who ever thought to rebuild this site for their gcse project has failed

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Go to zoom in your browser settings then zoom out until the text does not look so big and stupid and this new site becames a lot nicer to look at and use. The Post reply button still looks to big but other than that I like the new site now I made the stupidly big text a lot smaller.

bonzo101

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
E minus.

Truely awful.

Agreed. What an amateurish load of old rubbish. This "new site" is a good reason to leave what hifi well alone IMO. I hope they haven't paid good money for this abortion. In fact, I think I'm going to leave this forum well alone from now on. If this is their idea of a good site then it doesn't say much for WHF in general. I think I'm going to give this site a miss. Bye bye folks.

bonzo101

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Please tell me. Why should I adjust my browser settings just to come on to "amateur valley" when all other sites and forums work well with my existing settings. I was looking at the EB Acoustics website yesterday. Bland, yes but at least it doesn't jump out of the screen and grab you by the throat. By these standards, it looks educated.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
bonzo101 said:
Please tell me. Why should I adjust my browser settings just to come on to "amateur valley" when all other sites and forums work well with my existing settings. I was looking at the EB Acoustics website yesterday. Bland, yes but at least it doesn't jump out of the screen and grab you by the throat. By these standards, it looks educated.

You should not have to. I did not design the site I only did what made the site easier on the eyes. The large font is a big failure on what hi-fi's part.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
can't even copy and paste either.

Terrible the old site was bad but this is just pants.

Can't even get into it from google on Chrome or Safari.

Its also very slow.

dangerouspartridge

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I agree, this site is awful; both on smart-phone and desktop. As a source that reviews new products you would think they would be able to produce a decent website fit for the modern era.

Utterly terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
It's a shame what's happened here. This has been a truly great place to visit and get hints and tips on how to get great results from kit and what kit people think is worth buying. It's now gone backwards in terms of design and ease of use. Ironically I'm not sure if many will read this or any other posts from now on. I think I'll occasionally have a look to check if sanity has returned and some grown ups have improved the look and feel, useability and performance but for now, this is an example of how not to move forward. Perhaps an ex-Windows designer was involved???? Oh yes, and has anyone mentioned the signatures have gone.... WHF reminds me of three other letters, starting with "W" and ending with "F". Sorry and BFN.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I like the new colour scheme but everything's too big now. The text and the spacing is all much too big and there isn't enough room to fit much on the screen anymore. The same applies to the Android version - it's all too big.

I preferred the old site. Sure it had a few bugs that needed fixing but on the whole it was alright.

sublime

May 14, 2014
Visit site
The danger here is that WHF could ignore the criticisms as 'people just having a moan because it's new' and miss the point that it is actually terrible.

Have just managed to view the home page (on safari as I didn't want to clear the cache on firefox) - This is probably the worst example of a home page I have seen in a very long time. There is no sense of order what so ever. First time visitors will jump off within a few seconds. I had to wait over 20 seconds for the page to load btw

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you guys I am finding it off putting having to go round wills mothers to find what I am looking for I used to select all posts and then browse chatting to who ever adding advice / opinion I dare say it will all become clear if I can persevere*biggrin*

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
kikiso said:
It's a shame what's happened here. This has been a truly great place to visit and get hints and tips on how to get great results from kit and what kit people think is worth buying. It's now gone backwards in terms of design and ease of use. Ironically I'm not sure if many will read this or any other posts from now on. I think I'll occasionally have a look to check if sanity has returned and some grown ups have improved the look and feel, useability and performance but for now, this is an example of how not to move forward. Perhaps an ex-Windows designer was involved???? Oh yes, and has anyone mentioned the signatures have gone.... WHF reminds me of three other letters, starting with "W" and ending with "F". Sorry and BFN.

I think it was a mistake to remove signatures. I enjoyed reading them and finding out what hi-fi separates kit people had (as people normally put their hi-fi separates kit in there stig).

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Have to agree this new design is awful and I don't think it's due to lack of familiarity. The main landing page is just a confusing mess. And what's with the huge fonts?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If anyone wants to change their avatar photo, just go to your Profile page, then Settings and hover with your mouse where your avatar is to edit it. There is no indication for this function untill you hover the mouse over and small pencil icon shows up. The template uses show and hidden CSS function. Best to have opacity at 0.5 default and on hover have it 1.0 to alert the user that this area is selectable. As for the font sizing issues developers will have to create separate classes (Media Queries) for different screen sizes in three tiers: phones, tablets, PCs. Then adjust each fonts and buttons to optimal value for each device tier. Or you can have three separate stylesheets and have your CDN server detect user devices and direct to adequate stylesheet, for mobile, tablet or PC. If not, you will have to look for middle ground for all three devices, resulting in all-in-one unpleasant compromise. To speed up site responsiveness devs will have to cut off some not so usefull .js and why not just get rid of the custom font kit. Use google fonts from their own servers to maximize speed, response time and cut on hosting costs. Lato is a good font family to replace the Proxima Nova being used currently. These are few things to consider for the WHF IT staff, if not already in the works. *bye* PSFinally "enjoying music" emoticon. *music2*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
AVS forums had the best forum platform online IMO. They switched back to old Bulletin Board recently. Wow, what a downgrade, from Mercedes S class to Fred Flinstones car.

sublime

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Red Cafe seem to have got it right. It may look a bit old fashion but proven design principles make this site very simple to use. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's very simple and useable.

The last iteration of the what hi-fi forums were also good. A few missing features and a little slow at times but good none the less.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Some websites use ready made platforms like vBulletin, phpBB, Simple Machines, XenForo, Bulletin Board etc. That is the simplest option to go with. What Hi-Fi? has done an integrated custom made magazine portal and forum which do not look like two different websites with just a matching logo and colors changed in the forum section. Fully integrated website is the hardest, best, most expensive solution to go with and as we can observe it has its challenges.

RedCafe is a 10 minute website. Just install XenForo, change header logo and color scheme and you have a forum community. If you want a front home page that serves as a portal, you can butcher the php a bit like HiFiWigwam did, but it is not a proper portal with integrated forum community. As fugly new WHF is, it is ahead of most, in principle at least.

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
HALT!

This thread needs moving to the 'about the site' topic.....where's that old forum cop Andrew Everard when you need him!?! *ROFL*

sublime

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Some websites use ready made platforms like vBulletin, phpBB, Simple Machines, XenForo, Bulletin Board etc. That is the simplest option to go with. What Hi-Fi? has done an integrated custom made magazine portal and forum which do not look like two different websites with just a matching logo and colors changed in the forum section. Fully integrated website is the hardest, best, most expensive solution to go with and as we can observe it has its challenges.

RedCafe is a 10 minute website. Just install XenForo, change header logo and color scheme and you have a forum community. If you want a front home page that serves as a portal, you can butcher the php a bit like HiFiWigwam did, but it is not a proper portal with integrated forum community. As fugly new WHF is, it is ahead of most, in principle at least.

Totally agree. The point I was making was that internet forums have been around for ages and many of the inherent design/ux problems have been resolved over time. So why not follow these proven design principles, principles that have taken things forward into good usable experiences. I don't see those principle at play on this new design, not the forums, not the homepage, the reviews section or anything. Why attempt to reinvent the wheel?

As for WHF being ahead of most - I have to disagree (respectfully)

TRENDING THREADS