which projector?

kushal_657

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
my screen size would be approx 120-150 inches. The length of the room is 24 feet. The projector will be suspended from the ceiling either on the back wall or anywhere in the middle of the ceiling. My options are Sony 40ES, Epson 6600 and Epson 8200. Pls suggest.

SDSD

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi

even i am looking for the same projevtor in India.what price are you getting in your country?.I am incliuned towards SOny

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thats a long throw distance - I think you will need to buy based on your screen material.

What gains does your screen have?

If a low gain you will likely want the brightest PJ which is the Epson 8200. If you have a high gain screen you might want to look at the PJ with the best black level for the money.

The Sony is a great all rounder but factor in most review conditions are very different to yours

Not straight forward decision

ellisdj said:
Thats a long throw distance - I think you will need to buy based on your screen material.

What gains does your screen have?

If a low gain you will likely want the brightest PJ which is the Epson 8200.  If you have a high gain screen you might want to look at the PJ with the best black level for the money.

The Sony is a great all rounder but factor in most review conditions are very different to yours

Not straight forward decision

The distance is adjustable:

kushal_657 said:
The projector will be suspended from the ceiling either on the back wall or anywhere in the middle of the ceiling.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
still he needs to consider screen first - then throw distance - then buy the right product re brightness because PJ image quality in my eyes brightness really is important

kushal_657

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
The screen size would be 150''. The throw distance can be either 16' or 24'. About the screen, i would rather spend a little more on the projector than on the screen. Which one of these projectors would better suit this?

kushal_657 said:
The screen size would be 150''. The throw distance can be either 16' or 24'. About the screen, i would rather spend a little more on the projector than on the screen. Which one of these projectors would better suit this?
You need to consider both; a decent projector as well as screen. A bad screen can destroy your viewing experience.

What are your viewing conditions? Is the room as dark as a bat cave? Are the walls light or dark coloured?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Screen is super important - like BB says depending on the room it will make or break your contrast ratio. Doesnt matter how good tthe PJ is if the screen is wrong for the conditions

You need to decide what ratio screen you want as well - I think depending on the content your most likely to watch - if it mostly films to me its got to be a 2.35 screen but if its mostly TV then 16:9

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
is my understanding correct in that the 2.35 screen will just mean the black borders don't sit on the screen, instead sitting on the wall or if a drop down screen the border round the screen. The actual image will be the same size though won't it? Also a 2.35 screen will cause issues with IMAX scenes such as the Dark Knight and later Transformers films where the screen changes size to present the IMAX shots. These would now sit on either the wall or the black bars on a 2.35 screen (i think)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
yes a 2:35 screen is pain for the films that change format which is a stupid idea anyway.

However most films are naturally shot wider and with a 2:35 screen the content fills the screen and yes black bars are above and below so you need to be mindful of what is above and below in terms of colour as will light up a bit if its light

But the image is larger for 2:35 content where on a 16:9 screen the image size is reduced same as on a tv.

The difference is quite dramatic between the 2 and if its mostly films being watched I think 2:35 is a much better screen as once you see it in action you can see why. But with all thingd PJ lots of other factors play in.

a 150" 16:9 screen is a big screen so the 2.35 projected image will still be big - but it also bloody big probably not very black black bars across the top and bottom that actually degrade contast if they are the wrong colour etc

SDSD

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
bigboss said:
SDSD said:
Hi

even i am looking for the same projevtor in India.what price are you getting in your country?.I am incliuned towards SOny
Sony HW40ES was £1849 at launch, currently available for £1499. Reduced in price due to recently launched HW45ES.
Very Slight diff in Indian Price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts