Which speakers with Arcam amp and CD player-----help please

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Arcam 82 CD player

Arcam A85 Amp

Quad 22L speakers

Once again I ask for your help

After much deliberation I have decided to upgrade my speakers first, as it seems this will give me the biggest instant improvement apparently.

I will probably upgrade the CD and Amp later too but that might not be for another year or so. I suppose this is where it gets difficult as not sure what I would be upgrading to.

I have visited 2 local hifi retailers, and one has suggested Linn Majik 140, the other has suggested PMC GB1i

I am also considering the Wharfedale Jade 5 as a pal has them and loves them.

My only concern and I am no hifi buff, is that Linn components in the past were always only ever any good with Linn components. Is this still the case/?

Ideally I would like one of the retailers to get all 3 in and I would demo them with my equipment. However I do intend to listen to all 3 if I can.

Any help, comments or suggestions as always greatly appreciated.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Just to clarify. You're looking at floorstanders around the £2000 mark?

I'd also look at adding a P85 to your set up. I did and it made the world of difference.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Big Chris

Yes I am looking at floorstanders. I deally I would have liked to spend less, but if its worth it I will.

Do you think adding the P85 would be better than a speaker upgrade?....the only problem is I will probably be changing the Amp and CD player in the future. Always open to suggestions though.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't say "better than" a speaker upgrade, but you should be able to pick up a P85 for £200-300 and you'll probably get all of that back if you sell on in a year or two.

I just know adding the P85 rejuvinated my current set up.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
To Big Chris

I think the problem is I am not very knowledgable at all with Hifi, so I did not even consider this option.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Don't forget, as well as the P85, you'll need another interconnect and also another run of speaker cable to bi-amp your Quads.

I'm running twin runs of Atlas Hyper 2.0 (held together with mini cable ties for neatness), One pair from the A85 powering my tweeters and the other from the P85 running the woofers.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again, there is one on ebay now for £350. To be honest I am not sure its a route I would go down but will definitely consider it.

Anyone got any help or tips on the speaker dilemma??

A

Anonymous

I agree re the P85; it'll add more oomph to the soundstage and also give you the option of driving bigger speakers better etc...

However what do you feel you're not getting from the QUAD's as IMO they're very good speakers

The M/A RX6's, B&W 684's, Dali Ikon 5's are all in the same 'league' per say so should be demo'd to see if they open up/improve your soundstage at all...

The PMC GB1i's are lovely speakers but I feel you'd lose out overall in the soundstage and punch as the QUAD's kick out more well than the PMC's do. I also wouldnt bother looking at the Spendor range (well IMO I personally wouldnt but you may like them); but Spendor and Arcam for me is a no-no; far too smooth and yawn inducing!

The B&W CM8's or CM9's would be worth demoing; some good deals can be had on them currently

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
To hifilover 79

I dont thin I am really missing out on anything with the Quads......I just have some cash .....keen to upgrade the whole system over next couple of years and the speakers are the start.

I fell that by going for RX6 or something similar price range I am taking a sideward step....so will be looking to spend about £1500 or as is always the case probably more :)

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have never heard of them but will google, and have a look.

The power amp has me thinking though.....there is also a P1000 ARCAM power amp on ebay for £500. However there lies the problem, I really dont know if this would work with my amp. Thats why difficult to buy second hand.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
As I say the problem with SH is that I dont really know what I am doing. An integrated amp can link with a power amp I think I get that. But would my amp only link well with similar Arcam products. There is a one for sale in a local shop P1000 for 3500 and it was £1700 brand new. But I would not have a clue if it was agood buy, appreciate all the help though x

A

Anonymous

I wouldnt go for the P1000; it's an AV power amp with 7 channels!

If you want a power amp either look for a P85 or see if you can find a 2nd hand P35; both very good power amps but the P35 is a beast and a damned good amp too ;)

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
+1 re all of the above.

Demo'd lots of £2000 speakers with Arcam CDP and amps during autumn '10.

IMVHO, ProAc Response D18 sounded best but eventually went for a 2nd-hand pair of Totem Forests, which were/are much more impressive. (The latter might be appearing on a well-known auction site, very soon...)

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for all the replies so far it certainly given me food for thought.

Back to my original message though......what abiut the 3 speakers I have shortlisted, or shall I say the dealers have suggested......esp the Linn. Do Linn speakers work with other manufacturers equipment?. I seem to remember many years ago it was difficult to match Linn products.

Thank you

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Any comments on the 3 speakers I have listed.

Also if I go down the power amp route, I assume the P85 is quite a rare find, so if I see one available I might have to be quick?

If I used headphones a lot, I take it the power amp will not affect this.....sorry for my ignorance on this. Not a hifi buff as you can probably tell.

Thanks

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
A quick update

The P85 has been purchased off Ebay and yes I am well impressed with the results.

I am no hifi buff so n idea how to describe what I like about it.....its just sounds better, and I am hearing cymbals and stuff that I have never heard before..

I might even stick with the speakers for now......then again I might not :) :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you do decide to change, my speaker choice remains the same and was listed here at post 7:
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/speaker-choicehelp-please

CnoEvil said:
If you do decide to change, my speaker choice remains the same and was listed here at post 7: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/speaker-choicehelp-please[/quote]

The Focals and PMCs are fabulous matches with Arcam, although I wasn't taken with Kef speakers... not with Arcam, anyway. Not too sure why but they just didn't hang together as well as PMC, Focal or MAs.

As an alternative, if the OP doesn't have dogs or marauding kids then Totem Arro are fabulous.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The Focals and PMCs are fabulous matches with Arcam, although I wasn't taken with Kef speakers... not with Arcam, anyway. Not too sure why but they just didn't hang together as well as PMC, Focal or MAs.

As an alternative, if the OP doesn't have dogs or marauding kids then Totem Arro are fabulous.

PP, have you heard the Kef R series, which are much better than the previous IQ or XQ range, and a good step up from the Q series?

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

PP, have you heard the Kef R series, which are much better than the previous IQ or XQ range, and a good step up from the Q series?

No - I heard the IQ ranges. They sounded okay, but didn't have the wow-factor of the other makes you mentioned.

A

Anonymous

I'd personally would start the upgrade with amplification. The Arcam A85 is a nice warm laid-back amp, but sometimes it's too polite.

There're better floorstanders than you very good QUAD L22 certainly, but you can get more from them by upgrading your amplification.

If you have can afford, an integrated amp like Creek Destiny 2 or Electrocompaniet ECI-3 will bring you many benefits to your system.

Audio Maniac said:
I'd personally would start the upgrade with amplification. The Arcam A85 is a nice warm laid-back amp, but sometimes it's too polite.

There're better floorstanders than you very good QUAD L22 certainly, but you can get more from them by upgrading your amplification.

If you have bullet, a real high end integrated amp, like Creek Destiny 2 or Nain XS.

(What a shame this response wasn't posted a month ago. Then I could of said: "Oh no it isn't!")|(

Arcams aren't warm in any sense. The Alpha range were slightly richer, but certainly the DIVA and FMJ ranges aren't. True they can be slightly languid in presentation, but not with a power amp.:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts