Which Speakers cables for brand new HT setup ?

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
hi guys,

Which speaker cables do you all suggest for PSB Image B6+C5+S5+SVS PC12 NSD setup....? AVR right now is a Yamaha RX V450 which will be upgraded to NAD T747.

i don't like bright/lean/forward/fatiguing sound.

i prefer a warm/neutral/detailed/laidback kind of sound which is easy on the ears over a long listening session....

Thanks

Accha subaha rana_kirti

As good as the VD cables are however when used in combination with Yamaha AV amplifiers the sound is far too coloured and heavy. As an alternative i'll suggest that you also consider using some standard 79 strand OFC speaker cables as these will be better suited with your amp.

Keep it simple
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
rana_kirti:i prefer a warm/neutral/detailed/laidback kind of sound....
Unfortunately, those four qualities are rarely related. Warm and laidback can be found together, as can neutral and detailed. The best thing to do is to see if your local dealer has a few different runs of cable that you can borrow to try out your main speakers with - you'll only find out what's best for your system by actually trying it out, otherwise, it's impossible to say what would would be best for 'your' system.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:

As good as the VD cables are however when used in combination with Yamaha AV amplifiers the sound is far too coloured and heavy.

Coloured how?

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
thanks rick, frank and alien....

rick accha subaha to you too my dear friend.... could you elaborate on your comment aboive about the VD being far too coloured and heavy for Yamaha AV amplifiers....

Thanks

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I think what he means is (well what I think is going on), is that yamaha amps tend to boost bass. As the Van Damme lets everything through exactly as it should, then bass is probably a little overpowering.

Thats a fault of the amp, not the cable.

rana_kirti:
thanks rick, frank and alien....

rick accha subaha to you too my dear friend.... could you elaborate on your comment aboive about the VD being far too coloured and heavy for Yamaha AV amplifiers....

Thanks

accha phira se subaha rana_kirti

The sound is bass heavy which i've found overlaps the mid range. This ultimately results in an almost thick presentation which masks some detail. I know you prefer a warm/laidback sound but this could be too much of a good thing.

Hence why ime just some simple 79 strand OFC speaker cables will be far more suitable for your Yamaha AV amp. Fwiw, i used to use 79 strand cables with Yamaha's reference DSP-Z11 AV amp and i now also use the same 79 strand cables with the massive Plinius Odean.

bada mem

Rick @ Musicraft

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
alien & rick,

now i understand the situation better. The Yamaha's are considered warm and that's the reason the VD might not work for me. Cheers.

As in life one question leads to another... So my spiritual teacher used to say don't ask questions but rather always stay in a state of wonder..... but i'll ask another set of questions :)

1. Would i be better off with brighter/leaner cables like QED or Chord ? Or will a 79 strand OFC be as good as QED/Chord ?

2. I will be upgrading my AVR to either a Yamaha RX V2067 or a NAD T747 in couple of months. I can guess you response to the V2067 but if i go the NAD T 747 way will you suggest a VD or a 79 strand OFC or QED/Chord ?

3. Could u show me a website link to a reputed.reliable cable dealer in UK ?

Thanks

rana_kirti:
alien & rick,

now i understand the situation better. The Yamaha's are considered warm and that's the reason the VD might not work for me. Cheers.

As in life one question leads to another... So my spiritual teacher used to say don't ask questions but rather always stay in a state of wonder..... but i'll ask another set of questions :)

1. Would i be better off with brighter/leaner cables like QED or Chord ? Or will a 79 strand OFC be as good as QED/Chord ?

2. I will be upgrading my AVR to either a Yamaha RX V2067 or a NAD T747 in couple of months. I can guess you response to the V2067 but if i go the NAD T 747 way will you suggest a VD or a 79 strand OFC or QED/Chord ?

Thanks

Hi rana_kirti

Just standard/basic 79 strand OFC or at a push ones with several hundred strands of OFC will be more then good enough for your existing amplifier, the RX-V2067 or the T747. These basic cables are also generally available in most electrical shops and cost very little £.

As i said in my previous post for what its worth i also use these basic speaker cables with amplification such as the massive and superb Plinius Odean and i can honestly tell you i am not feeling short changed at all. I feel these standard cables are as good as they get. I've been there, done that and now its back to basics. Simple is best
emotion-1.gif

Anyway just my experience and thoughts. The rest is up to you and i wish you well in your search for suitable speaker cables.

Btw, i am not connected to any alien
emotion-4.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
rana_kirti:

alien & rick,

Thanks

Hi,

I have found the chord better balanced tonally over the QED on my system. The QED I found a little bright and lean in the bass. The chord was better balanced - nice punchy bass, open mids and top end.

Cheers

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS