Wireless Streaming HD Content.

rgill90

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi All

I've got a number of mkv's with HD content on an external USB portable harddrive - I usually plug this into my macbook pro and using plex I play them through my panasonic plasma. Trouble is the disk is getting rather full so i'm in the market for some new storage. I thought about getting a NAS to plug into my Wireless G router then stream content via the router. Is this possible? Does anyone else have a similar setup to what i'm trying to achieve? If so what equipment should I look into and are there any inherent pitfalls to doing this?

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

scene

The biggest issue you'll have is actually streaming over a 54Mbps Wireless G link. If your router is a significant distance away from your player (the Mac), you're unlikely to get much more than 11Mbps. In which case, HD streaming may be a dream. You would be better to consider hardwiring your PC to the network, or using homeplugs. You might fair better with Wireless N, but that has quite a high dropoff rate with distance.

rgill90

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot for that reply - the distance is not too far away but since i want to 'future proof' the solution, homeplugs would be a good idea. Definitley something i'll consider.

So say i went with homeplugs, do you think it'll be a relativley hassle free operation playing back the mkvs from the NAS to the macbook? (Provided i setup the NAS correctly, etc) Its mainly temporamental stuttering / drop outs I'm afriad of!

scene

Does your macbook pro and plex need to come into the equation? If you're going to play the movies back on your Panny plasma anyway, why not use a dedicated media streamer, something like a WD TV Live (which should support .mkv) and hardwire that to your router (or even NAS). Save on the expense of the homeplugs and use straight CAT5e / CAT6 cable...

rgill90

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
that would be a good solution but cat 5 cabling at the mo isn;t an option where I am which is why i'm wanting to go down the wireless / homeplug route....a wired solution as u suggest will be the ideal solution if i move tho.

TRENDING THREADS