Question Which Samsung...QLED or Crystal

Moakesy

Jun 12, 2020
Visit site
So I’m looking to upgrade my 8 year old Samsung HD-TV. I’m about to get Sky Q with their UHD package (July install date) and so it’s time to get a TV that is up to the job. The Samsung has served me well and therefore I’m biased towards their brand. 43” OLED’s don’t exist.

It has to be a 43” model as anything bigger simply won’t fit. I literally have 1 cm to spare height wise. Having done a bit of research, it looks like my options are:

Samsung Q60T for £799 Like the idea of going QLED to make the most of the new Sky pack, but am I being sucked in by the marketing?
Samsung TU8500 for £599 Like the idea of it being £200 cheaper
Samsung Q60R for £499 (model QE43Q60RATX which I think had the IPS screen). Cheaper is good, but am I losing something with the 2019 model?

It will be connected to a Sonos sound bar, so the TV speakers aren’t important.

All are within my budget and I’d probably say I’m one of those ‘quality more than price’ people, but would I really notice the difference between a QLED and non-QLED model? I‘ve tried to find reviews of the TU8500 model, but they are few and far between (plenty of reviews of the 8000 model).

Can anyone help guide me? I’m really quite stuck.

I don't think there's much difference between the lower range of QLED and non QLED TVs. TU8500 has dual LED and 8000 has single LED.

Bear in mind last year's Q60 is actually this year's Q70, so last year's Q60 is actually superior to the Q60 this year.

Reactions: Moakesy

Moakesy

Jun 12, 2020
Visit site
I don't think there's much difference between the lower range of QLED and non QLED TVs. TU8500 has dual LED and 8000 has single LED.

Bear in mind last year's Q60 is actually this year's Q70, so last year's Q60 is actually superior to the Q60 this year.
Many thanks for your reply....unfortunate timing as I ordered the Q60T last night!!!

On the plus side, found out my partner gets a decent discount through a work scheme, so got it for almost the price of the 8500.

It sounds like last years' Q60R would have been the sensible choice, but it's too late now!! It should arrive tomorrow, so quite excited. Have to wait for Sky Q, but there is always Netflix 4K to test it out. :)

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Moaksey,
Just wondering how you got on with your Q60T? We are about to re do our front room and we are looking to change the TV. Options being considered are the QE50Q60T- seems to be available for £699 at the moment, the UE50TU8500 at £599 or the UE55TU8500 at £699. Obviously the only difference between the last two is screen size. Again, back to your original question, which one should we be going for? BigBoss seems to suggest there's not a lot of difference. The price of all three is very similar so not a lot to put between them with that. Obviously we have to go with something. Any thoughts gratefully appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts