Which sounds better ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
^ Totaly agree.

Nothing is as black and white as we tend to make it be in these discussions.

Are you a double agent?
evil.png

Totally not!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
^ Totaly agree.

Are you a double agent?
evil.png

Totally not!

Then go back to your " objective measurements are where it's at" and leave me to my subjective grey areas. That way I know where I stand! :shifty: :p

Maybe we should rename this hobby to 50 shades of grey.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
^ Totaly agree.

Are you a double agent?
evil.png

Totally not!

Then go back to your " objective measurements are where it's at" and leave me to my subjective grey areas. That way I know where I stand! :shifty: :p

Now you're talking....and moving closer to my POV.....in a double agent sort of way. :twisted:

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
^ Totaly agree.

Are you a double agent?
evil.png

Totally not!

Now you're talking....and moving closer to my POV.....in a double agent sort of way. :twisted:

Some people believe the world is controled by reptilian race in human disguise or that they were abducted by aliens last thursday.

Claims that scratching plastic is better than digital is not that hard to digest for me.
smiley-undecided.gif

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
Most people do that. They buy Beats by Dre, LG, Cerwin Vega, turntable, valve amp etc. because it sounds better to them personally, despite the fact it is a skewed lense.

Is there any point in buying something simply because it measures well, and ignore whether you actually like the sound of it?

I find that the two invariably coincide.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
Most people do that. They buy Beats by Dre, LG, Cerwin Vega, turntable, valve amp etc. because it sounds better to them personally, despite the fact it is a skewed lense.

Is there any point in buying something simply because it measures well, and ignore whether you actually like the sound of it?

I find that the two invariably coincide.

That's as may be, but that doesn't help those that prefer Vinyl / Valves. Like I said, go with what makes the music come alive.

T

the record spot

...or just happy. Then you can avoid all the p*ssing about with pointless discussions. My current take...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
...or just happy. Then you can avoid all the p*ssing about with pointless discussions. My current take...

Pointless discussions are the lifeblood of the forum.....anyway, since most on here are blokes, this hobby is not about being Happy, it's about being RIGHT! :twisted:

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Vinyl is not my choice because they're too fiddly and I can't do without the ability to skip tracks easily, but I keep an open mind that there must be something about their sound that potentially sounds more "right", otherwise it's hard to explain the revival of this format given all their downsides, while CD seems to be dying in favour of digital files.

I just came back from my city's annual Hi-Fi Show, and by God, the most dynamic sounding and enjoyable listen amongst all the rooms was a Vertere turntable connect to FM Acoustics pre and power amp, and a relatively cheap pair of Neat Elite SX speakers. Listening to that setup, the dynamic range didn't make me feel short changed at all compared to CD.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
the record spot said:

Pointless discussions are the lifeblood of the forum.....anyway, since most on here are blokes, this hobby is not about being Happy, it's about being RIGHT! :twisted:

I think that you lot have too much time on your hands, get yourselves a hobby.........

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sospri said:
I think that you lot have too much time on your hands, get yourselves a hobby.........

I think you're right.

After back surgery, I'm beginning to get back my life.....but (surprisingly) wasting time on here has helped with the rehab.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Sospri said:

I think you're right.

After back surgery, I'm beginning to get back my life.....but (surprisingly) wasting time on here has helped with the rehab.

Yes I know what you mean Cno, sort of a numbing effect.........

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sospri said:
CnoEvil said:
Sospri said:

I think you're right.

Yes I know what you mean Cno, sort of a numbing effect.........

:grin: Precisely!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
^ Totaly agree.

Are you a double agent?
evil.png

Totally not!

I would say more Devil's Advocate . :)

Vladimir is a creative director for a digital marketing agency.

Although ... that would be pretty good cover I suppose.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Some people believe the world is controled by reptilian race in human disguise or that they were abducted by aliens last thursday.

Claims that scratching plastic is better than digital is not that hard to digest for me.
smiley-undecided.gif

So what's happened to: "Nothing is as black and white as we tend to make it be in these discussions"?

As is so often the case, there are two separate arguments going on here, which seem to be getting muddled:

1. Objective - Which format is technically superior?

2. Subjective - Should people be guided by what they actually prefer, even if the measurements aren't ideal?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If I had a Vertere or even a new Xerxes I would behead and impale all the pro digital objectivists on the forum like Conan. Who wouldn't trade the thin cold lab coat for a warm Burlington sweater, enjoying a glass of port while dropping a dancing Koetsu on a steady Decca record.

Untill then, it's me, TrevC and a pair of ASDA DVD players defending objectivity and the future of humanity.

Onward.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
If I had a Vertere or even a new Xerxes I would behead and impale all the pro digital objectivists on the forum like Conan. Who wouldn't trade the thin cold lab coat for a warm Burlington sweater, enjoying a glass of port while dropping a dancing Koetsu on a steady Decca record.

Untill then, it's me, TrevC and a pair of ASDA DVD players defending objectivity and the future of humanity.

Onward.

You and TrevC eh, ye gods, time to dive for cover............

I think it would be a bit daft to dismiss any form of recorded music, no matter how it sounds.

there's gotta be something good about all mediums, which is why i listen to both cd and vinyl and digital music via ipod.

if a company such as Linn can get behind digital music as it has recently, then surely they have heard something good.

they set a standard in vinyl replay, so they seem to know a thing or two about the subject.

i'd say to all, keep your mind and ears open, and enjoy music, in all its forms.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:

Onward.

Conan, that's not impaling. Shaka Zulu... Now thaaaaat's impaling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-2t-0-6soA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTHNPyksNuI

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts