Question Which Rega TT?

mike63

Mar 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi, I have a DIY tube amp and a pair of Spendor s3/5 speakers. It has been primarily a CD system using a Rega Planet 2000 CDP. I am seriously thinking of a turntable and its boiled down to either a Rega P2 or P3. Would a P3 fit or do you think its an overkill in my basic setup? Thankyou.

The best turntable you can afford is never overkill, especially as a tube amp and small speakers will easily get indigestion from warp LF and rumble from an imperfect record player.

Unless you already have a prized collection of LPs I’d seriously not waste my money, but it’s obviously a free choice. Do try it at home if you can before deciding.

Welcome to the forum!

prince albert

May 7, 2020
Visit site
Listening to the P3 is a treat. It hints at high end performance but for a far more sensible price. The difference between a P2 and a P3 is extremely big and that’s not to under praise the P2 either. Often we get the chance to compare an older Planar 3 with the new P3 and you can see exactly where the money has gone. There is simply more information and whilst the basic character is the same the improvements are quite surprising. It is for this reason that the P3 remains the most highly reviewed turntable and is Regas’ best seller.

Copied from a review not mine

Gray

I was just wondering if you're happy with your sound as it is Mike (you probably are).
You see I once committed the ultimate hi-fi sin and bought a pair of S3/5R speakers based solely on a best-buy review :eek::eek::eek:.....I had owned Spendor before but found the (otherwise good) S3/5R surprisingly lacking in treble sparkle, despite being given every chance to shine by Cyrus amplification.
As you're a tube man, it may be that the speakers suit you just fine, but they weren't for me.

mike63

Mar 20, 2022
Visit site
The best turntable you can afford is never overkill, especially as a tube amp and small speakers will easily get indigestion from warp LF and rumble from an imperfect record player.

Unless you already have a prized collection of LPs I’d seriously not waste my money, but it’s obviously a free choice. Do try it at home if you can before deciding.

Welcome to the forum!
HI! thanks for the welcome and point noted and it makes sense of course to have the best possible source.

mike63

Mar 20, 2022
Visit site
Listening to the P3 is a treat. It hints at high end performance but for a far more sensible price. The difference between a P2 and a P3 is extremely big and that’s not to under praise the P2 either. Often we get the chance to compare an older Planar 3 with the new P3 and you can see exactly where the money has gone. There is simply more information and whilst the basic character is the same the improvements are quite surprising. It is for this reason that the P3 remains the most highly reviewed turntable and is Regas’ best seller.

Copied from a review not mine
Hi - thanks for that review.

mike63

Mar 20, 2022
Visit site
I was just wondering if you're happy with your sound as it is Mike (you probably are).
You see I once committed the ultimate hi-fi sin and bought a pair of S3/5R speakers based solely on a best-buy review :eek::eek::eek:.....I had owned Spendor before but found the (otherwise good) S3/5R surprisingly lacking in treble sparkle, despite being given every chance to shine by Cyrus amplification.
As you're a tube man, it may be that the speakers suit you just fine, but they weren't for me.
Hi! well, I got them when they were released and have had them all this time. I like them. I have a smallish listening room so they have worked well within the confines of my space but I think that may not hold true in a larger space. The tube amplification does lend a warmth but at my age, I dont think I am missing much in the way of high frequencies :):)

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts