Wireless zero configuration setting

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm experiencing regular cutouts when trying to play spotify through my airport express and it's reeeeally starting to grate now. Usually the first song i'll play will be fine but after that i get cutouts every couple of minutes or less.

I tried turning off the windows zero configuration thing but then airofil doesn't seem to recognise my express. Also, when i disconnect from the express manually i can't seem to connect unless i turn WZC back on. Is there something i haven't done in order to be able to connect without using the WZC setting?

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm assuming you're using Windows XP? If you want to disable the Wireless Zero Configuration service, you'll need to install the wireless manufacturer's wireless utility in order to get your wireless network to connect (which will bypass the WZC service allowing you to disable it). With any luck, you may have a disc which came with your PC that has the client on it. However, if you don't, you can usually download it from the manufacturer's website.

In this instance, to find out the manufacturer of the wireless network card, go into Device Manager. This can be found by going to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management, then click on the Device Manager entry in the left hand pane and look for your wireless card under the Network Adapters heading:

image1.jpg

NB - so in the above you can see the wireless card is made by Intel.

Going to the manufacturer's website should then hopefully yield a client you can install to connect to a wireless network without using the WZC service.

A

Anonymous

Before starting to experiment with all this: Is the streaming to the AE the problem or receiving the stream from the internet ie does it play on your local pc without glitches? You can check your pc with dpclat,exe (google..) to see if your system is clogged by bad drivers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guys.

Pete - Spotify seems to work when just playing through my laptop, it's only when i play through airfoil and the airport express that i get cutouts. I ran the program you suggested and it said that there shouldn't be any problems.

professorhat - The wireless card on my laptop is realtek. I went to the realtek website and downloaded a 'wireless lan IC' called 'IEEE 802.11b/g/n single chip'.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true

I have no idea if this is the right thing for connecting to the express, or in fact how to use it - i downloaded and installed it but when i open it the only thing that comes up is 'my computer'. Should i still be using the network connections panel in windows (im using xp by the way), in order to connect to the express or should i only be using the realtek software? Sorry, i really have very little idea of how to set up a wireless connection without using WZC.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,

No, you shouldn't need to use the Network Connections panel any more, it should all be done through the Realtek client. I've had a quick look at the site and it's pretty sparse on useful information unfortunately so I can't really help any more. Probably worth phoning / emailing Realtek to see if you can get some support from them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts