Which speaker cable for Yamaha RX-V663 with Monitor Audio RX2?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I own the Yamaha RX-V663 AV receiver (which is the same as the DSP-AX763) and just ordered the Monitor Audio RX2 speakers. Since the Yahama receiver is considered to be warm and the RX2s are considered to be bright, I was wondering which speaker cable I should get for this setup. Right now I'm considering these cables:
Chord Carnival SilverScreen
QED Silver Anniversary XT
QED XT Evolution
Any suggestions?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Nice choice with the RX2. Unbeatable for the money in my opinion. I don't really think they are bright, but they are definately more forward than some competitors. I think the RX2 will sound brilliant with the Yam. Can't help you on the cable as I haven't heard the QED offerings. I do like the Chord products and that's what I would try first if it was my money.

What brand interconnect do you use? You might want to keep it in the family with the speaker cable...

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:

Nice choice with the RX2. Unbeatable for the money in my opinion. I don't really think they are bright, but they are definately more forward than some competitors. I think the RX2 will sound brilliant with the Yam. Can't help you on the cable as I haven't heard the QED offerings. I do like the Chord products and that's what I would try first if it was my money.

What brand interconnect do you use? You might want to keep it in the family with the speaker cable...

Right now I'm not using any analogue interconnects. Everything is connected via Sony HDMI and optical cables. Currently I'm using the Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones as my only audio provider, but that's going to change soon, since I ordered the RX2s
emotion-2.gif

I'm planning to order the cables from futureshop.co.uk. There I can order the cables with the plugs pre-installed. QED's AIRLOC plugs look a lot nicer than Chord's though, but does that make QED the better cable?

A

Anonymous

Anyone have any suggestions?

Would the QEDs make my system too bright?

A

Anonymous

Maybe I should play it safe and get the QED Revelation cables. I'd have to pay about 70% more though... Will my system really benefit from this cable? or will I be spending too much?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
ATHFan:Maybe I should play it safe and get the QED Revelation cables. I'd have to pay about 70% more though... Will my system really benefit from this cable? or will I be spending too much?

I think it would be mad to spend half as much on cables as on your equipment. Go for the Chords and I'm pretty sure they will be perfect. Bear in mind that a significant part of the cost of the cable is the plug terminations which is added to the cost/metre.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:I think it would be mad to spend half as much on cables as on your equipment. Go for the Chords and I'm pretty sure they will be perfect. Bear in mind that a significant part of the cost of the cable is the plug terminations which is added to the cost/metre.

I wouldn't say the Revelation is half the price of my speakers... The RX2s cost me over 600 euros. I do get your point though. Any reason I should get the Chords in stead of the other QED speaker cables (Like the XT Evolution)?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
ATHFan:

JoelSim:I think it would be mad to spend half as much on cables as on your equipment. Go for the Chords and I'm pretty sure they will be perfect. Bear in mind that a significant part of the cost of the cable is the plug terminations which is added to the cost/metre.

I wouldn't say the Revelation is half the price of my speakers... The RX2s cost me over 600 euros. I do get your point though. Any reason I should get the Chords in stead of the other QED speaker cables (Like the XT Evolution)?

How many metres do you need?

I have had some sets of the QED and whilst it's nice it is a bit bass light. From what I've heard both of your other choices are better in this respect. I would also suggest that £15/m cable is overkill for a £600 AV Receiver, I very much doubt whether you'll gain the benefits as they will be fairly subtle in this set-up.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:How many metres do you need?

I have had some sets of the QED and whilst it's nice it is a bit bass light. From what I've heard both of your other choices are better in this respect. I would also suggest that £15/m cable is overkill for a £600 AV Receiver, I very much doubt whether you'll gain the benefits as they will be fairly subtle in this set-up.

I just need 1.5meters. Thinking of bi-amping though, so I'd probably get twice the amount of speaker cables...

A

Anonymous

Decided to get 4 x 2 meters of QED XT Evolution speaker cables with Banana AIRLOC plugs at both ends...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts