Why does my hard drive sound better..?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

relocated said:
csq2 said:
The Oppo is not a dedicated CD player, so the laser is not that good. A dedicated CD player will sound a lot better due to less jitter. If you want even better sound upgrade your external hard drive to a SSD and hook it up with a premium USB cable.

:rofl: :wall: :help:

It was widely acknowledged that many early DVD players were rubbish at playing CDs - this was my experience from a Pioneer player as well over a decade ago. And the model I exchanged it for would have horrified many here by its explicitly bright sound. The difference between CD and DVD decks was partially down to their lasers operating at different light frequencies - early DVD lasers were simply not designed to get the best out of CDs. And in a good CD player, as everyone knows, the DAC is only half the story. Obviously technology has progressed since as manifested in good universal BD players now.

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
hammill said:
dragon76 said:
Hard drives do sound better and this is one the key factors of why people are moving from CDs to computer based playback. CD transports are rotating mechanisms that create vibrations which negatively impact sound quality. Also when laser reads a CD it may create errors. Very expensive CD transports/players try to eliminate these challenges thru various approaches, but even with lots of money put into engineering this doesn't solve the problem 100%. On the other hand, reading data from HDD is error free and there are no moving parts and much less vibration, so a HDD does the same job at much lower cost. Obviously not every computer audio setup is the same and the results may be different, but in general HDDs are better.
No moving parts in a hard disk? You are sadly misinformed.

I don't think I was misinformed, please go back to me post where I said 'much less vibration', I fact an SSD has no moving parts at all, and laptor sized 2.5 HDDs are almost silent and vibrate just little. Also, an important consideration for computer audio playback is to move HDD away from the transport's chassis, either by externally attaching it or by using network and NAS.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
dragon76 said:
I don't think I was misinformed, please go back to me post where I said 'much less vibration', I fact an SSD has no moving parts at all, and laptor sized 2.5 HDDs are almost silent and vibrate just little. Also, an important consideration for computer audio playback is to move HDD away from the transport's chassis, either by externally attaching it or by using network and NAS.

you are sadly misinformed if you believe that any vibration within a hard drive will have any effect on sound quality. Don't believe me - try playing back from an external hard drive and start moving the drive around, nudge it, make it vibrate - it will have no effect on the sound whatsoever. try it. the worst that will happen is that the music may stop if the heads skip.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
dragon76 said:
hammill said:
dragon76 said:
Hard drives do sound better and this is one the key factors of why people are moving from CDs to computer based playback. CD transports are rotating mechanisms that create vibrations which negatively impact sound quality. Also when laser reads a CD it may create errors. Very expensive CD transports/players try to eliminate these challenges thru various approaches, but even with lots of money put into engineering this doesn't solve the problem 100%. On the other hand, reading data from HDD is error free and there are no moving parts and much less vibration, so a HDD does the same job at much lower cost. Obviously not every computer audio setup is the same and the results may be different, but in general HDDs are better.
No moving parts in a hard disk? You are sadly misinformed.

Read your own post " reading data from HDD is error free and there are no moving parts ". You clearly claim that a HDD has no moving parts. This is nonsense . The rest of what you say about SSD disks sounding better is just very unlikely and you provide no evidence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts