Women and hifi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Elliott Leishman said:
Oh god, guys please stick to talking about hifi's, which you are all great at. Anything else and it shows that most of you have been locked in a dark room since the 70s listening to prog and reading sticky hifi mags :p

from what i've seen of Whathifi employees thay have a few woman reviewers and writers, which is great! the more the merrier!

probably the main reason why its only a few is that men get paid more then women, so generally have more money to waste on luxuries. its not because their ovaries hurt when they see a expensive speaker.

if anyone’s interested in reading a good book about science between genders read delusions of gender by Cordelia Fine, it might educate you guys a bit :)

*Standing ovation*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Elliott Leishman said:
Oh god, guys please stick to talking about hifi's, which you are all great at. Anything else and it shows that most of you have been locked in a dark room since the 70s listening to prog and reading sticky hifi mags :p

from what i've seen of Whathifi employees thay have a few woman reviewers and writers, which is great! the more the merrier!  

probably the main reason why its only a few is that men get paid more then women, so generally have more money to waste on luxuries. its not because their ovaries hurt when they see a expensive speaker.

if anyone’s interested in reading a good book about science between genders read delusions of gender by Cordelia Fine, it might educate you guys a bit :)

*Standing ovation*

No. 'Standing Ovation' was written by S.N. Roy.

A bloke.

bluedroog said:
I know plenty of woman who appreciate a good Hi-Fi, they just wouldn't waste their time talking about it on the internet. Mind you, I'm not adverse to sucking on a teat but you'll not find me on Mumsnet talking breast pumps.

;-)

This might be a more informative thread if we actually had some female posters....

Oh, hello Clare....

drummerman said:
Clare Newsome said:
Elliott Leishman said:
Oh god, guys please stick to talking about hifi's, which you are all great at. Anything else and it shows that most of you have been locked in a dark room since the 70s listening to prog and reading sticky hifi mags :p

probably the main reason why its only a few is that men get paid more then women, so generally have more money to waste on luxuries. its not because their ovaries hurt when they see a expensive speaker.

*Standing ovation*

No. 'Standing Ovation' was written by S.N. Roy.

A bloke.

:)

we are having a night in,a few beers with the turntable in action, and live boxing on the telly all night.

when i said to the mrs this was the plan, her response was "Cool".

first record is spinning right now. Panic! at the disco- Death of a Batchelor (yeah, thats hers)

and it sounds pretty good too.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Nice to hear from a real woman, although - as is so often the case in the wine world - I guess Clare's involvement here is likely from a professional involvement.

I will certainly check out that book.

I can't get the notion of standing ovulations out of my head. I must be a terminal case...

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Well I think I am lucky to get away with have what I got in the house as my Dali opticon 8s are pretty big .

so I have a wife that's used to me and my ways when it comes to hifi which is good but I let her do her hobbies too so it does come down to give and take .

my only complaint is she seems to want to talk when I am deep into my music which can be a pain .

but if I want to talk about a bit of hifi she is clueless

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Just because Clare Newsome was a well-respected WHF journalist and forum contributor doesn't make the generalisation less true that women aren't into HiFi. You may as well say it isn't true that women aren't much into fast cars because hey look at Sabine Schmitz. It's still a true generalisation. Men and women are just different, and the biggest problem both genders have is accepting each other's differences.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
avole said:
Says you guys are full of ****. I agree. This is the 21stC, not the age of the "Carry On" films attitude to women.

No one here has been slagging off women. If you think they have, then that interpretation is entirely of your own making.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
At the concerts I go to (classical) women make up the majority of the audience. Women like music, but are not that interested in audio equipment. Women also like cars but are generally not interested in what makes them work, or in pumping up their tyres. Women like houses, but generally not to interested in the plumbing.

So?

Actually my wife has made the final decisions on most of our hifi and video purchaces, though I am the one who researches and sets up the systems. I value her judgement on sound and picture quality over mine.

Would she spend more than one minute on this forum? Most certainly not! Draw your own conclusions.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
They know which (male) mug spends the money on it- they have a different set of priorities. Not that women don't like music as much as men - they do.

tonky

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts