Who listens to heavy music?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Big Chris said:
FYI

Free.... Yes FREE download of our 4 track E.P!

http://designsofchaos.bandcamp.com/album/the-chaos-engine

Great stuff Chris, you must be pretty chuffed with how that sounds!

Heard a lot of very technical metal recently where they just seem to have forgotten to write any actual riffs, so nice to hear you guys haven't neglected anything on that front!

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site

I will pick up the first album first then. I love Rise Above recoreds, they are one of my favorite record labels along with Southern records. I love the band Cathedral (Rise Above records was started by their lead singer Lee Dorrian if you did not know).

[/quote]

Indeed, and Napalm Death but I much prefer Cathedral. Always give `Witchfinder General` a blast or three every Halloween! Great riff on that track.

Talking of Rise Above Records my new Blood Ceremony 7" arrived this morning. :)

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
:)
omnibeard said:
Big Chris said:
FYI

Free.... Yes FREE download of our 4 track E.P!

Great stuff Chris, you must be pretty chuffed with how that sounds!

Heard a lot of very technical metal recently where they just seem to have forgotten to write any actual riffs, so nice to hear you guys haven't neglected anything on that front!

Thanks O.B. :)

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Been listening to this a lot over the last couple days, it's really excellent. Kind of exactly what I want from metal - riffs, solos (not too many), **** heavy drumming and mental vocals.

And recorded beautifully too.

How come you guys aren't huge, or is that the plan?

Do you recreate this tightness live? Ever play out Bristol way?

So many questions!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Been listening to this a lot over the last couple days, it's really excellent. Kind of exactly what I want from metal - riffs, solos (not too many), **** heavy drumming and mental vocals.

And recorded beautifully too.

How come you guys aren't huge, or is that the plan?

Do you recreate this tightness live? Ever play out Bristol way?

So many questions!

The one thing we get told above all others is how tight we are when playing live..... You might hate the songs, but we play them well! :)

We'd love to be huge, but like 99% of hard-working musicians, we'd settle for being able to do it full-time without ending up on the street. We're all in our mid-to-late '30s, so family and work commitments mean we don't gig as often as we'd like, usually less than 10 gigs per year.... We focus on quality rather than quantity!

Being London/ Home Counties based, we tend to stay local, but we did play Newport last year, so never say never. If we could arrange a support slot for a good band in Bristol, we'd take it.

I'm glad you like it. We work hard at keeping the melody in metal. It'd be easy to go out there and for the guys to just chug away on the bottom string for hours on end, but there are so many amateur bands doing that stuff and it just gets boring to listen to after 2 or 3 songs..... Having said that, our latest batch of new songs has tended to 'up the pace' a tad. ;)

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
simonlewis said:
toyota man said:
Hi Big Chris have you recorded any stuff if so how can we get hold of it I would love to hear your band

BC was giving away CDs a few years ago sounds like you missed out.

You can download our free 4 track E.P here...

Alternatively, you can buy it on iTunes or listen on Spotify.

D

Deleted member 2457

I listen to:

Guns N Roses

Metallica

Iron Maiden

Slash with Myles Kennedy

Amongst others.

My system with these rock Blu-rays and CDs sounds awesome! One of the reasons I bought it.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris said:
I doubt even a £100,000 system could make '..... And Justice For All' or 'St Anger' sound good. :shame:

:)

Most of the time, and especially on CD, Justice can sound pretty crap - I had to hunt for the best LP pressings of Metallica but it was worth it as the sound is totally different.

tommie_boi

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I mostly listen to heavy music on my headphones, i'm yet to find a decent Hi Fi that i can listen to some heavy stuff on.

I'm happy with what i've got at the moment (Yamaha R-N500, Epos Epic 2, Yamaha YST-FSV050 sub, i won't mention cables, it's a bulls###t for me), i was downgrading for years, coming from a 5k, 6k systems that couldn't handle heavy music at all.

My very first proper system i had about eight years ago was alright, Cambridge Audio 640 v2 amp and cd player combo plus Acoustic Energe Aelite standmounts, it really kicked ass on normal listening levels, it was the first time (and the last time too) that i've listened to Nile's 'Annihilation Of The Wicked' from start to finish.

Naim is very good with metal too, actualy i think it is the only option for a fan of metal or rock, i would buy anything from them even tomorrow but only after they introduce a power or stand by button on their amps, the idea of leaving it on all the time it's not working for me. What's the benefit of it when i'm at work for nine hours a day or during a sleep? What if there's a storm and i'm at work and can't unplug it? Silly.

Like i said, with headphones there are no problems, everything sounds great, Katatonia, Neurosis, Amorphis, Enslaved, Death, Skeletonwitch, Anata, Allegaeon, Converge, Wolves In The Throne Room, Hail Spirit Noir, Forest Of Shadows, Alcest, only to name few of my favourites...

Let's listen to some great music, guys, more than we listen to our systems :cheers:

jjbomber

tommie_boi said:
Naim is very good with metal too, actualy i think it is the only option for a fan of metal or rock, i would buy anything from them even tomorrow but only after they introduce a power or stand by button on their amps, the idea of leaving it on all the time it's not working for me.

Buy a second hand n-Vi. That has a standby button. Best product Naim have ever made.

Apparently if you leave the newer amps on a non-connected digital input, that puts them into standby. Don't know if it's true and take all Naim things with a pinch of salt.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Just been flicking through my LPs and pulled out something I haven't listened to in a while, vegan grindcore (!) band Cattle Decapitation, the album 'Humanure'. Great stuff, especially the cover. Won't post a link as it could well be deemed offensive - I had to import it from the US as I believe the cover was censored here in the UK. Never picked up any of their other stuff - anybody else heard or recommend it?

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Has anybody got any Black Metal recommendations? I've heard some Immortal, 'Battles In The North', pretty sick!

As a little sidestep from metal, if you like 'heavy' stuff, and electronic music, check out Mz.412 and similar dark industrial stuff, their album Nordik Battle Signs is amazing.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
Has anybody got any Black Metal recommendations? I've heard some Immortal, 'Battles In The North', pretty sick!

As a little sidestep from metal, if you like 'heavy' stuff, and electronic music, check out Mz.412 and similar dark industrial stuff, their album Nordik Battle Signs is amazing.

Checkout the album Prometheus: The discipline of fire & demise by the best black metal band ever Emperor. My all time favorite Emperor song In the wordless chamber is on this album.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
Tear Drop said:

Checkout the album Prometheus: The discipline of fire & demise by the best black metal band ever Emperor. My all time favorite Emperor song In the wordless chamber is on this album.

Just bought 'Prometheus...' from bandcamp (a great place to buy all kinds of music). Looking forward to a proper listen. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
I am away from home right now and have been listening to my iTunes library on my Sennheiser HD-25s. The other night I fell asleep listening to some ambient music and awoke a little while later to a new black metal purchase, The Ruins Of Beverast, 'Rain Upon The Impure'. Long, complex songs, low production values and me drifting in and out of sleep made it one of the deepest, most sublime listening experiences I've had for a while. Highly recommended.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
For those of you who like more melodic female led rock.

Listening to the Nemesea album 'In Control'

probably more Unsun or Paramore, but definitely some touches of Within Temptation / Evanescence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts