Which speakers for budget hifi?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. I'm starting a hi-fi from scratch & thought the Marantz CD6002 & PM6002 would be a good place to start as my budget is <£1000. The only question is which speakers? Monitor Bronze? Tannoy Mercury F1? Would B&W 685 be overkill? Any other choices? They will go into a room approx 4m x 4m.

Thanks for your help

Steve

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
DrH:
Hi. I'm starting a hi-fi from scratch & thought the Marantz CD6002 & PM6002 would be a good place to start as my budget is <£1000. The only question is which speakers? Monitor Bronze? Tannoy Mercury F1? Would B&W 685 be overkill? Any other choices? They will go into a room approx 4m x 4m.

Thanks for your help

Steve

I would go to a dealer, and arrange a demo, rather than buy blind.

Yes, is the simple answer to your first question. If you're set on the Marantz combo the B&W's would be a fine match.

As alternatives to the Marantz's, if you're not bothered about ex-dem items, then look on Sevenoaks website. They normally have good deals on Arcam, Rotel and others. But please don't commit yourself until you've listened to your chosen products.

A

Anonymous

Go for the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2's. I guarantee you will not be dissapointed.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The Cheapest star of speakers at the moment is a pair of Usher 520. They are, to me, the AE1 of modern day. Cost a lot less too.

A

Anonymous

There MUST be a reason why so many distributors match the 6002s with the BR2. :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
DrH:

Thanks for your help

Steve

Personally I would'nt do it that way. Reason being is whilst they all match pricewise as soon as you upgrade any one component the others will be the limiting factor. My suggestion would be to spend your money on either a good integrated such as cyrus8vs2 (discounted), Nait or whatever you prefer, cheap cdp such as a budget NAD (til you can afford a good DAC) or a pair of good speakers such as Rega R3's, Epos, ProAc, Ruark or whatever. Skimp a bit on the amp but still with a cheap but decent cdp.

Alternatively, for a little bit more, listen to Rega Brio, Apollo, R3. The cdp and speakers will be good enough for several amplifier upgrades if you wish so but the Brio is imo a much better balanced amplifier than the 6002.

Also audition AVI's ADM9.1. An immensely powerfull active speaker system with built in pre-amp, DAC. Superb and absolutely no comparison with your suggested marantz/BR2 set-up.

drummerman:DrH:

Thanks for your help

Steve

Personally I would'nt do it that way. Reason being is whilst they all match pricewise as soon as you upgrade any one component the others will be the limiting factor. My suggestion would be to spend your money on either a good integrated such as cyrus8vs2 (discounted), Nait or whatever you prefer, cheap cdp such as a budget NAD (til you can afford a good DAC) or a pair of good speakers such as Rega R3's, Epos, ProAc, Ruark or whatever. Skimp a bit on the amp but still with a cheap but decent cdp.

Alternatively, for a little bit more, listen to Rega Brio, Apollo, R3. The cdp and speakers will be good enough for several amplifier upgrades if you wish so but the Brio is imo a much better balanced amplifier than the 6002.

Also audition AVI's ADM9.1. An immensely powerfull active speaker system with built in pre-amp, DAC. Superb and absolutely no comparison with your suggested marantz/BR2 set-up.

I've got a lot of respect for drummerman. . .really, I have!

I do think this is going over the top!! One moment he is telling him to blow most of his 1K budget on a classy amp. like Nait5i and wasting it on a cd player which comes nowhere near to getting anything decent out of a Naim, just so they can upgrade in a few months or a years time. Many, like myself would rather have a well balanced, good sounding system that will bring years of joy. Don't worry about upgrading in a year or so time.

People might slag us budget to mid-priced hoarders off, but I know the limitations of my system (Arcam in my case).

I know I'm not being unreasonable. . .I really do respect the views of the other forum-ees.

drummerman loves Cyrus/Rega combo. Good luck to him - it turns him on, musically.

For a thousand pounds, that is certainly not the route.

A

Anonymous

Thaiman's Usher suggestion is a good one!

Drummerman is always on point, but the suggestions are a little out of budget. However, you could scrap your original idea of buying the Marantz combo & MA speakers and buy a pair of AVI ADM9's instead. A much wiser purchase than Marantz & MA. You won't regret it!

Good luck...and make sure you do your own listening!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:drummerman:DrH:

Thanks for your help

Steve

I've got a lot of respect for drummerman. . .really, I have! I do think this is going over the top!! One moment he is telling him to blow most of his 1K budget on a classy amp. like Nait5i and wasting it on a cd player which comes nowhere near to getting anything decent out of a Naim, just so they can upgrade in a few months or a years time. Many, like myself would rather have a well balanced, good sounding system that will bring years of joy. Don't worry about upgrading in a year or so time. People might slag us budget to mid-priced hoarders off, but I know the limitations of my system (Arcam in my case). I know I'm not being unreasonable. . .I really do respect the views of the other forum-ees. drummerman loves Cyrus/Rega combo. Good luck to him - it turns him on, musically. For a thousand pounds, that is certainly not the route.

Calm down. It has nothing to do with snobbery it is merely an alternative suggestion to a typical WH best buy system. DrH's suggestion of the marantzes and MA's can, I believe, be had for around 600 quid. There's nothing wrong with it as a first system if he likes it after auditioning and if thats what he wants to spend and no more.

But if you are telling me that you can't build a (massively) better system for 1k even if it means to buy Nad's entry level player which is every bit as good as any other player up to two or three hundred quid we have a major disagreement. I could come up with several more permutations that outperform the above without any problems.

drummerman:plastic penguin:drummerman:DrH:

Thanks for your help

Steve

I've got a lot of respect for drummerman. . .really, I have! I do think this is going over the top!! One moment he is telling him to blow most of his 1K budget on a classy amp. like Nait5i and wasting it on a cd player which comes nowhere near to getting anything decent out of a Naim, just so they can upgrade in a few months or a years time. Many, like myself would rather have a well balanced, good sounding system that will bring years of joy. Don't worry about upgrading in a year or so time. People might slag us budget to mid-priced hoarders off, but I know the limitations of my system (Arcam in my case). I know I'm not being unreasonable. . .I really do respect the views of the other forum-ees. drummerman loves Cyrus/Rega combo. Good luck to him - it turns him on, musically. For a thousand pounds, that is certainly not the route.

Calm down. It has nothing to do with snobbery it is merely an alternative suggestion to a typical WH best buy system. DrH's suggestion of the marantzes and MA's can, I believe, be had for around 600 quid. There's nothing wrong with it as a first system if he likes it after auditioning and if thats what he wants to spend and no more.

But if you are telling me that you can't build a (massively) better system for 1k even if it means to buy Nad's entry level player which is every bit as good as any other player up to two or three hundred quid we have a major disagreement. I could come up with several more permutations that outperform the above without any problems.

Nothing to do with snobbery. The man only has a 1,000 pound budget, suggesting to go a £700/800 pound route on an amp while maybe buying a £350 or so on a cd player doesn't sound like a sage way of building a balanced £1,000 system.

What I have suggested is not WHFI best buy system

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts