Which cd player for crisp, defined cymbals?

SatelliteMan

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,
I'm currently running an Audiolab 8200a through Monitor Audio Silver 1s, and as you would expect, it's a very revealing sound. I actually really enjoy this aspect, having only just changed from an old NAD C320, to the 8200a. I'm now looking toward getting a better source than my Marantz cd5004. I find it to sound quite 'hard' and processed, and mushy with treble. I personally judge a cd sound by how real the cymbals are rendered. I realise that some recordings are mastered badly, and in these cases, you simply have to accept that. For a great recording such Metallica's Black Album, or Rage Against The Machine's debut, I know that there is a much better reproduction to be had via a better cd player, or better DAC perhaps. In short, id like a source that can take advantage of the resolution that the amp and speakers are capable of. Thanks for your thoughts on this guys!
Chris

SatelliteMan said:
Hello all, I'm currently running an Audiolab 8200a through Monitor Audio Silver 1s, and as you would expect, it's a very revealing sound. I actually really enjoy this aspect, having only just changed from an old NAD C320, to the 8200a. I'm now looking toward getting a better source than my Marantz cd5004. I find it to sound quite 'hard' and processed, and mushy with treble. I personally judge a cd sound by how real the cymbals are rendered. I realise that some recordings are mastered badly, and in these cases, you simply have to accept that. For a great recording such Metallica's Black Album, or Rage Against The Machine's debut, I know that there is a much better reproduction to be had via a better cd player, or better DAC perhaps. In short, id like a source that can take advantage of the resolution that the amp and speakers are capable of. Thanks for your thoughts on this guys! Chris

What sort of budget? Can you get to audition anything in your area?

It might be worth looking at a CD transport and stand-alone DAC.

SatelliteMan

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
At this point, about £500 comes to mind, but I'd consider spending more if I hear something which inspires me. I'll check out Bel Canto.
Thanks for your replies!

If you don't mind going second hand,there's some bargains to be had on the well known auction site with some arcam cd players,which should work well with your gear.check out the cd 82,cd192(was a near £1000 cd player)and the cd93 all on the bay for around your budget or less . I've owned the cd72t and cd82 which is a great cd player,but that 192 is probably the one I'd go for.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
You could check out Bel Canto.

Clean and clear is the Bel Canto sound all over. You could also add smooth with detailed treble to that. If you want your cymbals to crash rather than splash then Bel Canto is well worth an audition.

Having previously owned a Chord Blu transport and an Audio Research Reference CD9 I primarily purchased my Bel Canto for the Phillips CDPRO2 transport mechanism. Sadly the Bel Canto CD2 was discontinued a couple of months ago after the Phillips base transport was also discontinued. You can however still buy CD2's new from some stockists and they pop up second hand every few months. The headline here is if you see one then buy one because the transport is arguably the best ever made and the sound reflects this. The onboard DAC is also very good making it a great CDP package, but there is no point in me using the Bel Canto DAC given that my Devialet amplifier will process a non-digital input through its own DAC anyway.

You can also upgrade the CD2 with Bel Canto's external power supply which is a worthwhile addition.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gazzip said:
CnoEvil said:
You could check out Bel Canto.

Clean and clear is the Bel Canto sound all over. You could also add smooth with detailed treble to that. If you want your cymbals to crash rather than splash then Bel Canto is well worth an audition.?

Having previously owned a Chord Blu transport and an Audio Research Reference CD9 I primarily purchased my Bel Canto for the Phillips CDPRO2 transport mechanism. Sadly the Bel Canto CD2 was discontinued a couple of months ago after the Phillips base transport was also discontinued. You can however still buy CD2's new from some stockists and they pop up second hand every few months. The headline here is if you see one then buy one because the transport is arguably the best ever made and the sound reflects this. The onboard DAC is also very good making it a great CDP package, but there is no point in me using the Bel Canto DAC given that my Devialet amplifier will process a non-digital input through its own DAC anyway.?

You can also upgrade the CD2 with Bel Canto's external power supply which is a worthwhile addition.

*good*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Really high end stuff the bel canto
Dont you think overkill for your system? The m dac by audiolab have nice highs also for the price.

Unless you can have a 2nd hand bc somewhere.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Really high end stuff the bel canto Dont you think overkill for your system? The m dac by audiolab have nice highs also for the price.

I hadn't spotted the OP's budget so yes, new will be a stretch. Second hand should be achievable.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Dont you think overkill for your system? The m dac by audiolab have nice highs also for the price.

With a flexible budget and a 2nd hand unit, I thought it would be doable.

It is probably a bit overkill, but it could be the start of something great!

My Electrocompaniet PC-1 is very crisp and revealing without being bright. Should match the Audiolab well. In some respects the Electro isn't too dissimilar to Arcam: Smooth midrange and well defined HF and LFs.

Mine is just collecting dust... being trying off-load it since the beginning of January. No-one seems to want it.

Just a thought.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
My Electrocompaniet PC-1 is very crisp and revealing without being bright. Should match the Audiolab well. In some respects the Electro isn't too dissimilar to Arcam: Smooth midrange and well defined HF and LFs.

Mine is just collecting dust... being trying off-load it since the beginning of January. No-one seems to want it.

Just a thought.
Not a bad thought.

K

keeper of the quays

Got a old cd you don't like much? Freebie from classic fm magazine? T cut it..yes the shiny bit..lol..t cut cd as you would car body..then wash cd under tap with washing up liquid..dry carefully.. Voila! Crisp cymbals! Crisp everything! Ps, this does work...try it

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
Got a old cd you don't like much? Freebie from classic fm magazine? T cut it..yes the shiny bit..lol..t cut cd as you would car body..then wash cd under tap with washing up liquid..dry carefully.. Voila! Crisp cymbals! Crisp everything! Ps, this does work...try it

I can confirm that this is true to a certain extent but make sure you use Metallic T cut , the original is too coarse .

I have tried almost everything known to man to clean and remove surface scratches from the second hand Cd's that I buy and T cut metallic is by far the most effective I have found followed by Servisol disc cleaner to remove any residue .

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/scratch-repair-paint-restorers/t-cut-metallic-colour-restorer-500ml

http://www.partmaster.co.uk/compact-disc-cleaner/product.pl?pid=567197

I am not sure this will make you cymbals sound any crisper but it will reduce errors *smile*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

With a flexible budget and a 2nd hand unit, I thought it would be doable.

It is probably a bit overkill, but it could be the start of something great!

It may start a new amp and speaker mission also haha

K

keeper of the quays

Electro said:
keeper of the quays said:

I can confirm that this is true to a certain extent but make sure you use Metallic T cut , the original is too coarse .

I have tried almost everything known to man to clean and remove surface scratches from the second hand Cd's that I buy and T cut metallic is by far the most effective I have found followed by Servisol disc cleaner to remove any residue .

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/scratch-repair-paint-restorers/t-cut-metallic-colour-restorer-500ml

http://www.partmaster.co.uk/compact-disc-cleaner/product.pl?pid=567197

I am not sure this will make you cymbals sound any crisper but it will reduce errors *smile*

i will try the metallic t cut...i found t cutting discs brighter sounding! Think the op should try this first...cheap fix?

K

keeper of the quays

Might be worth trying silver plated interconnects..that may give you more shimmer?

SatelliteMan

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Is it plausible that the effects of jitter/general inaccuracy of a whole cd system, are most prominent in high frequencies? Well rendered cymbals just seem much harder to attain, than tight bass, and clear mids. I don't have any technical knowledge, but I'm happy to speculate!

SatelliteMan

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
TrevC said:
I would have thought that crisp well defined cymbals are loudspeaker territory rather than swapping CD players.
Maybe I'm too trusting of my MA Silver 1s, to present to me, whatever is underachieving further up the chain of components. On certainly more aware of a processed sound, than when I had a C320 with Mission 701 speakers!

SatelliteMan said:
TrevC said:
I would have thought that crisp well defined cymbals are loudspeaker territory rather than swapping CD players.
Maybe I'm too trusting of my MA Silver 1s, to present to me, whatever is underachieving further up the chain of components. On certainly more aware of a processed sound, than when I had a C320 with Mission 701 speakers!

You would certainly get a bigger upgrade with a speaker change. The Silver 1s are very good but better can be had for similar money - this is coming from a MA Silver fanboy. Perhaps MAs GX50 would suit, as would old (probably) PMC DB1is

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
SatelliteMan said:
TrevC said:

You would certainly get a bigger upgrade with a speaker change. The Silver 1s are very good but better can be had for similar money - this is coming from a MA Silver fanboy. Perhaps MAs GX50 would suit, as would old (probably) PMC DB1is

Good call but note the "i" in PP's recommendation. Don't go for the DB1+ or DB1. The "i" range saw the introduction of a cracking new tweeter.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts