Which Standmount Speakers

Forkbeard

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi Guys, a bit of your assistance is required, I have a Rega P3-24 going to a Yamaha AS 1100 amp. I want to get some standmount speakers and would appreciate your recommendations. I have a budget of up to £1200. Thanks in advance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
A couple of questions:

- What size is your room?

- What sort of music do you listen to?

- What sort of sound do you like - Smooth, refined and musical or clean and more forward/exciting?

BTW Welcome to the forum.

I know a poster called Blacksabbath has Dali Opticon 8 floostanders with his Yamaha A-S2100, so whatever the standmount equivalent is.

You could also look at the new Dynaudio Emit range. But you'll need to dem a few different brands and see which one dangles your tackle (so to speak).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
One of my favourite £1000 stand mounts is the Motion 15, this relatively small speaker is fairly sensitive, easy to drive and has a fairly dynamic and beautifully open presentation. I have heard them work very well with a sub if deep bass is important, but even without they sound pretty convincing on a lot of material.

Sure there are plenty of better known alternatives but if you are prepared to look a little off the mainstream these are definitely worth trying.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Do the Martin Logans need a decent amount of space? Presumably, the OP has limited space, hence why he's asked about standmounts (just guessing).

The pair I heard were positioned quite normally, neither tight to a wall nor right out in free space, like all speakers, some experimentation with positioning is required.

Their big strengths was their open, unboxy quality that really excelled on more 'natural' recordings, I don't think they would be that suited to loud rock or other heavily processed material.

That said, they are quite sensitive and can go pretty loud without the bass getting boomy and out of control, I thought them more 'expressive' than most speakers around this price, though as always, subjective performance is very much up to the listener.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Dynaudio emit option
Or look at some 2nd hand dynaudio dm 2/6
They are quite similar
Really good for the price and much cheaper than your max budget

davedotco said:
One of my favourite £1000 stand mounts is the Motion 15, this relatively small speaker is fairly sensitive, easy to drive and has a fairly dynamic and beautifully open presentation. I have heard them work very well with a sub if deep bass is important, but even without they sound pretty convincing on a lot of material.

Sure there are plenty of better known alternatives but if you are prepared to look a little off the mainstream these are definitely worth trying.

+1

There are models that should suit from all the leading brands. I'd personally put PMC and ATC near the top of my list, but there are many others. Take your time and audition as many as you can, preferably at home once you've shortlisted.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Kef R300

A very good standmount - expressive - detailed - spacious soundstage with an extended bass response (good for the size of the speaker)

tonky

If you're looking for standmounts that perform best close to a wall then I have to recomend the pmc twenty 21's(they really do need a wall to get the best depth from them) which can be had for around the 1k mark new on ebay at the moment and even less used.Lovely tight bass with clear crisp mids and highs if driven with a suitable amp,which i'm pretty sure the yamaha most certainly would be.Like most on the forum though,I would urge you to go dem as much as you can before parting with any cash.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
There are models that should suit from all the leading brands.  I'd personally put PMC and ATC near the top of my list, but there are many others.  Take your time and audition as many as you can, preferably at home once you've shortlisted. 

While I agree and ATC is my top of list I only recommend if the op has top range amp

rainsoothe

Al ears said:
davedotco said:
One of my favourite £1000 stand mounts is the Motion 15, this relatively small speaker is fairly sensitive, easy to drive and has a fairly dynamic and beautifully open presentation. I have heard them work very well with a sub if deep bass is important, but even without they sound pretty convincing on a lot of material.

+1

+2. PMC db1 gold (or db1i, same speaker) also worth considering. Twenty series might be a bit too lean with Yamaha, but op might like it.

Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
There are models that should suit from all the leading brands. I'd personally put PMC and ATC near the top of my list, but there are many others. Take your time and audition as many as you can, preferably at home once you've shortlisted.

While I agree and ATC is my top of list I only recommend if the op has top range amp

+1

In my experience, although not considered inefficient, the ATC s really need more umph than the OPs amp actually has, to perform at their best.

Saying that this applies to most speakers.

I am currently driving EB2s with a 25 watt power amp, but then again it's no ordinary power amp, and I am sure they could do better but it's all about current delivery I feel.

Or, to put it in the usual car analogy, it's all about torques..... ;-)

P.S.: Did I mention EB2s? I gather than are still being manufactured, so these would be another option for the OP.

D

Deleted member 116933

I'm not going to recommend any speakers as I've never heard your amp and most importantly never heard your room. Best advice I can give you and I learnt the hard way. Is all modern amps are pretty capable and most speakers in that price range are easy to drive so reallly concentrate on finding a speaker that matches the room. If it has to be close to the wall a front ported or sealed design could be best but not always. Obversely size but some standmounts can sound massive so really depends don't just look at the usual suppect either consider amphion, revel, jbl, dynaudio, mission . My rule of thumb is if there all over eBay then theres generally a reason for it and then consider that brand very carefully, sorry but PMC is one of those brands not saying there rubbish just tread carefully. Above all listen at home and if the dealer doesn't allow it walk away there loss.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
tonky said:
Kef R300

A very good standmount - expressive - detailed - spacious soundstage with an extended bass response (good for the size of the speaker)

tonky

Yep, I have them, and am more than happy
thumbs_up.png

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend something with a bit of bite as the Yamaha is a little bit laid back. Dali is a good match. pro arc studio or try the EB acoustics eb2s as you can try them at home for 30 days and they only cost 799 bargain:)

rainsoothe

seemorebtts said:
I would recommend something with a bit of bite as the Yamaha is a little bit laid back. Dali is a good match. pro arc studio or try the EB acoustics eb2s as you can try them at home for 30 days and they only cost 799 bargain:)

Agree on the bite bit. I, for one, wouldn't partner Kef R300 or Q Acoustics Concepts with Yamaha. Besides Martin Logan, PMC, EB, Dali and Dynaudio, Triangle might also be worth looking into - heard some floorstanders with Yamaha AS-700, and it was pretty good - not good enough to make me like Yamaha, but still good.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
seemorebtts said:

Actually you can get them from the new manufacturers for £699 or less on Ebay at the moment.

DIB said:
seemorebtts said:

Actually you can get them from the new manufacturers for £699 or less on Ebay at the moment.

An even better bargain then.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
DIB said:
seemorebtts said:

I got mine on eBay for £399 which is amazing considering how good they are and they are the actual pair that were on the front cover of hifi choice :)

seemorebtts said:
Al ears said:
DIB said:
seemorebtts said:

I got mine on eBay for £399 which is amazing considering how good they are and they are the actual pair that were on the front cover of hifi choice :)

Wherever they appeared is a bit irrelevant. Mine apparently are the actual pair reviewed by WHF, but it doesn't matter. These are brilliantly realised speakers and you obviously got a bargain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts