Which Sub? £350-£500 range - advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking to get my first sub, mainly for films but possibly also for music. Ideally I can have low and high level connections simultaneously, thought this isn't critical.

My budget is in the £350-500 range and don't have the biggest of rooms so I'd prefer something smaller than 40cm?^3 or thereabouts.

Currently I'm looking at the B&W ASW610, BK XLS200, a Tannoy TS1001 or possibly at a stretch TS1201.

I'd really appreciate opinions and experience of any of these subs and/or recommendations of alternatives.

Many thanks.

WHFSV - any plans for a supertest of subs in this range in the near future?

A

Anonymous

Sorry, should have said. I can probably stretch the budget another £100 (£600 limit) for the right sub.

Cheers.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Chiswick said:
Sorry, should have said. I can probably stretch the budget another £100 (£600 limit) for the right sub.

Cheers.

Depending on your final listening choice and size preference, either the BK XXLS 400 or the BK Monolith for well under £500.00.

scene

Much as I think the XXLS400 or Monolith are fantastic, I'd say that if your room is not so large, the XLS-200 could be a better size. Send an email to BK, with your room's dimensions and listening preferences and they'll help you out - they're really friendly.

ashcorn

Mar 17, 2008
Visit site
scene said:
Much as I think the XXLS400 or Monolith are fantastic, I'd say that if your room is not so large, the XLS-200 could be a better size. Send an email to BK, with your room's dimensions and listening preferences and they'll help you out - they're really friendly.

Good advise! Therir subs are fantastic value too.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

Has anyone had experience of the Tannoy TS-1001 and/or TS-1201. They look really good on paper, but would be really interested to know if anyone has auditioned them? against what? and thoughts?

Many thanks.

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I am currently using the Sub Tannoy TS1001 with my HIFI system.

I use it to support the main Cremona Auditor because Tannoy Sub is silky in bass as what I have heard.

I think I am not wrong in this point. The Cremona and sub go well with each other. Very musical. The combination is really good in soft music like Jazz, Blues, Vocal... I can hear and feel very low frequencies. It is solid, and you don't recognize the presence of the sub. Bass sound seems to come out from the main. In other words, it's like floor standers !

I also have tried this Tannoy sub with my movie system. The original sub was Jamo D8 400W, but the Tannoy shows the similar results with room shaking. My room is 25 sqm, and it also fits the movie system. There are functions "music" and "movie" seperately you can select on the sub easily. But for movies and games only you may look for other subs with stronger impact for guns and bombs (if your ears can afford) :) .

What a pitty, there is remote control function but I spent a lot of time on finding a suitable universal remote control for this sub that I can input the hex code like "vol up : 20DF". I have tried some Philips remote but it does not help. then until now I can not use the remote control function. It is very cheap for a remote, but Tannoy refuse to include it.

Moreover I also see the matter with auto power off function. It does not go off (standby) after 15min when no signal. Then my solution is that I use the power source from the Amplifier. When I turn off the amplifier, the sub goes off also.

In general, I am satisfied with this Tannoy sub in MUSIC. I have gone through Yamaha, Jamo, B&W, Kef, Klipsch, Boss but for music I choose Tannoy to go with my Cremona Auditor.

Hope this help.

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
scene said:
Dont make the mistake of thinking a bigger sub is about more bass, its not, its about better bass. Regardless of the size of your room, a bigger or better (or both) sub will improve the bass in a way the smaller sub cannot. The bass from an xls 400 will be deeper and cleaner, more articulate and more acurate. Once a sub is setup and calibrated, it will play at the same volume any sub will, not matter how massive it is. No sub should be louder than another when you add it into your system, sure it can be capable of going louder, but the only thing controlling how loud and how much bass you get from your sub, is the master control volume, nothing else.

If you have the money and space available to site it, there is no good reason at all to choose the xls 200 over the xls 400 for example.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts