lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm an endless fiddler with my (HiFi/AV) equipment, obsessive about achieving the optimum sound with my limited budget. I do all this whilst battling with my girlfriend that any money I do spend would be better spent on her.

Recently I managed to get my hands on a Marantz SR7005 amp for little money, added a Beresford Bushmaster DAC between the Squeezebox and the amp and got some used Chord Epic speaker cable. With a slight repositioning of my Acoustic Energy Neo 3 front speakers my music had never seemed better. I started listening to all my music again with a sense of excitement. Bass was tight, drums had impact and cymbals didn't hiss.

With 3 upgrade successes in a row I now couldn't stop myself and decided I would go for a speaker upgrade for my birthday. This didn't go down well with my girlfriend but I talked her round eventually. My thinking was if my system sounded this good with Neo 3 fronts then how good would it sound with better bookshelf speakers. Tighter bass more detail, real wood veneer and smaller for asthetics.

Whoops! I now have a pair of Monitor Audio RX1's sitting on Partington Ansa 60 stands filling my room with boomy bass. This bass is clouding all the detail from the mid range as well. I now keep having to smile to my girlfriend and pretend just how excited I am about my new dissapointments.

Still it gives me something to fiddle with again but no actual musical enjoyment.

Any help would be appreciated, as long as you don't suggest replacing any of my equipment, as even the best salesman wouldn't get that past my girlfriend, and I'm skint.

Here is what I know, I have moved the speaker position a lot and it doesn't make any difference. 1 speakers is 9 * 13 inches away from a corner but as I said moving it further out doesn't seem to help, I have even tried adding foam in the corner.

My suspended wooden floors could also be a problem. I eliminated this with my last speakers by putting the speakers on granite slabs. My current line of investigation is the stands themselves as I placed books between the top plate and speakers and they are sounding a little better. I have ordered some Atacama gel pads so will report if they make a difference. I'm wondering whether an acoustic top plate is needed.

The stands were 2nd hand as were the speakers. The speakers are in perfect condition, although the stands aren't so much.

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I have tried the bungs and some straws (they were suprising good with my rear ported Neo 3's). The bungs really seem to muffle the sound which I didn't like.

Room treatment might work although I think I will struggle to find anywhere to put it. Only have one accessible corner.

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Sadly no demo for me as they were used. Also it probably wouldn't have thrown up if they would work in my room on these stands. I do believe the problem is correctable though.

Thanks Robin will investigate the world of bass traps.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you can fill your stands, do so with rice or kiln dried sand....experiment with different levels.

You are doing the right thing by trying to isolate the speakers from the floor as much as possible....suspended wooden floors can be a complete pain!

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Have you tried nipping up the driver securing screws? Or putting heavy books on top of the speakers? Four or five Argos catalogues each side will do. And add some colour too.

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I did tighten the some screws on the rear of the speakers if that's what you mean. The stands are aparently not able to be filled but I'm going to give it a go anyway. I'm sure I could squeeze a little in the 4 slim pillars of the stands.

I have the gel pads so will let you know how I get on.

Anyone got any ideas what to add as a top plate? I can't find any granite the right size. Granite chopping boards are far too big.

I will try adding some books tomorrow but not sure it is a permanent solution, especially from an asthetic view.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Les, the screws to which I was referring are those securing the speakers to the cabinet. I nipped mine up the other day, and the sound improved slightly Take care not to over-tighten, though.

The books are there to add mass, to reduce movement potential. My speakers are stood on small paving slabs. Five Argos catalogues weigh around ten pounds, so just try adding books to that weight, just to see.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts