Which interconnect for around £100?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade the interconnect that came with the rega apollo cd player I recently bought. Using with an icon audio stereo 40 valve amplifier and rs6 speakers. My budget is around £100, and I'm considering the following:

Chord Chameleon

Atlas Equator Superior

Clearer Audio Copper Line

Any other suggestions or recommendations? Also, the last two cables are copper only, whilst the chord is silver plated. What sort of effect does this have on the sound?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Missing Link Alaqeia. What ever you go for, try and get a second hand one so you can try it, if it doesn't work out....move it on at no cost

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Chord Chameleon Silver Plus

Rega Couple

DNM Stereo Solid Core (Eichmann BulletPlug)

Whatever you go for, make sure you can get a home audition and let your ears decide.

A

Anonymous

van den hul the wave, beats the others hands down I think

A

Anonymous

idc:Whatever you get, make sure you can return it. Rega make good cables for their kit.

Thanks for all your answers.

Judging by all responses so far it seems very subjective! The choice has been widened rather than narrowed!

My problem is that I live a long way from any hifi shops, so would probably need to get something mail order. Unless there are any shops that could send me a few to try, maybe I should stick to one of the companies (like Clearer Audio) that offer a money back guarantee?

A

Anonymous

try the chords ... not sure how they would work with your setup, but if you contact them on their website, they will advise which one to use, and they give you one to try at home before you buy

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
cad1:

I'm looking to upgrade the interconnect that came with the rega apollo cd player I recently bought. Using with an icon audio stereo 40 valve amplifier and rs6 speakers. My budget is around £100, and I'm considering the following:

Chord Chameleon

Atlas Equator Superior

Clearer Audio Copper Line

Any other suggestions or recommendations? Also, the last two cables are copper only, whilst the chord is silver plated. What sort of effect does this have on the sound?

Thanks!

I had the Chameleon Silver Plus and flogged it on fleabay once I'd given Silver High Breed an extensive audition. For my system it was a no-brainer - even my hi-fi sceptical other half and daughter noticed an immediate improvement. If it works for you then the other bonus is that it will save you around £75.

Currently listening to Neu! - Neu 75

T

the record spot

This interconnect from Computergear (part of the AC range) replaced my Audioquest Copperhead (themselves £60-odd) the other week. Not better, not worse, just exactly the same. Absolutely identical. Which means they sound good, as my AQ's did. Good bass, good clarity, nice midrange.

send_binary_p4p.asp

Yours for about £5, or the 2m version for just under £7.

A

Anonymous

Stratos 3, built for and used by the military ( so i,m told )

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
johnnyjazz:.... built for and used by the military ( so i,m told )

That claim (if true) carries no prestige like it used to.

The military often have to put up with deficient and unreliable gear.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
johnnyjazz:Stratos 3, built for and used by the military ( so i,m told )

By the lowest bidder from the cheapest material that confirms to specification. Wow praise indeed!!

John Duncan

True Blue:Sorry to hijack, but JD, how does the Chorus sound tonally compared to the Chameleon?

Dunno, haven't heard a Chameleon. But when you can get a £200+ interconnect for 90 quid, as I said in my decription when I sold mine; "if your system doesn't sound good with this in it then you need to look at the other components in the chain"...

A

Anonymous

chebby:

johnnyjazz:.... built for and used by the military ( so i,m told )

That claim (if true) carries no prestige like it used to.

The military often have to put up with deficient and unreliable gear.

What military did you think i meant, also Linn build a lot for the military

A

Anonymous

Well I'm thinking of trying a Chord Chameleon. Any recommendations on which company to order one from?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
johnnyjazz: What military did you think i meant, also Linn build a lot for the military

Building for the military is not the boast it used to be.

Linn don't build anything for the military.

The company once founded and run by Ivor T's father (Jack Tiefenbrun) and now run by younger brother Marcus Tiefenbrun - Castle Precision Engineering in Glasgow - build for the military.

They are however two seperate trading entities. CPE do build metal casings and other parts for Linn equipment under contract like any other supplier, but they are not Linn (and Linn is not CPE) despite the family connection and despite Ivor T starting off his career and training in his father's company.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

johnnyjazz: What military did you think i meant, also Linn build a lot for the military

Building for the military is not the boast it used to be.

Linn don't build anything for the military.

The company once founded and run by Ivor T's father (Jack Tiefenbrun) and now run by younger brother Marcus Tiefenbrun - Castle Precision Engineering in Glasgow - build for the military.

They are however two seperate trading entities. CPE do build metal casings and other parts for Linn equipment under contract like any other supplier, but they are not Linn (and Linn is not CPE) despite the family connection and despite Ivor T starting off his career and training in his father's company.

Thanks for correcting me chebby, i do apologise. I wasn,t boasting, to me cables are cables, if they do the job well enough then great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts