Will Sonos Connect:Amp be enough for B&W CM-1?

sjndre

Nov 25, 2020
Visit site
Will Sonos Connect:Amp be enough for B&W CM-1? The amp provides 55 watts per channel. The CM-1's have a reccomended range of 30-100 watts,

Sliced Bread

I can’t comment on how they would sound together but the CM1’s are 8 ohms with 5.1 ohm minimum which isn’t too tricky but this is combined with an 84db sensitivity which I think is a bit on the low side.

This is probably not the best answer, but I would order it from somewhere you can easily return it to be on the safe side.

D

Deleted member 116933

Will Sonos Connect:Amp be enough for B&W CM-1? The amp provides 55 watts per channel. The CM-1's have a reccomended range of 30-100 watts,

id say you're getting very close to the limit of what the Sonos amp do comfortably as mentioned above they're not overly difficult to drive but with the combo of the low sensitivity, the impedance could present a problem in a larger room.

I guess all you can really do is give it ago

sjndre

Nov 25, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the answers. Bought a used one yesterday. As not to wake up the neighbors, I only gave it a short go before heading to work. It wasn't bad, but I think I'm hearing a noticeable difference from my NAD C 345BEE. Will have to do a blind test when I get home.

rainsoothe

Thanks for the answers. Bought a used one yesterday. As not to wake up the neighbors, I only gave it a short go before heading to work. It wasn't bad, but I think I'm hearing a noticeable difference from my NAD C 345BEE. Will have to do a blind test when I get home.
While it will work, it won't get the best out of your CM1. Think Roksan K3 (or K2 even) or Naim Nait 5si, Cyrus One HD - that kind of stuff. Or at least some Rotel (A11 Tribute or a used RA 1062).

sjndre

Nov 25, 2020
Visit site
While it will work, it won't get the best out of your CM1. Think Roksan K3 (or K2 even) or Naim Nait 5si, Cyrus One HD - that kind of stuff. Or at least some Rotel (A11 Tribute or a used RA 1062).

You're right. At lower volumes it was indistinguishable when casually listening - I had to concentrate to notice a difference. At a loss of the right terminology, I'd say the sound became a bit more unclear/compressed. At very high volumes the sound was distorted and I had to turn it down. It was especially apparent in the bass region.

For every day listening, I think the complacency of not having to manually switch on the amp and not having to switch channels depending on whether I'm listening through Sonos or the TV, will be sufficient reasons for me to stick with the Connect: Amp.

When I move to a new apartment in half a year I will have to consider upgrading to the Sonos Amp. As I'm not too knowledgable in the realms of amplifiers, I would greatly appreciate any advice on other amps that have an "auto-detect" feature, so that I don't have to turn it on manually every time I want to use it. Is that a thing, or is it limited to Sonos?

Last edited:

rainsoothe

You're right. At lower volumes it was indistinguishable when casually listening - I had to concentrate to notice a difference. At a loss of the right terminology, I'd say the sound became a bit more unclear/compressed. At very high volumes the sound was distorted and I had to turn it down. It was especially apparent in the bass region.

For every day listening, I think the complacency of not having to manually switch on the amp and not having to switch channels depending on whether I'm listening through Sonos or the TV, will be sufficient reasons for me to stick with the Connect: Amp.

When I move to a new apartment in half a year I will have to consider upgrading to the Sonos Amp. As I'm not too knowledgable in the realms of amplifiers, I would greatly appreciate any advice on other amps that have an "auto-detect" feature, so that I don't have to turn it on manually every time I want to use it. Is that a thing, or is it limited to Sonos?
Well, Naim recommend leaving their amps on 24/7 anyway, so you can have a digital hub, like a streamer with digital inputs that you can run your TV through, and you're set. Of course, you can't control the volume with the app, you'll need an all-in-one for that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts