WiFi and Bluetooth disaster - help please

manicm

I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. A pair of Edifier Bluetooth equipped desktop speakers were interfering with my WiFi- slowing it down significantly. The kicker was that I WASN’T using the Bluetooth option but cable option to my laptop. Thus the speaker’s Bluetooth option seemed always on whether the analog or optical option were used or not.

At first I thought it was just a general ISP slowdown, but wasn’t.

Now after Googling it seems many others have had the same problem. Bluetooth apparently operates in the same 2.4ghz band as WiFi.

One solution may be to try another WiFi channel. Or use the 5ghz band, which I cannot use because of walls between my room and the router.

What are members’ experience of using Bluetooth speakers with a laptop on the same desk?

Maybe the speakers’ shortcoming of not being able to switch its Bluetooth off? Sad cos the Edifiers sound brilliant.

Or should I replace my WiFi card in my 7 year old laptop?

manicm

I’m assuming you suggest I open the speakers up? Short of that I disconnected the Edifiers from Windows so it’s not visible as a Bluetooth device.

I have the Edifier e25hd. It’s not ugly, it’s probably also inaccessible inside.

nads

No don't.
Ignore me. I overlooked the important fact that the Edifier is a BT receiver only......It's BT transmission that you say is causing your issue - so disabling a receiver won't help you.
But it does still transmit BT Or nothing could find it to transmit to.

maybe the OP should look to changing the Chanel the WIFI is using?

Vincent Kars

should I replace my WiFi card in my 7 year old laptop?

I don't expect a discrete card inside a laptop.

My PC is connected to the internet over WiFi and I can listen to my BT headphone without a problem.

Try to isolate the problem
Open the resource monitor
Pair the Edifier
Play some music.
Do you see any process peaking, excessive CPU/ IO/ etc.
Maybe an ill behaving driver?

manicm

Since you are using wire to the speakers, turn off the laptop's bluetooth. If you still have slow internet then the problem lies elsewhere. Checking the wifi bands in use around you is always a good idea.

That’s an idea, I removed the speaker from Windows as a Bluetooth device, but I still keep Bluetooth on as I use a Logitech Bluetooth mouse - which doesn’t cause any problems by itself. I can use it via infrared receiver too so I’ll give it a try.

manicm

No don't.
Ignore me. I overlooked the important fact that the Edifier is a BT receiver only......It's BT transmission that you say is causing your issue - so disabli

My PC is connected to the internet over WiFi and I can listen to my BT headphone without a problem.

Pair the Edifier
Play some music.

I think it may have. I’ll check it out since I have to drop by laptop to the workshop to replace its battery.

manicm

Pair the Edifier
Play some music.

Interesting you say you have a BT headphone, so do I - a Logitech Zone Wireless. Now that you mention this colleagues and family often said they couldn’t hear me properly on video calls through my laptop. But on my iPhone was fine.

This leads me to believe that my laptop’s Wi-Fi module is not well insulated or prone to interference?

Listening to music through the Logitech on the laptop is fine though - doesn’t affect my Wi-Fi, and music is not interrupted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts