Why a DAC?

sjp1966

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand a DAC (Digtal to Analogue Converter) will convert a digital signal (say music from a CD or ipod) and convert it to analogue to play through speakers.

What is the point of buying a seperate one? If I had a system then surely ther eis already one included, when I pop my CD in the drive the sound comes out the speakers? if I had an ipod, why would i channel it through speakers anyway. I just want to undersntad a little more about the why, or whats the point of them?

Thanks

abacus

The DAC and its associated components is what determines the quality of the sound output, the better the DAC the better the sound, (This is the reason most of the more expensive players have a better sound quality)

The DAC in most portable players is usually not brilliant the same as the cheaper CD players, however if you use the digital output into a quality DAC you can have the same quality of sound as a more expensive player.

Hope this clears up the confusion

Bill

Hi, welcome to the forum.
I can understand the basis of your question and you are correct in that most items of equipment like CD players / bluray players / ipods etc do have an internal dac they are often not of the best quality (as abacus states).
If you have a reasonable hifi system and want the best quality sound you can get then the best way to do it is to take a digital signal through an external DAC.
Indeed some hifi CD players come as a transport only requiring you to choose your own DAC.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Welcome.
Some equipment can be enhanced by the correct choice of an external DAC but much modern equipment will not. Very many people, for different reasons, would not need or even notice the difference that a seperate DAC might bring.

If you question why you would channel iPod music through speakers then I can't imagine that having a seperate DAC would really be for you.
HiFi is changing and the needs of old obsessives just doesn't wash with the new generations of music listeners, especially those who are in the least bit computer/digitally aware.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
You joined two and a half years ago and your first question is what's the point of a DAC. Where have you been lol.

It must be the start of a fiendish conspiracy, by shillers or trolls or something, probably or possibly or something.

Oh no that is just particular active speakers.

Sorry

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
"Why a DAC?"

Wasn't that a famous Marx Brothers routine?

Yes, it's the evil hifi industry getting you to spend money you don't need to.

For what it's worth, in my experience etc I've had TV or DVD sound going through some fairly pricy DACs with little - but some - improvement: sound is generally richer and smoother (less hard and shallow), but to be honest if you held a gun to my head I could live without it.

The main point of a DAC would seem to be to play music off a e.g. laptop without other devices, and the latest asynchronous DACs do this very well. But really, most digital hifi components have more than competent DACs already. As an example from my current system, I use the Naim CD outfit listed and tried the DAC input of a Naim NDX from the dig out of the CD5XS - preferred it without.

alex30

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I can only say that I bought a DAC in order to improve the sound quality and volume that I could receive from my fairly hard to drive AKG K 702 headphones, as opposed to plugging them directly into the headphone jack of my computer, having previously ripped all of my CDs onto an external hard drive. So I bought a DAC with a headphone amp built in - the Yulong DAH Mark 2 DAC.

Doing this makes playing my music so much easier as I don't have to change CDs and can also add tracks in to the playlist as I please. OK , my PC does have a built in DAC but it is of indifferent quality and I do hear an improvement with the Yulong and it drives the AKGs with consummate ease.

Regards Alex.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts