Which bookshelf / standmount speakers (up to £230)

Hi

I am looking to pick up some speakers for my parents to go with their Yamaha A-S501.

They have to be bookshelf / standmount speakers and will be quite tight up against the wall. The room they are in is fairly small (10' x 14').

Music wise they like lots of 60s/70s/80s right up to modern british rock / pop (beatles, jj cale, elbow, palo nutini) . They do like to crank the volume up quite often!

The A-S501 is quite bass heavy so i wouldn't be looking to pair them with 'bass heavy' speakers as the combination might be too much..

So far i have been looking at;

CA SX50
CA SX60
MA MR2
Q Accoustics 3020 (these look great but how do they compare being smaller?)
MA Bronze 1
CA Aero2

Thanks for any help of info.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
My vote would be for the Q Acoustic 3020's.
I had them in a small room and thought they were brilliant for their price.

If they must be in close proximity to the wall then their shallower cabinets would be more favourable.

I dont know how your parents feel about bright treble but the 3020's would be inoffensive in that department compared to the MA's imo.

It all depends if the QA's would be a good match with the Yamaha.
I dont know that amp I'm afraid. If it's on the smooth rich side then it may gel better with the brighter MA's.

Hopefully someone familiar with the Yamaha could make a prediction on whether it would be a successful pairing with the QA's.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I'd probably see if I can listen to the Tannoy Mercury 7.2, Dali Zensor 1/3, or Wharfedale 220/225 models with the Yamha amplifier. One of these should be more than adequate.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
No I dont think so, the Yam is on the warm side of neutral but I haven't heard any of the speaker short-list. Not to worry too much, the Yam has tone controls ahh yes! :)

Michael Cutajar said:
Hi

I am looking to pick up some speakers for my parents to go with their Yamaha A-S501.

They have to be bookshelf / standmount speakers and will be quite tight up against the wall. The room they are in is fairly small (10' x 14').

Music wise they like lots of 60s/70s/80s right up to modern british rock / pop (beatles, jj cale, elbow, palo nutini) . They do like to crank the volume up quite often!

The A-S501 is quite bass heavy so i wouldn't be looking to pair them with 'bass heavy' speakers as the combination might be too much..

So far i have been looking at;

CA SX50CA SX60MA MR2Q Accoustics 3020 (these look great but how do they compare being smaller?)MA Bronze 1CA Aero2

Thanks for any help of info.

Try to audition the CA Aero 2's, you might be pleasantly surprised.

matthewpiano

I'm going to sound like a stuck record, but I'd highly recommend Wharfedale Diamond 220s. They are fabulous speakers and I've not once heard them show signs of boom or bass overhang, and yet there is plenty of bass there for dealing with lower strings, bass guitars, kick drums etc. They are a very integrated and natural listen.

Auditioning, as ever, is advised.

I would dem as many of the speakers as possible. Personally, around that price bracket I doubt there's much difference between any of them, with the possible exception of slight tonal differences.

IME it'll boil down personal taste in aesthetics and size.

I think if choosing for others, even your taste is pretty irrelevant, let alone fellow contributors here. Do look at the dimension, though, because - contrary to one comment above - the QA are almost as deep as they are high. If fitting close to a wall, a shallow cabinet might matter a lot more than anything else. Ditto price. All are competent designs with pros and cons.

Agree with Nopiano. It's a minefield at the best of times, hence my recommendation for having a few dems.

However, I would go with the safest choices. IMO Wharfedale and Q Acoustics fall into that catagory, although I've only heard 2020i from the Q range.

Alberich said:
nopiano said:
I think if choosing for others, even your taste is pretty irrelevant, let alone fellow contributors here. Do look at the dimension, though, because - contrary to one comment above - the QA are almost as deep as they are high. If fitting close to a wall, a shallow cabinet might matter a lot more than anything else. Ditto price. All are competent designs with pros and cons.

You're a gas man

You're obviously thinking of the 2020i's.

3020's height 26cm - depth 22cm.

The 3020's are considerably shallower than their 2020i predecessor and are not too fussy about placement.

I had them very close to the front wall in a small room hence my recommendation.

Good for you, I am glad you found something that suits your requirements. However others may be dissimilar in their tonal requirements. Auditioning themselves is the only way to solve their own questions.

Alberich said:
nopiano said:

You're a gas man

The 3020's are considerably shallower than their 2020i predecessor and are not too fussy about placement.

I had them very close to the front wall in a small room hence my recommendation.
I wasn't, actually, and they are less deep that the previous series, which were deeper than tall! I still think they are an odd shape if not using stands. No disagreement re sound though!

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
Alberich said:
nopiano said:
I think if choosing for others, even your taste is pretty irrelevant, let alone fellow contributors here.  Do look at the dimension, though, because - contrary to one comment above - the QA are almost as deep as they are high.  If fitting close to a wall, a shallow cabinet might matter a lot more than anything else.  Ditto price.  All are competent designs with pros and cons. 

You're a gas man

Good for you, I am glad you found something that suits your requirements. However others may be dissimilar in their tonal requirements. Auditioning themselves is the only way to solve their own questions. 

It's not good for me it's good for the OP.

Do you even bother to read the OP's specific questions?

Tonal differences aside,
The advice I gave him results from direct experience with a speaker on his shortlist.

I could also advise him on his placement concerns with that particular speaker as I've experienced them firsthand placed close to a wall.

The clique mentality with you lot really does a disservice to people that come on here with genuine questions.

All this brownnosing amongst grown men has put me off my lunch.

Alberich said:
Al ears said:
Alberich said:
nopiano said:

You're a gas man

Tonal differences aside, The advice I gave him results from direct experience with a speaker on his shortlist.

I could also advise him on his placement concerns with that particular speaker as I've experienced them firsthand placed close to a wall.

The clique mentality with you lot really does a disservice to people that come on here with genuine questions.

Then maybe you shouldn't do it.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I'm going to sound like a stuck record, but I'd highly recommend Wharfedale Diamond 220s. They are fabulous speakers and I've not once heard them show signs of boom or bass overhang, and yet there is plenty of bass there for dealing with lower strings, bass guitars, kick drums etc. They are a very integrated and natural listen.

Auditioning, as ever, is advised.

On a youtube video review of the 121 and 122 speakers by an audio shop it was suggested that the speakers sounded very good, but only with the speaker covers off. Just curious if you have a view on this with the 220s.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
Alberich said:
Al ears said:
Alberich said:
nopiano said:
I think if choosing for others, even your taste is pretty irrelevant, let alone fellow contributors here.  Do look at the dimension, though, because - contrary to one comment above - the QA are almost as deep as they are high.  If fitting close to a wall, a shallow cabinet might matter a lot more than anything else.  Ditto price.  All are competent designs with pros and cons. 

You're a gas man

Tonal differences aside, The advice I gave him results from direct experience with a speaker on his shortlist.

Maybe you shouldn't skim read.
You'll make more sense that way.

If a person seeks advice on this forum concerning a piece of kit I have owned or have experience with I will certainly try to help them.
Regardless.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just saw some Mission SX1's in lovely gloss cherry or black on the bay. 300 quid new so slightly over budget but oh so gorgeous and a very good price.

Just tell your parents not to eat for a week.

They'll be ok :)

Alberich said:
Al ears said:
Alberich said:
Al ears said:
Alberich said:
nopiano said:

You're a gas man

Maybe you shouldn't skim read. You'll make more sense that way.

If a person seeks advice on this forum concerning a piece of kit I have owned or have experience with I will certainly try to help them. Regardless.

I don't.

Maybe you should realise the obvious in that whatever you consider to be good might not appear so to the OP who has a completely different listening room and ears compared to you. By all means offer your opinions but to suggest anything but the OP auditioning for himself, particularly when it comes to speakers, is inappropriate.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Buying equipment for someone else can be quite an experience. What I often find is that they're not as fussy as I am, or even really care that much beyond the cosmetic!

I would be asking things like what colour speakers do they want, and stuff like that.

Having said all that, I would also strongly recommend looking at second hand (harder with white speakers, though).

thewinelake. said:
Buying equipment for someone else can be quite an experience. What I often find is that they're not as fussy as I am, or even really care that much beyond the cosmetic!

I would be asking things like what colour speakers do they want, and stuff like that.

Having said all that, I would also strongly recommend looking at second hand (harder with white speakers, though).

I rest my case.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
Alberich said:
Al ears said:
Alberich said:
Al ears said:
Alberich said:
nopiano said:

You're a gas man

Maybe you shouldn't skim read. You'll make more sense that way.

If a person seeks advice on this forum concerning a piece of kit I have owned or have experience with I will certainly try to help them. Regardless.

I don't.

Maybe you should  realise the obvious in that whatever you consider to be good might not appear so to the OP who has a completely different listening room and ears compared to you. By all means offer your opinions but to suggest anything but the OP auditioning for himself, particularly when it comes to speakers, is inappropriate.

If you read my initial post you'll see I'm recommending the 3020's based on the fact they can be placed close to the front wall which is a priority for the OP.
Also because he is buying for his parents I mentioned that the 3020's are on the inoffensive side which may not be a bad thing considering the circumstances.

Lastly, I also mentioned that the QA's are not perfect and that they may not match well with the Yam and hopefully someone can advise him further.

How yourself or anyone else has a problem with that advice is argumentative at best.

I believe you may still have a beef with me stemming from my ATC/Arcam thread.

Am I wrong?

I also must mention that of course I do not disagree with the audition recommendations. I never uttered anything of the sort.
Don't suggest I did because it's simply false.

It's very possible though that the OP will not be or can't audition any of the speakers from his list.
Why would he ask for advice here if he can just go and make up his own mind.

The fact that the speakers are for his parents anyway makes auditioning even more unlikely.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:

You're thinking of the 2020i's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts