Which speakers should i go for ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Which style speaker package should I go for that would complement the Onkyo TX SR605. I was looking at either the Acoustic Energy Aego T or the KEF KHT3005SE. Are the Aego's now out of date or do they stand up to the test still. Had been swaying to them purely from a budget perspective or could i even look at the KHT2005.2 or KHT1005. The budget can stretch to the 3005SE but if the sound quality is not that different i would rather not pay out.Help needed please?

A

Anonymous

Andrew - thanks for the response

I now have another question, there are Kef KHT3005 and KEF KHT3005SE - how do i decide? The ones without SE are £579 the SE are £400 more expensive - are they one and the same or is are these a poorly built model that should be steered well clear of? Thanks in advance

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
The 3005SE's are the very recently released tweaked versions of the 3005's. They have a better subwoofer and some improvements to the satellites.

A

Anonymous

Do you think there is enough improvement in the SE's to justify shelling out an extra £400 - Sorry lot of money for me so want to know i'm getting it right. Thanks

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I'd agree. We gave the 3005 four stars, but the 3005se five stars, so yes they're worth
the extra money, especially if you're using them with the onkyo.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Mind you, if you can get the 'old' 3005s with what is effectively a £400+ discount from the original £1000 price-tag, I think I'd go for the old ones and smugly pocket the difference.

After all, it does mean you're effectively getting the receiver for free, and I'm not sure the difference between four stars and five justifies paying £400 extra, given that the original 4* rating was given at the original price of the original 3005s. Originally, of course...

My original response was meant to suggest that the 3005SE are what you should aim for, not the lesser 2005 or 1005 packages. But for less than £600, I'd go for the original 3005s for certain.

A

Anonymous

As far as I can see, the (now older) 3005's are only available in
silver. If you want black, you will need to go for the SEs or Aego Ts.
Also note that you may need to budget for KEF speaker stands as I dont
recall you can use generic stands with KEFs. Not sure If Aego T's can
be used with generic stands? And you may not need stands anyway!

For what its worth, I agree with Andrew RE the difference between new and old 3005 (and the subs unchanged).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The 3005's (standard and SE) work on standard speaker stands.

And I disagree - to me, the SEs are far superior. For example, they beat last year's product of the year - the £1350 Moniitor Audio Radius - for price/performance. The standard 3005's couldn't even beat the best at £1000 (when they cost that much...), and standards have moved on again since then.

They sound like two different packages - both with music and movies - and I think you'd be underselling the Onkyo with the 3005s.

A

Anonymous

Wow - Thanks for all the help

Felt certain that i would not go for the SE's - until Sevenoaks put a 15% discount offer on all speaker packages. Although still more expensive I can pick up the SE's for £850. Thought i would also share they have 20% off AV receivers and that makes the Onkyo £320 which i think is incredible. Really found the forum and magazines useful so thanks. JUst need to get my stand wanted the apollo concerto lcd but wondering if there are different models. Finding vastly different price http://www.hughesdirect.co.uk/productlist.php?cda=productlist&search=apollo+concerto - this one is £130. The What Hifi magazine suggests a price tag of 250 which is i guess is this one http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/list.aspx?s=APOllo%20CONCERTOLCD are these 1 and the same or am i missing something glaringly obvious.

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I've also just bought the Onkyo 605. My home cinema is an aging 9 years old and this has made a huge difference to my old Yamaha DSP ...

I'm also looking at upgrading my speakers, but I was only contemplating upgrading the Fronts only.
At the moment I have (All 8-9 year old models)
Fronts - B&W DM601, Centre - JBL Mr Center, Rears - Solids (150w) and a Yamaha Sub YST-SW80

Which Front speakers do you recommend ? and would my other remaining speakers sound out of place. I was thinking of the KEF IQ5SE as I like the idea of floorstanders. (Budget os about £400) My room size is about 17ft by 16ft.

Thanks to all repli-eees

Arif

A

Anonymous

BTW, I only really watch DVDs and soon BlueRay. I don't really listen to music CDs

A

Anonymous

Andy

Got to the bottom of it there is an Apollo Concerto AV3000 and an Apollo Concerto LCD - Now I just need to know was the rack you tested in the Ultimate Guide for TV's this month the Concerto LCD or the AV3000. Thanks in advance

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts