Wiim Pro streamer

robdmarsh

The Wiim Pro streamer finally became available on Amazon and I thought I'd get one to see if the SQ could beat that of Amazon streamed over LDAC bluetooth with my ifi Zen One signature DAC. And the answer is as I suspected: no, it can't.
I can hear no difference between the Wiim Pro over wifi and the Zen One signature over bluetooth. The bit rate with Amazon HD using wifi is about 3x that of the bit rate using LDAC bluetooth with the Zen One. I should point out that is when using the DAC in the Zen One sig in both cases, so only the streaming method and hardware is different, the rest of the system from the DAC to speakers is the same. They both sound great but I certainly couldn't confidently hear the difference between them. The Amazon HD interface using the Wiim app is not as nice or fast as the native Amazon HD interface and I can't seem import my playlists into the Wiim Pro app. It's also an ugly little plastic box.

So this is quite a big discovery for me: I can't distinguish a full-fat hi res file from a compressed FLAC file using bluetooth. I'm not sure what the actual numbers are but there's a big difference. BUT... I can tell the difference when I swap out speaker cables, interconnects and power supplies. I reckon I'm probably the opposite of quite a few people on here. Let's hear what you guys think. Are you bothered about genuine hi-res audio and able to distinguish it?

WayneKerr

Bothered? Nope! I've got about half a dozen hi-res albums and never heard any difference whatsoever. CD quality is more than good enough... even some 320kbps mp3 files can sound damned impressive. Recording quality is more important than anything else.

Used to think SACD was king but lately I'm even questioning these as they appear to be recorded louder than the identical standard CD.

Reactions: Noddy
Bothered? Nope! I've got about half a dozen hi-res albums and never heard any difference whatsoever. CD quality is more than good enough... even some 320kbps mp3 files can sound damned impressive. Recording quality is more important than anything else.

Used to think SACD was king but lately I'm even questioning these as they appear to be recorded louder than the identical standard CD.
odd, don't know which SACDs you have but I find I have to crank the amp up a bit compared to CD level....

clanking

Feb 6, 2023
Visit site
I haven't done any thorough testing on sound quality between my Wiim mini and Bluetooth to the amp. But I like not using Bluetooth as in general I find it a terrible technology to use.

If you setup Amazon Alexa in the Wiim app you can the use the native Amazon Music app and select the Wiim as the output. It has to be the Alexa Wiim integration, which confused me as I have no Alexa nor any interest in an Alexa.

Reactions: Noddy

robdmarsh

I haven't done any thorough testing on sound quality between my Wiim mini and Bluetooth to the amp. But I like not using Bluetooth as in general I find it a terrible technology to use.

If you setup Amazon Alexa in the Wiim app you can the use the native Amazon Music app and select the Wiim as the output. It has to be the Alexa Wiim integration, which confused me as I have no Alexa nor any interest in an Alexa.
I'm not talking about using the bluetooth function on the Wiim Pro but the ifi Zen One signature in its bluetooth mode. This gives excellent sound quality and a rock solid signal with no drop outs. The sound quality is much better than the Bluesound Node 2021, which I had for a while but got rid of and now I am of the belief that a full-fat hi res streamer is redundant when you have this wonderful device (the ifi Zen One sig that is).

SteveR750

I can't consistently discern between CDA and hi res, unless the track has been remastered and released in 24 bit. One great example is Rumours from Fleetwood Mac. The 24 bit remaster sounds way better than the CD version (on qobuz and the one I bought years ago from HD Tracks.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts