Which cables?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
System Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated Amp Musical Fidleity Nu-Vista CD3 Linn Sondek LP12 Mission 753 Freedoms I've had my Musical Fidelity amp and cd player about 6 months and need to get some new speaker cable as the stuff I have at present (and have had for longer than i'm too ashamed to say) is a cheap un-named brand of bi-wire given to me as a freebie when I bought my speakers. I need one of 2 metres length and one of 5 metres length and have shortlisted three different makes. Ecosse QED Chord Company Given my system and the particular sonic traits it may have, which of the above cables listed or any not listed would best be suited? I'm also wondering do the benefits of bi-wiring really make it worth the extra expenditure as I could spend the £200 I have at present and go for a more expensive single run of cable version of the bi-wire available cables, or if bi-wiring does make such a significant difference a cheaper bi-wire. Then again do I wait (6 months +) until I've got closer to £400 and get a more expensive bi-wire such as the Ecosse ES4.45 or QED Genesis silver spiral? I know it's a case of you pays yer money and takes yer choice but I can't auditon the cables so advice from those of you with vastly more experience in such matters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks PE.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="pompeyexile"]System

Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated Amp
Musical Fidleity Nu-Vista CD3
Linn Sondek LP12
Mission 753 Freedoms

I've had my Musical Fidelity amp and cd player about 6 months and need to get some new speaker cable as the stuff I have at present (and have had for longer than i'm too ashamed to say) is a cheap un-named brand of bi-wire given to me as a freebie when I bought my speakers. I need one of 2 metres length and one of 5 metres length and have shortlisted three different makes.

Ecosse
QED
Chord Company

Given my system and the particular sonic traits it may have, which of the above cables listed or any not listed would best be suited?

I'm also wondering do the benefits of bi-wiring really make it worth the extra expenditure as I could spend the £200 I have at present and go for a more expensive single run of cable version of the bi-wire available cables, or if bi-wiring does make such a significant difference a cheaper bi-wire. Then again do I wait (6 months +) until I've got closer to £400 and get a more expensive bi-wire such as the Ecosse ES4.45 or QED Genesis silver spiral?

I know it's a case of you pays yer money and takes yer choice but I can't auditon the cables so advice from those of you with vastly more experience in such matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PE.[/quote]

I can highly recommend Chord Rumour at approx £10 p/m for the single run. This is just a general recommendation though as i have not heard your system.

A

Anonymous

Don't forget about atlas.....they do great cable - the hyper bi-wire cable would sound nice with your system (25 pounds per metre). Chord epic twin is lovely if you can stretch to it, but apparently it really needs some "burn in" time if you subscribe to that theory. Also, be careful about too much length discrepancy between speaker cable. You may not notice 0.5 to 1m, but a 3m difference might be too much. Get advice on that from a good dealer. Some dealers will have ex-demo cable already run in, and will be only too happy to loan it to you at home for a short time, so try a few if you're in doubt.

A

Anonymous

In my experience buying a more expensive single run of cable will sound better.Use short lengths of the cable you buy as cable jumpers between the cable connectors on your speakers in place of the gold connectors. Bi wiring sometimes makes no difference and, again in my experience, a small difference at best. It's bi amping that makes the big difference. Chord company odyssey and qed xtube 400 are both excellent cables. The x tube gives a slightly richer fuller sound than the odyssey.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I can from my experience say that Bi wiring works and works well. The differences are every bit as great as those gained from choosing a good speaker cable over a thin piece of bell wire.

[quote user="JoelSim"]It's the same signal.[/quote]

Well, it also the same signal that passes down a single cable yet all speaker cables don't sound the same (IMO ) despite transmitting the same signal.

[quote user="JoelSim"]I don't understand how biwiring can have any difference at all.[/quote]

Rather then go into a technical argument as to why biwiring works ( which I have done on other postings), I thought I would let an expert explain why it works. He has also got the experimental measurements to back up his arguments:

Sorry but the flaky forum formatting software prevents me from putting a hyperlink : http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/biwiring.htm and http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/biwiring2.htm

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Anton90125"] Rather then go into a technical argument as to why biwiring works ( which I have done on other postings), I thought I would let an expert explain why it works. He has also got the experimental measurements to back up his arguments:[/quote]

I found it did make a big difference when I was using thin cables but doesn't do an awful lot when I became educated and changed to good quality thick ones, which pretty much is what would be expected and more or less agrees with what John Risch is saying.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
In my experience, even with thick cable I found that I could (blind tested) tell the difference.

The differences between biwired/single wired had a general pattern. This was that the biwired had a tighter bass (there was less boxiness in the sound) ,the top was sweeter and there was a better presentation of ambience.

The amount of this improvement did varied with the cable I used but not in a way that could be explained purely by cable gauge alone. This is also in agreement with Jon Risch. Indeed the use of separate cables to separate the low and high frequency magnetic fields ( which would otherwise intereact) being identified by Jon as a clear bonus. ie as he states "Using one much larger unsophisticated cable to achieve the same thing as bi-wiring is just not possible".
I have experimented with mixing cables. Tailoring the cables for the top and bottom end. This I found yielded the best results. This is also mentioned Jons website (though I did in the late 80's/early 90's with QED C38 and Van den hul CS122) .

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Sam Srivastava"]Don't forget about atlas.....they do great cable - the hyper bi-wire cable would sound nice with your system (25 pounds per metre).[/quote]

I can safely say this is sound advice. I have the Atlas Hyper bi-wire connecting my two Audiolab 8000Ps to my KEF 105/3s and the sound coming from my kit is nothing short of astonishing.

In case you're wondering, I'm using an Arcam CD23 & Musical Fidelity X-Pre V3, which is slightly lacking in the bass department, so I also use a KEF PSW3000 sub-woofer tweaked at 52KHz with a high-pass filter back to the power-amps, eliminating crossover problems. The MF preamp is the culprit but the mids and highs are so incredibly fantastic, I feel loathed to change it. Oddly enough the 105/3s only go down to 45KHz anyway, but the sub seems to have an overall effect on bass frequencies and drums, giving me that kick in the mid region which I find lacking from even the very best kit that I've heard.

Anyway I'm wandering off the track here.. Basically, yeah.. Atlas Hyper bi-wire is top notch for the money.

A

Anonymous

I suspect that whether bi wiring makes a difference depends on the speakers.Maybe for some it makes a bigger difference than others.I have found with the speakersi have owned that at best you get a marginal improvement and with some speakers you get none. i have never had a significant change from bi wiring, yet i felt compelled to do it!Logically ,buying more expensive cable and single wiring should give better sound than cheaper cable bi wired. Twin binding posts on speakers are there for bi amping surely?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"]Twin binding posts on speakers are there for bi amping surely?[/quote]

I take it this is a joke?

A

Anonymous

I meant twin sets of binding posts, as in 4 posts on each speaker which enables bi amping.

A

Anonymous

Here's an article on the subject. It seems a wee bit OTT to me.
emotion-20.gif

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts