wilmslow Audio K100

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
So Now Ive decided to build some kit speakers and I've already listened to a finished pair already and im going to give my thoughts for anyone thats interested but first I want to tell you how I got to this place.

Many of you may find this boring but this is more for me to get a few things off my chest.

Having sold my Nadc270 and C160 pre amp in 2007 I started to crave a decent hifi again in 2011. Reading reviews online and what hifi got me interested in Roksan Kandy K2 and brought one blind on ebay in 2012. Then Ive spent another few years to get speakers. Ive tested Monitor audio rx6 and 8. Kef Q series, Dynaudio then finally went for KefR700s and was loving it until I started to notice the sound get a bit grainy or distorted on higher volume so looked for a new amp. Only from reading on this Forum I brought a Hegel H160 then 28 days later, took it back to get the H360.

Then as what happens to lots on here, the upgrade bug kicked in - what would it sound like if I had better speaker?

So I tested ATC SCM40s and instantly knew these were for me - they sounded to me great.....

So I made up my mind about buying a pair of these..........But

Then I read things online and also posts on here about compromises regards speaker driver size, style v performance etc. So my mind started to think - hence why all my recent posts about size of speaker etc.

I was reasured that adding a sub to the scm40s would sort that all out but I never have been convinced of this for some reason and wondered what if I had a large bass driver instead. So now was looking at the large JBLs and other vintage no compromise speakers.

As I love the ATC presentation, I naturally looked at SCM100s until I saw the price - these things go 2nd hand - new and passive - active anything from £6000 - £12 000 - totally out of my price range by a long shot.

So was thinking maybe I could stick on a JBL sub with ACT40s but then with me being me and wanting the best or materialistic I would have had to have 2 so heres a break down of all the costs:

Hegel H360 £3400

ATC SCM40 £3200

JL Subs E110 £1600 x2

Total Cost £ 9800

Excluding any discount of course but for that Money I could have gotten SCM100 active

So now - and very lucky for me I have a shot of getting Kit speakers -or a replica model of the older MK1 SCM100s

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
So now on to the demo.

Im not going to say the usual things but all I'll say is I was blown away with the sound pressure levels without any sign of stress.

The sheer volume - My amp goes in steps up to 99 and I only dared go up to 60 and already this sounded as loud as a rock concert. The bass kicks very hard but not also very very tight and not at all boomy.

The chap at the shop said Ill close the door and you can play them as loud as you want.

They weigh 50kg each.

The tweeter is a scanspeak, the mid range is the same ATC midrange used in the scm40s and the bass driver is 12 inch but not the SL Driver - I called atc and even they confirmed would not really make a big difference.

The only problem I can forsee them these is being to large for the uk size rooms but its a compromise im willing to endure as when I move that wont be an issue.

Also as a disclaimer: Im not saying these would be right for evryone also as they may be just to brutal for most uk living spaces.

All I can say is when I finished listening I felt a rush like id just come off the smiler at alton towers. Best speakers Ive ever heard and a lot closer in power and dynamics to my old PA Rig only better quality

So ill keep this thread going with pictures of my build how its going - but have not even ordered the wood yet as cant decide the vaneer.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Ironically, Wilmslow's K100 are very liked in the asian hifi community. Had the pleasure to hear a revisited K50 in Thailand and it sounded absolutely great. I will probably go to wilmslow if I'm somewhere near UK in the next years.

I stay tuned.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
Ironically, Wilmslow's K100 are very liked in the asian hifi community. Had the pleasure to hear a revisited K50 in Thailand and it sounded absolutely great. I will probably go to wilmslow if I'm somewhere near UK in the next years.

I stay tuned.

Whats even more impressive is that the demo room i heard them in was very far from perfect conditions. The chap said if it sounds good in there it will sound much better in the house

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Carry on sir. *i-m_so_happy*

img_0037.jpg

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Yes, looking forward to this.

The drivers (mid and low range) take up to 12 weeks and there is also the small issue of funds but ill order the cabinets first and start building, sanding and finish then order the drivers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
drummerman said:

The drivers (mid and low range) take up to 12 weeks and there is also the small issue of funds but ill order the cabinets first and start building, sanding and finish then order the drivers.

Fantastic, not wanting to sound like Go Comp ... .

I don't know how handy you are with regards of cabinet finishing but if you run into difficulties perhaps Collin can give some tips, he had a fair few trials.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Andrewjvt said:
drummerman said:

I don't know how handy you are with regards of cabinet finishing but if you run into difficulties perhaps Collin can give some tips, he had a fair few trials.

Is that the evil corporation with child labor factories in Sudan and Somalia that I've been hearing about on the internet lately? :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:
Andrewjvt said:
drummerman said:

Is that the evil corporation with child labor factories in Sudan and Somalia that I've been hearing about on the internet lately? :)

:)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Andrewjvt said:
drummerman said:

Im a jack of all trades master of ........ haha no ill be fine i hope

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Great project.

No doubt, suggestions for finishes will flood in soon so, wasting no time ... here is mine;

Deeply laquered Maple ala Quad

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Blimey, they're big fellas, good luck with the project Andrew, I'll look forward to seeing the results. I've long hankered after a project like this, but I'm way too lazy these days.

Diamond Joe said:
Blimey, they're big fellas, good luck with the project Andrew, I'll look forward to seeing the results. I've long hankered after a project like this, but I'm way too lazy these days.

Crikey they are. You could add wheels to them and drive to the shops. I think if I was to build a pair that size Mrs. P would lay an egg.

plastic penguin said:
Diamond Joe said:

Crikey they are. You could add wheels to them and drive to the shops. I think if I was to build a pair that size Mrs. P would lay an egg.

"We are going to need a bigger boat!" :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Seems like a really good project. How long are you anticipating it'll take to build once you receive all the gubbins?

You clearly play music really loud (the overriding sentiment from the 360 and now these is "power"), or is that being over critical?

I like music loud but its a very low distortion so you can play loud without horrible sound.

But what i think will interest you is you can play very soft also without losing the dynamics.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Almost forgot one of the best things.

I listened at very high volume for about 2 hours and when i finished my amp never even felt hot or warm on the casing so these speakers are very efficient also.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This looks like a very, very nice product. In the transmission line section there are some very PMC MB2SE-ish looking models at a fraction of the price. On the basis that the PMC and ATC 75mm midrange domed driver are identical (one copied off the other or so I heard) there is a lot of speaker available here at a fraction of the retail price that either of those manufacturers would charge.

Having just got rid of my very big boxes you have planted another seed. You bad man Andrew!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts