why radio 3 in hd not radio one

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

the_lhc:I wouldn't bother wasting your breath NSY, just a troll under his bridge.

I've not bitten. It just seems fair to put my view in. It's always the same posters who try to offer some reason and just get shot down.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:I wouldn't bother wasting your breath NSY, just a troll under his bridge. who rattled your cage

you really do say to much about every thing you know nothing about, so grow up,
and post when you have something constructive to say thank you

talk about victor meldrew is he your friend.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
This thread is heading for the inevitable lock, unless of course the_lhc wishes to take up dvdaudio's suggestion and talk about Victor Meldrew.

However, the fact that Mr Meldrew is a) a fictional character and b) dead (within the fiction) means he is, I suspect, unlikely to be an acquaintance of Mr lhc.

John Duncan

Talking of cultural* extremes, am watching this thread closely...

Robert+De+Niro+-+bringing+his+angry+eyes+to+Cannes+2011.jpg

* I use the word loosely

(EDIT - ooo jinx)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Talking of cultural* extremes, am watching this thread closely...

Robert+De+Niro+-+bringing+his+angry+eyes+to+Cannes+2011.jpg

* I use the word loosely

(EDIT - ooo jinx)

That's Mr Jinx to you, sonny...

jack-byrnes-and-mr-jinx_480_poster.jpg

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
dvdaudio:the_lhc:I wouldn't bother wasting your breath NSY, just a troll under his bridge. who rattled your cage

Do you really have to ask?

you really do say to much about every thing you know nothing about,

Please stop, the irony is killing me...

so grow up,
and post when you have something constructive to say thank you

You're the one ranting about supposed conspiracy theories within the BBC and yet when respected employees of the magazine give you a sensible answer you ignore it because it doesn't fit your viewpoint. Ignore me, fine, as you suggest I don't know what I'm talking about but ignoring the opinion of someone like Clare is little more ridiculous.

talk about victor meldrew is he your friend.

I must be getting old, I can't even summon up the energy to give this the withering sneer it so richly deserves...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
the_lhc:but ignoring the opinion of someone like Clare is little more ridiculous.

Oh, cheers! Whereas mine...
emotion-4.gif

...is of the highest calibre obviously, I picked Clare simply because her explanation was almost exactly the same as mine, although I've been trying not to mention that as I didn't want to turn it into even more of a "him vs. me" situation, so highlighting our erstwhile E-I-C seemed a better option.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
More a realistic acknowledgement that most workplaces providing radio listening for their employees are more likely to be doing so using Radio 1 or 2, or perhaps a local music-based station, rather than Radio 3.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:More a realistic acknowledgement that most workplaces providing radio listening for their employees are more likely to be doing so using Radio 1 or 2, or perhaps a local music-based station, rather than Radio 3.

emotion-21.gif

KT66

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
dvdaudio:why is radio 3 given the hd treatment when radio 1 or radio 2 are not,
radio 1 and2 have far more listeners by far is this radio snobbery at work
for the upper classes, just like the money the arts get from the lottery to help ballet
or am i being paranoid your thoughts on this issue are welcome.

Simple Answer -R1 and most of R2 is very heavily compressed and raising the bit rate will make no difference.

Whether you like Classical or not (and I don't really) the quality of the recordings is light years ago of the pop rubbish on R1 so it can reap the benefit of higher rates.

I want R6 on FM!!!

and what is HD radio anyway ?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
KT66:
and what is HD radio anyway ?

Quite! In this instance it's a total misnomer and really just BBC's marketing ploy for what is merely a slightly less inadequate version of the R3 internet radio service. At less than 1/4 the bitrate of CD I think it takes some audacity to refer to it as 'HD'!

Or is it a clever bit of marketing, reflecting the fact that much of the music-listening public now regard 128 - 256 kbps bit-rates as providing 'normal' sound quality?

Either way I find it a rather absurd situation.

matthewpiano

NSYGrinner:
I would have thought most of Radio 1 and 2 listeners during the day would be either at work or in some work envirinment where it is just some background noise to help the time pass. That and the compressed sound would be more of a waste. Radio 3 on the other hand playing classical music is so much better to actually listen to. The extra quality will be useful and appreciated.

If I recall when cd first came out it was the classical recordings which were more of a driving force and getting released faster than chart stuff. When I got my first player it was more of a case of I'm going to buy a cd what is there available rather than I'm going to buy that title on cd instead of vinyl.

Furthermore, whereas the pop/rock world has all but dis-owned SACD, this higher resolution disc format still has considerable presence in the classical and jazz worlds, suggesting that the audiences for these kinds of music will generally be more bothered about the HD quality broadcasts.

raff

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
This transisition is nothing. Years ago, Radio 3 was one of the first programs to go on the new FM band! For a long while there was no pop at ALL. Then, on medium wave only, there was BBC Radio1. Eventually pop was taken seriously enough to join FM and later, God bless, in stereo!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts