which wires?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello. I bought a starter system online and now I am thinking of what to use for speaker wire. I have cambridge 340A/340C and Gale gold monitor speakers. A friend says i can use electric wire. should I use the live and neutral, or earth? does it matter?

Also is it better to put the cd on the amplifier, or the other way?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ThereIsNoSpoon"]

Hello. I bought a starter system online and now I am thinking of what to use for speaker wire. I have cambridge 340A/340C and Gale gold monitor speakers. A friend says i can use electric wire. should I use the live and neutral, or earth? does it matter?

Also is it better to put the cd on the amplifier, or the other way?

[/quote]

Nice thick copper multistrand. They are selling 6mm multistrand on Ebay for around £2 a metre that will be as good as anything else you buy.

It doesn't matter how you stack it.

jordanfx

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
i would go for good quality name brands.also can anybody advise me i currently use audioquest speaker cable of about 15 years old quite expensive at time.should i change.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jordanfx"]i would go for good quality name brands[/quote]

Why? Copper wire is copper wire.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Masterbluster"]
[quote user="jordanfx"]i would go for good quality name brands[/quote]

Why? Copper wire is copper wire.

[/quote]
...this sounds familiar...

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
OFC wire?

Oddly enough, it isn't the freedom of oxygen in copper wire that makes any difference. The process of removing oxygen also removes the impurity of iron and it's this impurity that can cause the resistance to be slightly higher. The difference in resistance between copper wire and oxygen free copper wire is too small to be significant for speaker wiring. It can be considered to be ordinary copper wire as far as the recommended lengths of copper wire in the table. Oxygen free copper wire can be more expensive than ordinary copper wire.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

MRB

Feb 20, 2007
Visit site
Try searching for some good quality second hand cable on ebay (van den hul, chord, linn, naim, audioquest etc). You'll probably get something much better than if you bought a new budget cable :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts