Which turntable

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi guy's..I'm currently putting some money together to get a decent turntable, I've already got my cartridge a goldring 1042.and I'll be looking at tables in the £1000-£1300 region
My nearest dealer is probably hifi corner in Edinburgh, they stock pro-ject rpm5, X2, mo-fi studiodeck, Avid ingenium plug and play tt, Roksan xerses, out of these what is the general consensus of you guys.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Yes Al..sorry it is the attessa.
Oh and I was also having a look at the Sota escape tt on audioaffair.co.uk...I can't say I've heard of the brand before but they seem to be well regarded.

Yes Al..sorry it is the attessa.
Oh and I was also having a look at the Sota escape tt on audioaffair.co.uk...I can't say I've heard of the brand before but they seem to be well regarded.
They are American I believe, haven't heard of that one before though, I will have a quick Google....
Think I would still go for the Studiodeck though, however think you might need a phono preamp or does your amp have one built in?

Last edited:

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
No my amp doesn't have a phono stage Al..I'll be buying a njc audio reference series phono stage, I already have the headphone amp and dac, Quality items they are, and I have no hesitation in buying the matching pre amp, if I ever get the urge for another mc cart I'll get the step up transformer from them also.

Reactions: Al ears
No my amp doesn't have a phono stage Al..I'll be buying a njc audio reference series phono stage, I already have the headphone amp and dac, Quality items they are, and I have no hesitation in buying the matching pre amp, if I ever get the urge for another mc cart I'll get the step up transformer from them also.
Good kit by the look of it and not a bad price either....

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Yes their kit is quality with no audiofool bs, just some good in house electronic engineering and machining carried out by couple of enthusiastic guy's in Devon, making good gear, without any advertising and retail shop overheads, so they don't need to charge a fortune for the kit.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I've really been taken with the reviews and looks (reputation also) of the Avid ingenium plug n play...but....it's pretty much dead end as upgrading goes....I think.....it's pretty much stuck with it's cartridge and tonearm.....I'd like to change these especially the cart to the goldring 1042 that I already have waiting...the mofi studiodeck has vta and azimuth adjustable tonearm...but it's not a Avid turntable....I'm stuck.

Hi guy's..I'm currently putting some money together to get a decent turntable, I've already got my cartridge a goldring 1042.and I'll be looking at tables in the £1000-£1300 region
My nearest dealer is probably hifi corner in Edinburgh, they stock pro-ject rpm5, X2, mo-fi studiodeck, Avid ingenium plug and play tt, Roksan xerses, out of these what is the general consensus of you guys.
You're spoilt for choice. What sort of aesthetics are looking for, something retro or modern look?

I have a Pro-ject Classic. They sound cracking with a Goldring cart.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi PP. I've actually got a mish mash of modern and retro....if you view my headphone amp and dac, compared to my amp....I have contemplated the project classic evo...and the rpm5...I really do like that type of look with the outboard motor.

Hi PP. I've actually got a mish mash of modern and retro....if you view my headphone amp and dac, compared to my amp....I have contemplated the project classic evo...and the rpm5...I really do like that type of look with the outboard motor.
Bear in mind RPM doesn't have a lid AFAIK where the Classic does. You can buy lids separately but that will eat into your budget.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
The RPM 5 is out the equation I think, being so close in £££'s to the avid. As for budget, I'm not really set on one as such, I just want to get it right, I can save a bit longer if needed. I'm basically looking to get a tt that's in sync with the rest of my system. It's all about balance, eh?

The RPM 5 is out the equation I think, being so close in £££'s to the avid. As for budget, I'm not really set on one as such, I just want to get it right, I can save a bit longer if needed. I'm basically looking to get a tt that's in sync with the rest of my system. It's all about balance, eh?
Yeah, it's certainly best to think it through and make sure it's the right table.

As regards synergy, it's not as important than other sources. In the main it's about what you can live with. This is where a good demo comes into play.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I emailed hi-fi corner in Edinburgh the other day, asking about px'ing a couple of items, I'm going to maybe dem the avid and the mofi studiodeck and I'd like to see the pro-ject classic evolution in the flesh so to speak.

I emailed hi-fi corner in Edinburgh the other day, asking about px'ing a couple of items, I'm going to maybe dem the avid and the mofi studiodeck and I'd like to see the pro-ject classic evolution in the flesh so to speak.
Please bear in mind, also, any turntable you listen to will have the standard cart fitted by the manufacturer. Once your Goldring is fitted it will sound different. Had the same thing with my original Classic. It had the Ortofon Silver so I got the dealer to change it to Goldring - the difference was audible.

I've really been taken with the reviews and looks (reputation also) of the Avid ingenium plug n play...but....it's pretty much dead end as upgrading goes....I think.....it's pretty much stuck with it's cartridge and tonearm.....I'd like to change these especially the cart to the goldring 1042 that I already have waiting...the mofi studiodeck has vta and azimuth adjustable tonearm...but it's not a Avid turntable....I'm stuck.
what makes you think you cannot upgrade the tonearm and the platter on the Avid?

Last edited:

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi Al....I know you can upgrade the platter on the avid, but I've not read anything about the tonearm being a part of the upgrade path...I believe it has a Rega arm from the 200 series on board, as for a cart upgrade, I don't think the vta is adjustable with this arm, maybe limiting the choice of available cartridge options.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Please bear in mind, also, any turntable you listen to will have the standard cart fitted by the manufacturer. Once your Goldring is fitted it will sound different. Had the same thing with my original Classic. It had the Ortofon Silver so I got the dealer to change it to Goldring - the difference was audible.
Hey PP...yeah I'm well aware that a cart change can make a huge difference, when I went from a ortofon om10 to a 2m blue in a old project xpression ( when I had a previous vinyl addiction) the gulf in sq difference was probably the largest margin I had ever heard in that system.....it made me smile big time..lol.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Hi Al....I know you can upgrade the platter on the avid, but I've not read anything about the tonearm being a part of the upgrade path...I believe it has a Rega arm from the 200 series on board, as for a cart upgrade, I don't think the vta is adjustable with this arm, maybe limiting the choice of available cartridge options.
Surely, if it has a Rega based arm there are plenty of upgrade possibilities; better Rega, Audiomods, Origin Live etc.

It will depend on the actual mount of the arm. The old Rega column mount was easy to add a VTA adapter to. The best bet with this turntable is to replace the arm it comes fitted with with something better but this would mean you have to try to sell the T1 tonearm on.

Surely, if it has a Rega based arm there are plenty of upgrade possibilities; better Rega, Audiomods, Origin Live etc.
Depends on the mount, but yes if it is the old column type. However you are still left with trying to sell on the T1 tonearm
However, this is always going to be an issue when you buy the base model 'all in one' turntable from any manufacturer.
Better off buying an old Planar 3 and sticking an Audiomods arm on it I would say....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts