Why so mean with inputs

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Those Dali ax5s reviewed today look great. I could imagine if I was starting out a system going straight for them, but like so many similar products there's a shortage of inputs.

Surely if a company wants to sell a speaker "system" there should be a few regular RCA analogue inputs and a coaxial inputs, maybe even a b type USB.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
Those Dali ax5s reviewed today look great. I could imagine if I was starting out a system going straight for them, but like so many similar products there's a shortage of inputs.

Surely if a company wants to sell a speaker "system" there should be a few regular RCA analogue inputs and a coaxial inputs, maybe even a b type USB.

I couldn't agree more. They are not even proper actives, so that combined with a lack of connectivity would push me towards a more traditional integrated amp that I could choose myself.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm not even sure what full active is, all I know is some sets need an amp, some have it built in. A set of speakers like these have great potential, I mean most could probably make them work with a bit of faffing around with input connections etc.

I really think that a little box sort of like what smart TVs have would be the way to go. One connection to the speakers with a thick multi cable to a box that has power, analog, digital connections that can go behind a rack or fit onto the speakers also. But either way they are a nice option

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
I'm not even sure what full active is, all I know is some sets need an amp, some have it built in. A set of speakers like these have great potential, I mean most could probably make them work with a bit of faffing around with input connections etc.

I really think that a little box sort of like what smart TVs have would be the way to go. One connection to the speakers with a thick multi cable to a box that has power, analog, digital connections that can go behind a rack or fit onto the speakers also. But either way they are a nice option

They have kept the passive crossover rather than using an active crossover. Pro's and con's for both. Active crossovers are supposed to allow the amp(s) more control over the drivers, making them start and stop on a proverbial sixpence leading to a very powerful and tight bass. They also allow a certain amount of control over the crossover point and some even offer built in DSP. However one of the big downsides for some people with actives is that you are tied to the amp because it is integrated in to your speakers. You also have to plug them both in or daisy chain them.

So my point about the AX5's is that you have all of the amps built in but with no real sonic benefit from doing so. Although they do say they kept the crossover passive to maintain the sound so if that floats your boat then I guess they would be ideal.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Probably I'll be slaughtered as just another brainwashed AVI owner, but a pair of passive speakers with built in amplifcation would seem to have neither the advantages of a true active set-up nor the clear attraction of traditional passive speakers + separate amp(s) where you can swap the speakers and/or the amp(s) to match your sonic preferences. It's a strange decision for anything but budget speakers.

I concur regarding dearth of inputs. My speakers have one solitary pair of analogue inputs. I'm pretty sure another pair of inputs wouldn't have hurt.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts