Which high end 4K Blu-Ray player are people buying these days?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

I see this should be out soon:

Audiocom AV is in England (I think)?

Here:

They are apparently going to sell it.

I have sold 2 Cambridge Audio CXUHD on eBay recently and got roughly £550 for one. Pioneer’s are out of stock. Oppo are well expensive on eBay. That sort of leaves Sony and Panasonic. Is that what people are buying when you buy a new 4K Blu-Ray player these days? Or are you just keeping with Blu-Ray players?

Are you going to try and buy one of these new ones when available or are you just streaming? Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

I forgot about the new 4K games consoles, is that what people are buying for their 4K fix?

buzz_lightclick

I have sold 2 Cambridge Audio CXUHD on eBay recently and got roughly £550 for one. Pioneer’s are out of stock. Oppo are well expensive on eBay. That sort of leaves Sony and Panasonic. Is that what people are buying when you buy a new 4K Blu-Ray player these days? Or are you just keeping with Blu-Ray players?

Are you going to try and buy one of these new ones when available or are you just streaming? Cheers.
I think you had one of the best ones, the Pioneer LX800, but I recall you found it was faulty and so returned it?
The Panasonic UB9000 is their flagship one, Sevenoaks had some ex demo ones.
Of course the Xbox Series X and PS5 disc version have 4K players built in if you are not bothered about the extra audio features of more expensive stand alone players.

D

Deleted member 2457

I think you had one of the best ones, the Pioneer LX800, but I recall you found it was faulty and so returned it?
The Panasonic UB9000 is their flagship one, Sevenoaks had some ex demo ones.
Of course the Xbox Series X and PS5 disc version have 4K players built in if you are not bothered about the extra audio features of more expensive stand alone players.
Yes, faulty the Pioneer was! Should’ve bought the Oppo 205 at £1078 ex-display at Sevenoaks!

D

Deleted member 2457

Didn't you have the Oppo at one point?
Yes, I had two Oppo 203 models but sold them both on eBay for like £550 each! And the Cambridge Audio cost me £700! Mind you I did buy 2 cheap Cambridge Audio players on Richer Sounds website to make up for it. :) Sold for profit too.

michael hoy

It doesn't look like it Gel.
Model/Version:
UDP-LX800,UDP-LX500 : V01.17
CHANGE HISTORY:
[V01.17]
Improve playback compatibility of certain Blu-ray discs.

[V01.16]
Improve playback compatibility of certain 4K UHD Blu-ray discs.

[V01.13]

[V01.12]
Improve stability of playback for, BD-R/RE and SACD.
Improve stability of playback web content.
Minor bug fixes and stability improvements.

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

It doesn't look like it Gel.
Model/Version:
UDP-LX800,UDP-LX500 : V01.17
CHANGE HISTORY:
[V01.17]
Improve playback compatibility of certain Blu-ray discs.

[V01.16]

[V01.13]

[V01.12]
Improve stability of playback for, BD-R/RE and SACD.
Improve stability of playback web content.
Minor bug fixes and stability improvements.
Thanks Michael! I was hoping it was but never mind - thanks for the info. (y)

buzz_lightclick

Pioneer have released a firmware update for the Pioneer 500/800 4K Blu-ray players:

I wonder if it’s the promised HDR 10+? That will certainly make the Pioneer’s more attractable, if they come back in stock again.
There’s one here Gel, upgraded version hence the crazy price!

Tinman1952

Interesting….I bought a Sony UXB800 12 months ago and a dozen or so 4K Blu-rays to try it out. It’s very well built and quiet in operation. The thing is I haven’t used it since….(apart from playing some SACDs).
I think these devices will very soon die out like the dinosaur or become prohibitively expensive.
All my 4K viewing is from Apple TV for two reasons.
The films are MUCH cheaper to buy, look excellent and include Dolby Vision.
Try finding any discs with Dolby Vision. They are as rare as hen’s teeth! 🙂

abacus

Streaming relies on your internet connection whereas a 4K Blu-ray doesn’t, so until everyone has reliable high speed broadband, (Starlink while expensive looks like the best for rural communities) 4K Blu-ray will be way better than a streaming service for those that like true cinema immersion. (Assuming you have a big screen of course (Anything less than 65” is pointless)

There is always the problem that even though you have bought something on a streaming service, it might not be there forever. (As Apple owners found out some years ago)

Bill

abacus

Interesting….I bought a Sony UXB800 12 months ago and a dozen or so 4K Blu-rays to try it out. It’s very well built and quiet in operation. The thing is I haven’t used it since….(apart from playing some SACDs).
I think these devices will very soon die out like the dinosaur or become prohibitively expensive.
All my 4K viewing is from Apple TV for two reasons.
The films are MUCH cheaper to buy, look excellent and include Dolby Vision.
Try finding any discs with Dolby Vision. They are as rare as hen’s teeth! 🙂

Unless its niche or really old you will have a job finding a 4K Blu-ray disc without DV, not the other way round.

Bill

D

Deleted member 2457

Streaming relies on your internet connection whereas a 4K Blu-ray doesn’t, so until everyone has reliable high speed broadband, (Starlink while expensive looks like the best for rural communities) 4K Blu-ray will be way better than a streaming service for those that like true cinema immersion. (Assuming you have a big screen of course (Anything less than 65” is pointless)

There is always the problem that even though you have bought something on a streaming service, it might not be there forever. (As Apple owners found out some years ago)

Bill
It is a bit scary that Apple TV app is everywhere now, then all of a sudden could get cut off!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts