Which way to go for better music audio

stevegwoods

Jan 14, 2008
Visit site
I am curently listening to my CDs through an Onkyo 605 using my Pioneer 440-HX DVR. Speakers are Kef 1001 surround with IQ5 fronts.

I would like to get more from my music but I haven't the space or money to go down the separate stereo amp route, I am also tetering on the edge of getting a blu-ray player. My question is really will I get an improved Cd sound if I get say a Marantz 6002, or should I not bother and go for the Sony BDP-S350? I am also cocerned if I buy a Blu-ray player as I don't think my Panasonic 42 PX60 will support 24 fps can the sony for example output at a suitable fps at 1080i?

Grateful for any advice before I spend my crisp cracklies!

A

Anonymous

You will get a big improvement by adding a proper cdp! Go for it!!!!

A

Anonymous

Bet you haven't thought of this!

Bought a Sony RDR-HXD970 for recording/freeze TV. (it has a 250g hard drive) Discovered by accident that if I download CD's onto it in Highest recording setting mode they sound as good as through my Meridian 206CD player!

Have 40 CD's onto hard drive now, a great way to listen to music.

PS Decent mains cable and a Tacima block improved things as well.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I'd go along with the above, (though I haven't got a Meridian CD player to compare to!).

After my DV4100OSE packed up, I was struggling for quality CD playback, and a budget Mica DVD player and my XBox just weren't cutting it, even using the digital connection on my Marantz amp. I wasn't sure where to go in terms of getting CD player, DVD/CD player, or BlueRay that was good with CDs.

However, ripping the CDs as lossless FLAC to the XBox and playing them back through the optical connection, the quality is much improved, and I don't have an immediate problem. Plus I've got a full library and playlists available anytime without loading discs.

I'm no expert, but reckon probably it's easier to get the data off a hard disk without jitter, so the quality is improved, and my amp handles the D/A conversion.

I'm thinking about going this route for BlueRay / DVDs when I upgrade, instead of trying to get one or a number of high-quality players, (thought the HD space for BlueRay may be a problem!).

A

Anonymous

An external DAC (such as Beresford, or Cambridge) will give you a significant boost, without the need for a new transport.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts