Which turntable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I'd probably use it in the short term with its own arm and cart, while I save for a tonearm that this table probably deserves......any thoughts on what that tonearm should be are very welcome.lol.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
The guy's at the hifi shop have came back with a decent offer on the stuff I want to px for the ingenium......£800 for the tt with the standard platter or £1150 with the better platter, apparently it's a big difference in sq. Obviously I'll want to go and dem it.

The guy's at the hifi shop have came back with a decent offer on the stuff I want to px for the ingenium......£800 for the tt with the standard platter or £1150 with the better platter, apparently it's a big difference in sq. Obviously I'll want to go and dem it.
I would definitely demo it. That's a lot of money for a platter upgrade that, sound wise, might be better spent on a cartridge upgrade instead.
I cannot see a platter upgrade making a £350 difference in sound, but that's just me.
Does that turntable have a simple column type tonearm fitting?

Reactions: WayneKerr
I'd probably use it in the short term with its own arm and cart, while I save for a tonearm that this table probably deserves......any thoughts on what that tonearm should be are very welcome.lol.
that's going to drown in your final budget. As already stated the likes of Origin Live and Audiomods come highly recommended but then, with the right fitting, Avid are quite capable of taking the likes of SME tonearms.
However, you may be stuck with 9" arms only .

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I would definitely demo it. That's a lot of money for a platter upgrade that, sound wise, might be better spent on a cartridge upgrade instead.
I cannot see a platter upgrade making a £350 difference in sound, but that's just me.
Does that turntable have a simple column type tonearm fitting?
But Al, I already have the cartridge upgrade the goldring 1042. The platter is a £350 option on the website...I believe if you look elsewhere that is it's price.lol....must be a heavy bit of metal.

But Al, I already have the cartridge upgrade the goldring 1042. The platter is a £350 option on the website...I believe if you look elsewhere that is it's price.lol....must be a heavy bit of metal.
Exactly, that's a lot of money for a platter upgrade that will deliver questionable advantages.
In my opinion there is no point in buying the basic plug and play type turntables if you are then considering upgrading them, they are purely designed to drag new users in knowing they don't want to progress further.

Last edited:
Hey PP...yeah I'm well aware that a cart change can make a huge difference, when I went from a ortofon om10 to a 2m blue in a old project xpression ( when I had a previous vinyl addiction) the gulf in sq difference was probably the largest margin I had ever heard in that system.....it made me smile big time..lol.
You're right. It does make a fairly big difference with a cart change, even on affordable tables.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Exactly, that's a lot of money for a platter upgrade that will deliver questionable advantages.
In my opinion there is no point in buying the basic plug and play type turntables if you are then considering upgrading them, they are purely designed to drag new users in knowing they don't want to progress further.
Yeah Al, I know what you mean about the plug n play turntable's, but they pretty much are plug n play up to the 2k price range (I'm not quite at that level yet) the next step in the avid range as I'm sure your well aware is the diva at £2300 with not arm or cart My aim is to get a good base tt and do what I can to make it perform to it's best capabilities, I know your cash would have went to the mofi studiodeck, but it's a very large unit.
On another note the arm on the Avid ingenium is a rebranded Rega rb220, Not as bad as first thought...I think and the upgraded platter as far as I have read into is really a essential purchase to release the potential of the ingenium, it weighs in at 5.5 kg, that's also a fair amount of mass and stability in itself.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
......well, I know I was going to hold out and go for the njc phono pre amp ( to aesthetically match the dac and headphone amplifier) I'm sure it will also be a excellent unit) for the turntable, but I just bagged a ex demo mo-fi studio phono for a little less than £200. I couldn't let that pass by.lol. Will be going to check out the Avid ingenium on Saturday.

Reactions: Al ears
......well, I know I was going to hold out and go for the njc phono pre amp ( to aesthetically match the dac and headphone amplifier) I'm sure it will also be a excellent unit) for the turntable, but I just bagged a ex demo mo-fi studio phono for a little less than £200. I couldn't let that pass by.lol. Will be going to check out the Avid ingenium on Saturday.
Bargain!

Reactions: skinnypuppy71

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Went up to Edinburgh and picked up the Avid ingenium turntable, John installed my goldring g1042 cart ( I posted it to them). What a fantastic piece of British engineering this table is..yes it is expensive for a entry level turntable, but this is not your average entry level turntable. Absolutely built like a brick out house.lol....And is sounding superb with the mofi studio phono also......I'm still listening after four hours or so.

Went up to Edinburgh and picked up the Avid ingenium turntable, John installed my goldring g1042 cart ( I posted it to them). What a fantastic piece of British engineering this table is..yes it is expensive for a entry level turntable, but this is not your average entry level turntable. Absolutely built like a brick out house.lol....And is sounding superb with the mofi studio phono also......I'm still listening after four hours or so.
Excellent choice, long may you enjoy it.

camcroft

Yes Al it's a iPhone 11(I think)
Not got the dust cover just yet but it's on the shopping list.
On an iMac I sync the pictures from the iphone into my picture library and then I drag them to the desktop and insert them on here from there by dragging them into the drop down box which is to the right of the link sign at the top of this message. Once you can see the picture press post reply.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
If it's anything like mine you will certainly benefit from having one.... :)
Hi Al, dust cover on order, I've also been trying to work out,( when the time comes) what I should be looking for re the tonearm upgrade, it's a rega fit, So my question is " what would be a appropriate level of arm for the ingenium "? It's a real solid unit with absolute superb build quality and I'm pretty sure that the supplied arm and cart are just a means to get you started, it's as plain as day, as to where the money went in this table and it wasn't the arm or cartridge that's for sure.lol.

Hi Al, dust cover on order, I've also been trying to work out,( when the time comes) what I should be looking for re the tonearm upgrade, it's a rega fit, So my question is " what would be a appropriate level of arm for the ingenium "? It's a real solid unit with absolute superb build quality and I'm pretty sure that the supplied arm and cart are just a means to get you started, it's as plain as day, as to where the money went in this table and it wasn't the arm or cartridge that's for sure.lol.
You've only just got it :)
It came with a tonearm fitted didn't it?
The Avid TA1 is indeed a Rega clone but I cannot find out if it is a column mount or their three point mount.
presumably they make adaptors for other manufacturers arms as I have seen SME tonearms on Avid decks, admittedly might be Ingenium
Fanthorpes sell them with the option of a Project 9CC Carbon arm so they must be able to adapt to plenty of choices.

Last edited:

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
You've only just got it :)
It came with a tonearm fitted didn't it?
The Avid TA1 is indeed a Rega clone but I cannot find out if it is a column mount or their three point mount.
presumably they make adaptors for other manufacturers arms as I have seen SME tonearms on Avid decks, admittedly might be Ingenium
Fanthorpes sell them with the option of a Project 9CC Carbon arm so they must be able to adapt to plenty of choices.
Lol....I'm not changing it just now Al...I just need a idea what I should be looking at...the current arm is basically a rebadged rega rb220...remember this isn't the original ingenium ( with the 9cc tonearm) but the plug n play variant....origin live arms would fit I believe.

Lol....I'm not changing it just now Al...I just need a idea what I should be looking at...the current arm is basically a rebadged rega rb220...remember this isn't the original ingenium ( with the 9cc tonearm) but the plug n play variant....origin live arms would fit I believe.
And they would certainly be on my list of I were upgrading.
Depends on your budget really.
There's also Audiomods and Jelco

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts