Will Running A Active Sub From Speaker Output 2 Damage It?

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, just need advice on if the way i have connected up my MS active sub will damage my Arcam A65 amp.

I have connected the speaker inputs from the MS sub to the second set of speaker outputs on my A65 and when i want to use the sub i just activate the speaker 2 button on the A65. I connected it this way as it was the only way that allowed my sub to work with the volume control.

Will i be safe to run my main speakers with the sub and speakers 2 activated at the same time?

My main speakers are 6ohms so after a few hours use the A65 does get a little hot and i was worried using the sub at the same time as the speaker 2 button doesn't mute the main speakers and although the amp in theory would be running 2 sets of speakers the MS sub does have a built in amp so would i still be getting the maximum watts to my main speakers or would the amp split the wattage between the main speakers and sub even though the sub has it's own built in amp?

Any advice would be great as i don't want to run the sub yet and risk blowing my amp untill i know it's safe to do so.

Thanks

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Yes i am using the High level input. This is because the sub allows you to go from amp to sub and then you connect the main speakers to the sub. I did try the connection this way but it made the main speakers sound flat, So instead i just connected the speaker 2 outputs of my amp to the sub's input and left my main speakers connected to my amp.

Would the way i have done it be fine?

I can connect the sub to the same speaker inputs as my main speakers as the speaker wire i use for them isn't too thick. Would this damage anything by doing it that way?

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply BigChris.

So connecting it to speaker output 2 would be fine or would i be best to connect the sub to the same terminals?

I wouldn't be using the sub all of the time, just when i listen certain types of music or when the neighbours are out
rockout.gif

I asked the question as i know when you run two sets of the speakers at the same time the amount of watts per speaker would be halfed but was woundering if that would still happen when the second speakers have a built in amp (like my sub) and if it would damage or strain the amp at all.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
You'll be fine using the 'SP2' connections. The Arcam isn't driving the sub it's just sending a signal to the sub's amp.

Like I said, I have had my PV1 connected to the switched 'SP2' terminals on my old and current amps and had no problems at all.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks big chris, i thought that might be the case but just thought i would check first as i didn't wanna strain the A65. Thanks for your help.
grin.gif

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
If you use the high level input for your sub there is no fear that it will cause damage to your main amplifier as the input impedence of the high level input is very high and the current drawn from the main speakers is minimal and will not affect the output speaker impedence thus sound quality.

Actually you can just connect the high level input of your sub to your main amplifier's speaker outputs. When you don't want to use the sub just switch it off which is what I am doing at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts