Which MC cartridge?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
As most of you know, I am using a trichord dino MK1 phonostage with a 2M red cartridge. Since getting the dino I am hungry for getting more out of my vinyl. I have heard good things about MC cartridges but I have not been able to compare the two as I have always had MM cartridges. What are the major sonic impacts of a MC cartridge? I know that they dig deeper and track better than a MM- correct me if I am wrong, hence giving more detail etc. Also, in the next few months I will be saving for a MC catridge- looking at around the £300 mark, so which one? or do I stick with a much more expensive MM cartridge like the 2M bronze at around £250 (I am open to other manufacturers)

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Rondo red?
emotion-1.gif

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
5cats35:£288.75 in exchange for your old Ortofon cartridge @ www.audioaffair.co.uk I have no connection with this website other than being a satisfied customer!I had a look at that part exchange scheme- I am sure it's an exchange for an old cartridge of equivalent value..which the 2m red isn't. If only :) I like audio affair too...bought some audiophile vinyl from them- good selection.

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
gbhsi1:5cats35:£288.75 in exchange for your old Ortofon cartridge @ www.audioaffair.co.uk I have no connection with this website other than being a satisfied customer!I had a look at that part exchange scheme- I am sure it a exchange for an old cartridge of equivalent value..which the 2m red isn't. If only :)I like audio affair too...bought some audiophile vinyl from them- good selection.

Sorry, you are right; what a pain!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
You've pretty much nailed the MC cartridge description. They do track better than a MM cart, obviously you'll find very fine MM cartridges that out perform MC but overall MC track better and the results from that better tracking mean better sonic and frequency responses.

If your in the market for a £300 MC cartridge theres a couple you should look at. The Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo II & Dynavector DV-10X5. These two are highly regarded and worth reading about (reviews online), unfortunately i have no experience of either but i do use a Dynavector albeit an different model and it very good.

Hopefully someone can give you an insight to either.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:You've pretty much nailed the MC cartridge description. They do track better than a MM cart, obviously you'll find very fine MM cartridges that out perform MC but overall MC track better and the results from that better tracking mean better sonic and frequency responses.

If your in the market for a £300 MC cartridge theres a couple you should look at. The Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo II & Dynavector DV-10X5. These two are highly regarded and worth reading about (reviews online), unfortunately i have no experience of either but i do use a Dynavector albeit an different model and it very good.

Hopefully someone can give you an insight to either.Thanks Shooter69. I really like those two that you have mentioned. Especially interested in the Sumiko- at £230...a steal!! Any more I can look at?

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
The Denon DL 103Ris a good shout but it can be arm dependant and i'm not sure how it would work with yours. It may turn out to be a belter but if it doesn't then your stuck with a cartridge.
I would be happier recommending the Denon DL304 but that comes in around £350.
By all accounts and as you've put the Sumiko is a bargain and the Denon DL304 is regarded by some as the best MC cart around (again reviews online), obviously that is subjective but i'm not sure for the extra outlay you'll get considerably more over the Sumiko. I think a considerable jump in cost would bring more from the vinyl so from the two mentioned i'd probably go for the Sumiko but obviously the choice is ultimately down to you.

Enjoy.

A

Anonymous

shooter69:The Denon DL 103Ris a good shout but it can be arm dependant and i'm not sure how it would work with yours. It may turn out to be a belter but if it doesn't then your stuck with a cartridge.
I would be happier recommending the Denon DL304 but that comes in around £350.
By all accounts and as you've put the Sumiko is a bargain and the Denon DL304 is regarded by some as the best MC cart around (again reviews online), obviously that is subjective but i'm not sure for the extra outlay you'll get considerably more over the Sumiko. I think a considerable jump in cost would bring more from the vinyl so from the two mentioned i'd probably go for the Sumiko but obviously the choice is ultimately down to you.

Enjoy.

Good point, running mine on a Ittok which seems to be a marriage made in heaven. Guess the Denon prefers medium mass arms

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
This will help with cartridge/arm combination.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/tonearmcartridge.html

Theres some good information on this site and all easy to follow.

emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

The Dynavectors are good moving coils, as is the Denon DL103 (interestingly my local dealer didn't rate the DL103R and suggested the basic Denon 103 was better) plus there's also the Ortofon moving coils. I'm using the X1-MCP in my Technics linear tracker at the moment. It's more analytical than the others I've mentioned, but a good cartridge nonetheless.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies and brilliant options. The Sumiko is the cheaper of the lot you have all mentioned...and a giant killer by the looks of it. So that looks like a winner in my books. I will let you guys know how I get on when I finally purchase it :) Although, if you recommend another cartridge that is like the sumiko but cheaper, my ears and wallet is open!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Can someone explain the difference between MM and MC cartridges?Thanks, pp

A cantilever is like a see-saw with the diamond waggling around in a groove at one end.

At the other end of the cantilever you can have a little magnet waggling around - surrounded by static coils - generating a signal OR you can have little coils waggling around surrounded by static magnets. (Hence 'moving magnet' and 'moving coil'.)

The MCs track better because the weight of the coils on the end of the 'see-saw' is much less than the weight of a little magnet.

(Imagine trying to trace fine lines, or do fine handwriting, if your pen had a heavy magnet glued to the top of it, and then compare it with just having a couple of coils of thin wire wrapped around instead.)

The downside is that (generally) the signal produced by MC is tiny compared to MM so needs better (read more expensive) handling. More gain is required, and more gain comes with more noise, so there is an impact on the S/N ratio unless the MC phono stage is well-designed with high quality components. MM gives a bigger, more 'robust' signal that does not need so much gain and therefore can be dealt with adequately even by quite cheap built-in phono stages. (Then there is RIAA equalisation, but that is another story and applies to all cartridges.)

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
Thanks, Chebby. Good post - always had MM, but as the Leema has a toggle switch for MM and MC this will be helpful further down the line.

NB: Hope your enjoying having some time away from the forum?

Doesn't hurt that the phono stage is a good one!
emotion-5.gif

rubber_duck:plastic penguin:

Thanks, Chebby. Good post - always had MM, but as the Leema has a toggle switch for MM and MC this will be helpful further down the line.

NB: Hope your enjoying having some time away from the forum?

Doesn't hurt that the phono stage is a good one!
emotion-5.gif

Absolutely - the phono stage on the Leema sounds damn fine to me...
emotion-21.gif

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I have started to look at another MC cartridge- still with the same manufacturer but about £90 cheaper. The Sumiko Blue point 2 at £149.00. Will this be a big upgrade to my 2M Red cartridge I have?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts