Which CD Player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I fancy a 'new' CD player to compliment my Arcam FMJ A18 and ProAc Studio 125.

I think I prefer to stick with Arcam as I've always been happy with their kit so...

Second hand CD72T for sub £150 or ex-demo FMJ CD17 for just over £350 ?

Paul

John Duncan

Or add DVD replay as well...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARCAM-DVD-CD-Player-FMJ-DV27A-/330703537911?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D120878249712%26ps%3D54

matthewpiano

Another vote for the CD17 here. Well built and a very capable CD player. It should last you far longer than a used CD72 so represents a better investment to my mind. However, I would also suggest doing an A/B comparison with a Marantz CD6004......

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
:)

Personally I'd get the CD17 because it's a bit better built and will match your A18 rather more closely aesthetically. Soundwise, there won't be much in it...

+1 for the CD17.

A

Anonymous

Ok, the FMJ CD17 is a done deal bought this evening after Mrs Duffer consumed the best part of a bottle of Primitivo :cheers:

The problem is...

Mrs Duffer has been aware/unaware (depending on if she's seen the receipts) of the purchase of a Dac Magic, an Arcam A18, a pair of ProAc Studio 125s and said FMJ CD17 over the last 3 weeks so getting fairly vexed could be a distinct chance....

The next planned (shhhh...) purchase is a rack of the 'Hi FI Racks' (as recomended in What Hi Fi) nice oak racky-tabley-thingys. Trouble is, they cost about £130 per layer. So, base/amp shelf, CD shelf, plus top shelf will cost the best part of 400 quid. Can I get away with just a base shelf with the A18 sitting directly on top of the CD17 and a lid, therefore just purchasing two layers at £260-ish?

Is it a Hi Fi no no to sit components on top of each other?

Once this is sorted I may even enter the dark murky Emporer's new cloths world of cables....

A

Anonymous

Yes an answer would be nice, the best part of the second bottle of Primitivo is responsible for the strike through... I think... hic... :cheers:

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ah, understood!

I guess if you were looking to get the third layer at another time in the near future, stacking components could be a compromise for a while (though ensure any vents are clear to prevent overheating and even then, I'm not sure it's a great idea). But if it was long term, as I say, I'd definitely go for a cheaper rack.

In the hi-fi world, it's definitely considered a no-no! (and for good reason)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts