Why does my hard drive sound better..?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I got the biggest shock today.. Pluged my hard drive into my Oppo BDP- 105EU blueray player. Then hit play, the sound quality was just rich warm & Expressive it was ulmost unbelievable. Am i gettin coloured sound.. Even am a music producer but it just sounds so good.. Still surpirse why this would be the case. Even i tried playing the same disc though the player its self, but was not gettin the same results or as good results when play the same tracks from a hard drive plugged into the oppo usb input.

I know someone would come up with a reason why this is the case.. or just may be going mad.. :rofl:

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
All I can think is that you have dirty discs or bad lens alignment or a vivid imagination.

Isn't a difference only going to arise if the stream sent to your Rega DAC is different? Assuming lossless files on the hard drive and error checking means the hard drive output is bitperfect the difference would be if your Oppo was failing to deliver a bit perfect signal, hence my dirty disks or bad laser alignment suggestions.

Beyond that I've no idea but I'm not the sharpest tool in the box.

Another idea, does the Oppo have any upsampling or other porocessing options engaged for disk replay?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Well the oppo player is new so it cnt be the lens.. even right now am not using the rega dac.. Letting the oppo dac do all the work.... I mean the music just got much more expressive!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't suprise me in the least.....provided I've picked you up right.

I have found that perfect rips, sent to a competent streamer, can easily outperform a CDP at similar money.

abacus

Burn some of your Hard Disc files to CD and then see if the CD sounds the same as the Hard Disk.

If they sound the same, then whatever program you used to rip them to the HDD must have been set to modify them in some way. (Assuming the Hard Disk files are definitely of the lossless variety)

If they don’t sound the same, then there is some sort of processing going on in the OPPO that is set different for CD & HDD.

Hope this helps

Bill

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Used cubase software to ripp most tracks direct frm cd rom to harddrive.That may be the case. But really it does not matter how... but just know my source now gives so much more emotion and detail.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
The Oppo is not a dedicated CD player, so the laser is not that good. A dedicated CD player will sound a lot better due to less jitter. If you want even better sound upgrade your external hard drive to a SSD and hook it up with a premium USB cable.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
csq2 said:
The Oppo is not a dedicated CD player, so the laser is not that good. A dedicated CD player will sound a lot better due to less jitter. If you want even better sound upgrade your external hard drive to a SSD and hook it up with a premium USB cable.

What difference is an SSD drive going to make?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
csq2 said:

So the laser in blu-ray dvd players is worse than a cd player?

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, as far as my understanding is, a HDD should send out more "correct" information than a CD laser.. CD lasers are analogue, and therefore prone to interference etc, which is why you have error correction in CD players. Error correction doesn't always produce corrected results. It's a very rudimentary understanding, so maybe someone with more knowledge can flesh it out?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
csq2 said:

So the laser in blu-ray dvd players is worse than a cd player?

We prefer "Differently enabled"... *pious face*

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
csq2 said:

:rofl: :wall: :help:

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I am definitely convinced my hard drive sounds better. So is there a way to set up a home network with my blueray player with out using it as the main display for titles of Albums & artist & album covers. Cause i can only do this right now through my main tele through the Oppo blueray palyer.

Would the all mighty Squeezebox play the part or may i need something else.. Or is there any harddrive network streamers with displays..? Any help welcome.

Thanx

csq2 said:
The Oppo is not a dedicated CD player, so the laser is not that good. A dedicated CD player will sound a lot better due to less jitter.

That must be wrong, sorry. Aside from being by general consesnsus one of the best bits of kit currently made, HiFi News reported on the Oppo 105 in January 2013 and said: "Jitter remains vanishingly low via disc-based media at <120psec...".

Your assertion doesn't really stack up against that, does it?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
csq2 said:
The Oppo is not a dedicated CD player, so the laser is not that good. A dedicated CD player will sound a lot better due to less jitter.

That must be wrong, sorry. Aside from being by general consesnsus one of the best bits of kit currently made, HiFi News reported on the Oppo 105 in January 2013 and said: "Jitter remains vanishingly low via disc-based media at <120psec...".

Your assertion doesn't really stack up against that, does it?

Am sorry but i can only go by ears.. May be the sound from my hard drive is coloured, & I may like it better.. It may be the case.... Also looking to get my music all in one place. but right now i need someone to help with display setup.

Thanx

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Hard drives do sound better and this is one the key factors of why people are moving from CDs to computer based playback. CD transports are rotating mechanisms that create vibrations which negatively impact sound quality. Also when laser reads a CD it may create errors. Very expensive CD transports/players try to eliminate these challenges thru various approaches, but even with lots of money put into engineering this doesn't solve the problem 100%. On the other hand, reading data from HDD is error free and there are no moving parts and much less vibration, so a HDD does the same job at much lower cost. Obviously not every computer audio setup is the same and the results may be different, but in general HDDs are better.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
dragon76 said:
Hard drives do sound better and this is one the key factors of why people are moving from CDs to computer based playback. CD transports are rotating mechanisms that create vibrations which negatively impact sound quality. Also when laser reads a CD it may create errors. Very expensive CD transports/players try to eliminate these challenges thru various approaches, but even with lots of money put into engineering this doesn't solve the problem 100%. On the other hand, reading data from HDD is error free and there are no moving parts and much less vibration, so a HDD does the same job at much lower cost. Obviously not every computer audio setup is the same and the results may be different, but in general HDDs are better.

Totally agree.......This is fleshing out what I was hinting at earlier.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
dragon76 said:
No moving parts in a hard disk? You are sadly misinformed.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Even a cheap cdp is capable of a bit perfect output. This has been proven. Same with dvd and blu ray players, as long as they don't resample the output to 48khz. Don't let silly little things like facts get in the way though! The only time a hdd has an advantage is with scratched discs, where the ripping software can make multiple attempts at getting a bit perfect rip.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts