why do my speaker cones seem to move far more when listeing to vinyl than cd?

A

Anonymous

Because LPs often produce large amounts of energy below audibility (5-10Hz) which intermods with what you want to hear and spoils the sound. Some phono stages have an LF filter to reduce it.

Ash

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Can be minute warps in the record causing the cartridge to bounce and thus create the movement of the cones. Worth checking the downforce on your cartridge with a stylus gauge such as this - it could be running a bit light.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It may also be an isolation issue.

Ideally your turntable should be located away from the speakers (and not in their line of fire) to minimise floor-borne and airborne vibration feeding back through the turntable 'system'.

Turntables without sprung sub-chassis can be more prone to feedback ,especially if your speakers and your turntable are both sited on a suspended wooden floor.

If practical, try a wall mounted support for the turntable like this one from Project.

Rega also make a wall support that is a little more minimalist but only fits Rega turntables.

Optimally a wall support for a turntable should be mounted on a load bearing, masonry or brick wall.

A

Anonymous

Is this what's known in the business as 'cone flap'?

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
No, it's not dangerous. I would suggest that it is partly an amplification issue. I have heard absolutely thunderous low frequencies from a couple of LP based systems at higher volume levels with relatively little movement from the drive units due to very high quality amps being used. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts