WHSV and members C352 vs PM6002

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, what CD player did you use in the budget amp test in the march edition of WHSV, and which one out of the C352 and PM6002 do you personally thinks sounds better and has the better stereo imagery and which one would you suggest for a room size of 7 x 5 metres. unable to get a demo of both but will be matching one of them to a CA 640C V2 and Gale 3040 speakers. Anyone with any of the two mentioned amps i would like to hear you comments on them and the kind of bass the PM6002 has thanks.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
We used our regular Naim CDS3/555PS reference CD player but, as it retails for the thick end of £10000, we also used a Marantz CD6002 - at £270 it's a bit more appropriate.

It's been a little while since we've used a C352 in anger - we'll be testing the C355BEE that's replaced it as soon as possible - but personally I've got fond memories of the NAD's grip, grunt and powers of resolution. Bass articulation is about the only thing we found to criticise in the Marantz's performance, but the slight lack of eloquence is more than compensated for by its overall verve.

I reckon the C352 is a better bet for out-and-out rooming-filling, but they're both expressive amplifiers - a lot will depend on the prices you've been quoted for the Marantz and the NAD. If the difference is the £100 our Buying Guide quotes, there's very little in it on a pound-for-pound basis. And it's safe to say that both are considerably more capable than your speakers are - they have to be your next upgrade.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Simon Lucas"]And it's safe to say that both are considerably more capable than your speakers are - they have to be your next upgrade.[/quote]

Hi Simon, what speakers would you suggest with a £300 budget including speaker stands are their any excellent floorstanders for that price(less chance of them been knocked over) but open to all suggestions thanks.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Funny you should ask - the current (April) issue has a Group Test of speakers, floorstanders and standmounters, £200-£300. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Obviously the mag has chapter and verse, all for £4.10, but I'd suggest you start by listening to Mordaunt-Short's Avant 914is (£300) - especially if you decide to go with the NAD amp - and the corking Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s (£200). They sound good on a pair of Soundstyle's Z2 (£60).

TRENDING THREADS