Which Photo cartridge is this? and is it worth an upgrade?

shuttle

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I've just picked up a Rega Planar 3 but I'm not sure which cartridge is currently on it. Below are links to a couple of snaps of it:

Image 1

Image 2

There's no markings, model numbers or branding on it anywhere. Would anyone know what it might be?

The equipment I'm using it with are a Cyrus One amp and Tannoy 607 speakers. If I were to upgrade what might be a good one to go for? Any suggestions would be welcome. I've heard good things about the Super Bias, Super Elys and the Goldring etc. I would probably be happy spending up to £150 or more if it's worth it.

Any help on either points would be great.

Cheers,

Sam

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
It's a Rega Bias, the original model.

If it sounds all right, keep it until it needs replacing. If not, think in terms of the Ortofon Blue, Goldring 2300 or 1042, or, if you want a decent cheapie, the AT95E with the upgraded HE stylus.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Yep thats the original Rega Bias Cartridge......Personally I would say that for £150.00 you can get a better cartridge.

I can highly recommend the Goldring 1042, which is what I have fitted to my Plannar 3, an excellent all round and excellent sounding cartridge..however this may be slightly over your budget at approx £220.00 from Superfi. I would also say that the 2000 goldring series would also be a good match for the Rega as would the Ortofon Blue.

As altruistic has suggested if you are happy with the sound from the Bias Cartridge, I would keep it for the time being and possibly save a bit of money for a new cartidge in a few months time. The Rega cartridges are good enough, I just thing that you can do better for a budget of between £150 to £200.

shuttle

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
That great! Thanks a lot for clearing that one up.

The Goldring 1042 looks like the way to go. If I were to upgeade from what currently have to the 1042 would the differences be quite apparent?

Also would it be worth me looking at an additional phono stage or is the cyrus one pretty capable?

Thanks again.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Shuttle,

Well I upgraded from the Elys2 cartridge (next one up from the Bias) and I found a distinct and noticable improvement in the sound from the 1042. Bass had a lot more depth and found that the mid and high's became a lot more distinct and recognisable.

The 1042, I find is an excellent all round cartridge with a good rounded sound :)

I would suggest that you keep the phono stage for now and upgrade the cartridge. I use a Goldring PA1 phono stage between my Caspian pre/power and Rega TT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts