which cd player to match the audiolab 8000a amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all hope all are well.I,ve just joined so please be gentle with me!My question/problem is which cd player will best suit my amp?The amp is an audiolab8000a my main type of music is indie/alternative/punk.(not to everyones taste i know!)my budget is about£200-400.idont mind s/h at all.oh yea speakers are b&w601s2.Any advice would be grateful.Hope everyone has a good day.

Hi rididdigits

I know the 8000A and 601S2 speakers well as i used to sell these. If you can stretch your budget then Rega's Apollo cd player is worth a look as its presentation will suit the types of music you listen to and its overall tonal balance will also suit the 8000A and 601S2 speakers :)

Btw, if you got a cd player with a digital output then Rega's DAC is also worth serious consideration. The Rega DAC performs even better then the Apollo cd player and you can also use the DAC with other digital media :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

rigiddigits said:
Hi all hope all are well.I,ve just joined so please be gentle with me!My question/problem is which cd player will best suit my amp?The amp is an audiolab8000a my main type of music is indie/alternative/punk.(not to everyones taste i know!)my budget is about£200-400.idont mind s/h at all.oh yea speakers are b&w601s2.Any advice would be grateful.Hope everyone has a good day.

Because the Audiolab can be slightly clinical, I'd be inclined to look at something in the region of this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-FMJ-CD17-CD-Player-Silver-Pre-owned-/160642557035?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item25670ae46b

From a dealer you'll get a warranty. The suggestion of the Rega Apollo is another goodie.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
rigiddigits said:

Because the Audiolab can be slightly clinical, I'd be inclined to look at something in the region of this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-FMJ-CD17-CD-Player-Silver-Pre-owned-/160642557035?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item25670ae46b

From a dealer you'll get a warranty. The suggestion of the Rega Apollo is another goodie.

I have to agree for the most part with PP, having had three Audiolabs they tend to be very 'honest' with the signal fed to them, although this is not to be mistaken with being forward. Matching with an Arcam CD player or Rega sounds like a nice balance.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
rigiddigits said:

The Arcam/Rega CD idea is certainly a sound one, having had two Audiolabs I know they can be very honest about the signal being fed (c**p in, c**p out ;) ) so a nice balancing act, I think.

A

Anonymous

rigiddigits said:
'Hi all hope all are well.I,ve just joined so please be gentle with me!My question/problem is..'.

Matey, I'm also new and quite clueless when it comes to the technicalities (so I won't advise you here) but I can safely say that this has been a friendly, informative and proper supportive forum for my queries. Quite blown away really.

Cheers and happy hunting!

A

Anonymous

Hi all.Thanks for the helpful advice.Think im going to try and get the arcam player,but also would an audiolab cd player be the logical choice as well?How do people rate the roksan k1 cd player?Once again many thanks for the help.

A

Anonymous

rigiddigits said:
my budget is about£200-400.

I'm not entirely sure why people buy CD players anymore, as there are better ways to attain your digital stream, but there you are!

I'd get any CD player that a) works and b) has optical out

Then I'd blow £115 on a Behringer Ultracurve DAC, and set it to internal clock, upsample to 88.2kHz and you're good to go. Sounds very sweet too.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Globs said:
rigiddigits said:
my budget is about£200-400.

I'm not entirely sure why people buy CD players anymore, as there are better ways to attain your digital stream, but there you are.

For the same reason that people still buy cars with manual gearboxes my friend:
The automatic shift may be better in so, so many ways, but by god the manual is so much more fun and is what driving is all about.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts