Which integrated amplifier/stereo receiver for KEF reference 102/2?

MAre007

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm going to buy integrated amplifier or. stereo receiver for my 16 years old KEF reference 102/2, 4 ohms, 89 dB loudspeakers.

I recently sold 23 years old Luxman L-525 and now I would like to buy something with remote controller, simple, good quality for 500-1.000 €.

I don't use any gramophone.

Do you have any idea, which integrated amplifier or. stereo receiver would go very well with my KEFs ?

On internet I found CREEK-Evolution-2, Denon PMA-1510AE and ONKYO A-9555. Which of these would be the best. Do you have any other better idea?

What do you think about receivers ONKYO TX-8555 or DENON DRA-700AE ?

Regards,

MAre

kef%202.JPG

kef%201.JPG

Luxman.JPG

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I would certainly listen to the Denon. I use the brand and am happy with most aspects. The model you mention has won a yearly award in one publication and is said to have the current/power necessary to drive many speakers without to many issues. Yours is, I guess by the pictures, a nominal 4ohm load, as are many speakers today so I would not expect any of the brands you mention to have a problem.

It just comes down to personal preference and there is a wealth of good products out there.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Aaaah, memories. Nice speaker - tight controlled bass, as long the amplifier did it's job. I'd say you could do with adding to your budget to get the best out of them, but you could look at the Audiolab 8200A, which is an excellent amplifier, and I remember using the original 8000A's and P/C combinations with them in the early 90's.

As far as sub £1,000 amplifiers are concerned, the Audiolab would be the main one I'd recommend, although I haven't heard the Denon 1510. There will be a few amplifiers in this price bracket that will drive them, but not many that will be able to control the 102/2's bass. Pre/powers are ideally needed to provide the sort of dynamics that these speakers are capable of.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Aaaah, memories. Nice speaker - tight controlled bass, as long the amplifier did it's job. I'd say you could do with adding to your budget to get the best out of them, but you could look at the Audiolab 8200A, which is an excellent amplifier, and I remember using the original 8000A's and P/C combinations with them in the early 90's. As far as sub £1,000 amplifiers are concerned, the Audiolab would be the main one I'd recommend, although I haven't heard the Denon 1510. There will be a few amplifiers in this price bracket that will drive them, but not many that will be able to control the 102/2's bass. Pre/powers are ideally needed to provide the sort of dynamics that these speakers are capable of.

I still would be grateful if you could post an 'open-lid' pic of the Audiolab amp at some stage. Thanks

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I would've been tempted to hold onto the Luxman, but I understand the need for convenience.

My dad's Luxman is from the mid-70's and still going strong. If yours is anything like the few old Luxman's I've heard, I hope you find something meeting your needs in that price bracket, I suspect it might be hard, or they'll have quite a different sound.

MAre007

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Aaaah, memories. Nice speaker - tight controlled bass, as long the amplifier did it's job. I'd say you could do with adding to your budget to get the best out of them, but you could look at the Audiolab 8200A, which is an excellent amplifier, and I remember using the original 8000A's and P/C combinations with them in the early 90's.

As far as sub £1,000 amplifiers are concerned, the Audiolab would be the main one I'd recommend, although I haven't heard the Denon 1510. There will be a few amplifiers in this price bracket that will drive them, but not many that will be able to control the 102/2's bass. Pre/powers are ideally needed to provide the sort of dynamics that these speakers are capable of.

FrankHarveyHiFi, so which amplifier would you recommend for good control of the 102/2's bass? If I understand correctly, the point is the quality of preamplifier.
Can tone controls help? Since a suitable amplifier would cost quite a
lot, I'm thinking of changing my Kefs for less demanding or delicate
loudspeakers. Do you have any suggestions which to buy?

Thanks in advance for any advice you (or anybody) can give me.

A

Anonymous

You'd be hard pressed to find speakers as good as your Kefs at anywhere near a decent price. While they're still going, keep them, you'll regret it if you sell.

You might also want to consider Densen amps, Electrocompaniet, even the bigger Marantz amps. None of them will have trouble controlling the bass.

MAre007

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Grottyash:
You'd be hard pressed to find speakers as good as your Kefs at anywhere near a decent price. While they're still going, keep them, you'll regret it if you sell.

You might also want to consider Densen amps, Electrocompaniet, even the bigger Marantz amps. None of them will have trouble controlling the bass.

You're right about KEFs, I love their soft, gentle sound.

DENSEN B-110 - for me an excellent design, but will be 2x 60 W - 8 ohm (2x120W - 4 ohm) enough to drive their bass?

A

Anonymous

I've heard the Densen B110s driving several different 4ohm Dynaudios without a problem, but you're always better off auditioning just to be sure.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:You'd be hard pressed to find speakers as good as your Kefs at anywhere near a decent price.
Agreed. While in some ways the new Q series might improve in certain areas, there'll still be certain aspects of the sound which can't be touched by sub £1,000 speakers.

MAre007

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Grottyash:I've heard the Densen B110s driving several different 4ohm Dynaudios without a problem, but you're always better off auditioning just to be sure.

I found about 10 years old Arcam DiVA A85 for 400 ?.

What do you think. Will Arcam DiVA A85 match my KEFs ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts