Why does hifi sound better in warm Weather?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I have noticed this time & time again, or is there a theory behind the sound becoming more relaxed & fuller sound in hot weather?

I would like to know if anyone else has notices this phenomenal..

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
I have noticed this time & time again, or is there a thoery behind the sound becoming more relaxed & fuller sound in hot weather?

Interesting use of the swear filter, we'll have to limit our gardening discussions to rakes....

I definitely agree with record players, which I always put down to pickup cartridges preferring 25 - 30C ambient, improving tracking.

But might it be the same for some speakers? Looser diaphragm surrounds, maybe? Or more people enjoying the garden, so fewer TVs and PCs on to pollute the mains. Or maybe the listener has had a second beer? :cheers:

[BTW I should have done more crosswords as I cannot make out what was edited!]

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I think this website has got some bugs.. i tried to edit but would not have it. Anyway i think the theory of people using less electricity may have something to do with it. Less mains polution.? So i may benefit from getting a power mains block.. to clean & keep things sweet at all times.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Another vote here for HiFi sounding better at night, though I've not noticed much difference because of the weather. Maybe I would if I listened to it in a cold enviroment, but I don't, my living room is usually 20-22˚C most of the time.

T

the record spot

Native_bon said:
I have noticed this time & time again, or is there a theory behind the sound becoming more relaxed & fuller sound in hot weather?

I have never noticed this. By contrast does it sound bloody awful in a thunderstorm, or do you just play Wagner...?!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Isn't everything better in warm weather?

Drinking cider, listening to live music at festivals, making love to a beautiful woman.

Ah, the three best things in life. All better in warm weather.

No?

T

the record spot

Well, maybe not all at the same time...! Unless you've a bit of an exhibitionist streak in you!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Surprised I got that amount of bawdiness past the censor, when Buzzcocks is not allowed!

By "beautiful woman" I obviously meant spiritually beautiful.

By way of example, and not that they are my favourite band, but I have seen the Pogues at a gig in terrible rain, and then in beautiful weather - and the reception was by far the better under the sun! Did it actually sound better? Hell yes!

Or was that the cider?

A

Anonymous

Call me crazy but I swear my system sounds best in humid but wet weather, particularly before a thunderstorm.

I live in an area where there are often storms in the summer. Sound certainly travels better through damp weather. I can hear trains from miles away which I never hear in dry weather.

A

Anonymous

Call me crazy but I swear my system sounds best in humid but wet weather, particularly before a thunderstorm.

I live in an area where there are often storms in the summer. Sound certainly travels better through damp weather. I can hear trains from miles away which I never hear in dry weather.

So I dont see why the weather should not affect our hifis, not just about warming up the equipment more quickly but also about sound propogation through the atmosphere.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts