Which TV for SD viewing?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please help! The truth is that 100% of my viewing is SD, either TV/Satellite or DVD. I’m in the market for a 42 to 50” set and am somewhat confused. I am told on expert forums/articles that the higher the native resolution does not necessarily give the better SD playback (as it is all up-scaled) in fact to the contrary, it’s often worse (is this true?) And that the quality of SD viewing is down the up-scaling processor hence we are talking manufacturer. My questions are: Why lay out the premium for a 1080 set? Would I be better off with a 720p set or even a 480p (if I can find one), as it is best picture I’m looking for. And does anyone recommend a good flat panel TV. (I’m already presuming plasma is preferable to LCD for my needs.). Sorry for so many questions. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

The best out there at the moment is the Panasonic TH37PX70

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="makhlari"]

Please help! The truth is that 100% of my viewing is SD, either TV/Satellite or DVD. I'm in the market for a 42 to 50" set and am somewhat confused. I am told on expert forums/articles that the higher the native resolution does not necessarily give the better SD playback (as it is all up-scaled) in fact to the contrary, it's often worse (is this true?) And that the quality of SD viewing is down the up-scaling processor hence we are talking manufacturer. My questions are: Why lay out the premium for a 1080 set? Would I be better off with a 720p set or even a 480p (if I can find one), as it is best picture I'm looking for. And does anyone recommend a good flat panel TV. (I'm already presuming plasma is preferable to LCD for my needs.). Sorry for so many questions. Thanks.[/quote]

SD tv is transmitted at 576i so to display it on a HD set it must be de-interlaced (all flat panels show a image in progressive scan) and upscaled to fit the panels native resolution so generally speaking the less information the screen has to add to the avalible transmitted information the better the results.

Now older Plasmas were 480 panels none of were nor could be HD ready so I would not advise tracking one of these down as a purchase option today (even tho I have my old 480p Panasonic in my bedroom and it still has a cracking picture). If you main use for the tv will be for SD viewing and DVD and you feal no rush to join the BD/HD-DVD brigade then get a HD ready panel and save the extra money. I have a Samsung PS50q97hdx which can be found for about a grand and it is great with SD viewing and DVD. I upgraded to Sky HD and that looks fantastic. The only thing it cant do is take BD/HD-DVD at 1080p/24FPS.
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

If all you intend to do is watch SD and your DVD collection then I would suggest either sticking with your current tv (which I presume is CRT) or if it is the larger screen size that you crave, then how about looking out for a second-hand CRT back projection tv or projector and screen. These should be dirt cheap or maybe even free to collect.

The reason I am suggesting this route is that you may find yourself mightily disappointed after spending good money on a large new flatscreen only to find the picture worse than you have been watching. CRT and SD are made for each other. In a year or two HD may be more widely available as a broadcast medium for the masses(??!!) and then you could think about investing in a wonderfull new flat screen tv - just think how good they may be then, and also how cheap!! In the meantime, with the money you have saved, you may wish to audition a good AV amp and speakers to take advantage of your current DVDs and be ready for your HD future.

Just a thought.

A

Anonymous

Alternatively there are some great HD ready Plasma displays out there that come very near to CRT quality SD pictures. Also with Plasma the Colours are a lot richer, in my view, than CRT displays.You just have to go and audition them with SD SKY and FREEVIEW and see which you like.

Take for example the Samsung PS50Q97HDX-Great FREEVIEW PICTURE. In my opinion also better than my old CRT that's for sure as indeed my very own PS42Q97HDX is: Lovely rich colours and am more than happy with it's standard definition reproduction from my, still going strong, AMSTRAD SKY DIGIBOX.

Get yourself a goo d DVD Upscaler too and you will be set for a whole host of enjoyment. Bye Bye Big and Bulky CRT

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts