Which Dab Tuner?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have the Arcam CD73, NAD 352 amp and Mission 773e speakers. Using Chord Cobra interconnect and chord carnival silver plus speaker cable.

I am after doing 2 things. First I want a DAB tuner, I have upto £300 to spend. Second, would spending more money on better speaker cabling yield any real benefits with this equipment?

Rob

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="grenjosee"]
I have the Arcam CD73, NAD 352 amp and Mission 773e speakers. Using Chord Cobra interconnect and chord carnival silver plus speaker cable.

I am after doing 2 things. First I want a DAB tuner, I have upto £300 to spend. Second, would spending more money on better speaker cabling yield any real benefits with this equipment?

Rob

[/quote]

I find DAB tuners that use dual modules (FM/DAB) usually have compromised FM performance compared to FM only tuners. I use the radio a lot so use a separate FM tuner and a cheap DAB set top box as available from any dixon/currys etc. DAB tuners are much of a muchness and most use the same far eastern modules so differences are in the implementation of output stages more than anything else. If you're not critical about FM then Denons dual radios are a good bet for a decent price.

Cables ... dont ask me
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I have a decent Sony FM tuner which I am happy with, its just the DAB really.

A

Anonymous

The Denon model they do in Richer Sounds is very good and well under the (meaningless?) RRP.

A

Anonymous

To pick up the 'cheap DAB set-top box' comment:

If this kit is in the same area as the TV, do you even need to do that?

I use the DAB radio channels selected from the Humax PVR/Freeview box, which itself goes through a TEAC amp, and I have to say they sound absolutely spot on.

Plus, there is usually detailed programme information displayed on the TV screen if you go the Freeview route.

And of course, if you do already have a Freeview/PVR, decent quality scheduled recordings are a pice of cake.

(Apologies if I've gone down a road that you don't want to travel.)

John Duncan

[quote user="TheMaskedMarvel"]
To pick up the 'cheap DAB set-top box' comment:

If this kit is in the same area as the TV, do you even need to do that?

I use the DAB radio channels selected from the Humax PVR/Freeview box, which itself goes through a TEAC amp, and I have to say they sound absolutely spot on.

Plus, there is usually detailed programme information displayed on the TV screen if you go the Freeview route.

And of course, if you do already have a Freeview/PVR, decent quality scheduled recordings are a pice of cake.

(Apologies if I've gone down a road that you don't want to travel.)
[/quote]

And Freeview bitrate is better and increasing, while DAB bitrate is poorer and decreasing. Depends on your stations of choice.

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
I have the Marantz and have to say its very good, fm is excellent and dab as good sa it can be with the poor bit rates

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts