Which speakers with Arcam amp and CD player-----help please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
No - I heard the IQ ranges. They sounded okay, but didn't have the wow-factor of the other makes you mentioned.

The R series is much closer to the Reference series than the IQ series...We might know how close, if David Frank Harvey ever gets round to answering my question on another thread :shifty: .

IMO. They are every bit as good as the other brands I mentioned.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
+1 re all of the above.

Demo'd lots of £2000 speakers with Arcam CDP and amps during autumn '10.

IMVHO, ProAc Response D18 sounded best but eventually went for a 2nd-hand pair of Totem Forests, which were/are much more impressive. (The latter might be appearing on a well-known auction site, very soon...)

what are you upgrading to?

A

Anonymous

Maybe I misplaced my opinion. I meant A85 is warm, not overwarm.

Anyway, it doesn't change my opinion. The referred amp is too polite for my taste. It's not good enough at dynamics at high frequencies lack sparkle.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
As I posted earlier I have bought a second hand P85 and I am very impressed with the step up in quality.

To be honest my head is telling me to leave the Speakers for now as they now sound much better since the addition of the P85.

My shortlist are MA RX6, PMC GB1i, Linn Majik 140, and Wharfedale Jade 5

I am now debating whether to go for a really high end pair of headphones as 75% of my listening has to be through headphones.

I listened to some £1000 Sensh D800 and was really taken aback at how good they were.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Womaz said:
As I posted earlier I have bought a second hand P85 and I am very impressed with the step up in quality.

To be honest my head is telling me to leave the Speakers for now as they now sound much better since the addition of the P85.

Told you you wouldn't regret it.:clap:

Of course, the P85 won't be doing anything when you're listening through cans!:doh: :)

You don't have to spend £1000 to get some cracking headphones. Try some Grado SR325is.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
I use Pro Ac Studio 140's biamped with my amps (A90 + P90). Sounds lush to me:dance: . Can't comment on the speakers you've mentioned as I've not heard them.

Oh mine are the Mk1's.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
6th.replicant said:
+1 re all of the above.

Demo'd lots of £2000 speakers with Arcam CDP and amps during autumn '10.

IMVHO, ProAc Response D18 sounded best but eventually went for a 2nd-hand pair of Totem Forests, which were/are much more impressive. (The latter might be appearing on a well-known auction site, very soon...)

what are you upgrading to?

More a sideways step as opposed to an upgrade - contemplating actives, which also have the appeal of less 'boxes'. However, the Forest's spookily fine 3-D imaging, sub-esque bass plus ability to dig out detail and reproduce life-like vocals without ever resorting to brightness is hard to beat, so far... :shifty:

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
...Arcams aren't warm in any sense ... certainly the DIVA and FMJ ranges aren't. True they can be slightly languid in presentation, but not with a power amp.
Andy H said:
I use Pro Ac Studio 140's biamped with my amps (A90 + P90). Sounds lush to me:dance: . Can't comment on the speakers you've mentioned as I've not heard them.Oh mine are the Mk1's.

plastic penguin said:
...Arcams aren't warm in any sense ... certainly the DIVA and FMJ ranges aren't. True they can be slightly languid in presentation, but not with a power amp.

Very true, especially the FMJ A38.

Andy H said:
I use Pro Ac Studio 140's biamped with my amps (A90 + P90). Sounds lush to me:dance: .

Don't know why, but Arcams really do seem to respond well to bi-amping - the step-up is heoooge. I wonder if they're specifically designed to be bi-amped? :?

TRENDING THREADS