Win a pair of Acoustic Energy Reference 1 speakers & stands worth £1700!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BenLaw said:
plastic penguin said:
BenLaw said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I don't have 1000 or more posts but agree Intirely !!!

Rules are rules and we have to respect them...

I think if PP had his way, only those with 10,000 or more posts would be eligible to enter ;)

You're out of order!! don't give a t### about how many posts someone has or not... would be nice to see someone who'd genuinely use them.

Out of order? By making a joke? To someone else? Which simply took their joke further? And brought it back to the person upon whose comment the original joke was based? I'd expect a penguin to be more chilled!

Btw, do you mean nice to use the prize? How do you know they won't?

To actually see someone who'd appeciate it in their system. If they had a scintilla of hi-fi interest I'd bet you a tin of 'Cow & Gate' they would post something on here. Or has loyalty totally gone thru the window?

If you had won these speakers, even though you don't need them, I would've been "genuinely" pleased...

I'm glad you would have been, and fwiw I've listened to these speakers and they're fantastic, I'd have loved a pair.

But to suggest there's any correlation between enjoyment / appreciation of good speakers and posting on the forum is a leap too far in my view. You might be right but you might just as easily be wrong. There's plenty of people who enjoy hifi and have no interest in forums. I hope they've found a good home, but I won't lose sleep over it either way.

May I add my congratulations to the winners.

As far as I am aware anyone who 'joins the club' is eligable to enter these competitions, whether they choose to add comments to this forum is irrelevent. Some choose to read-only and that's fine. Most people enter competitions for the sake of it they do not necessarily intend to use the prize itself and that is also fine.

To expect a review out of all the prize winners might be asking a wee bit too much methinks.

david_hardeman

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I am overjoyed at winning the AE speaker competition, I've never won anything before.

I'm in a bit of a pickle though because about 6 months ago I bought a pair of Monitor Audio PL100s and more recently a new Cyrus X-power to bi-amp them which means that the AE1 don't really fit into my system. I'm really happy with the system I have yet overjoyed that I have a new addition to consider. I know the AE Ref 1s are superb but they don't fit in with my current hi-fi set-up.

It does seem likely though if I can't find someone in the family who'll appreciate the new speakers that I may have to consider selling them on. I'm sure that's not going to go down too well here but I'm a serious hi-fi enthusiast and spent all the money I have on the set-up I have at the moment which I'm very happy with.

Regards,

David

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Well done David, you won fair and square and you can do whatever suits you. I think people forget these competitions are not WHF forum comps but website (perhaps even mag, not sure as I don’t buy it), whether you post or how much you post should have zero bearing on your chances of winning.

I think some people have faint hope that by making themselves heard on these threads it will put them in the frame next time, it won’t. Unless something is really low value AND I don’t need it the chances are I will enter, if it is something I need or an upgrade on what I have great, if not then I’ll make a few quid or make a friend happy, I’d be surprised if anyone enters with a greatly different frame of mind.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi David, you don't know me but i'm you cusin in 7th degree from you mother, aunty, grand grand grand father side!

I' m the Outlaw, you must know me for sure, don't you...!? ;)

Congrat on the prize!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
david_hardeman said:
Hi all,

I am overjoyed at winning the AE speaker competition, I've never won anything before.

I'm in a bit of a pickle though because about 6 months ago I bought a pair of Monitor Audio PL100s and more recently a new Cyrus X-power to bi-amp them which means that the AE1 don't really fit into my system. I'm really happy with the system I have yet overjoyed that I have a new addition to consider. I know the AE Ref 1s are superb but they don't fit in with my current hi-fi set-up.

It does seem likely though if I can't find someone in the family who'll appreciate the new speakers that I may have to consider selling them on. I'm sure that's not going to go down too well here but I'm a serious hi-fi enthusiast and spent all the money I have on the set-up I have at the moment which I'm very happy with.

Regards,

David

Hi David,

welcome to the forum and congrats on your win :) Glad to see I was right when I said the winners may well be hifi enthusiasts who simply don't post on the forum. Had I been fortunate enough to win I would probably have been in the same situation as you. If you do sell them, someone else will be very happy at a good price and you will have some money to repay your earlier investment :)

Feel free to get more involved tho, and maybe even post some pics of your great sounding system :)

Cheers,

Ben

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts