Which bookself speaker for metal?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
A friend of my, also lovss metal music even more than me, will buy new booksels speakers. But it must be speakers who are forgiving for bad metal records and on the warm side. I think something of b&w like the 685s2 or cm6s2. MA sounds enthousiastic but on the bright side. What do you think?

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Prety much any bookshelf speakers should be fine for Metal. I have Monitor Audio BR 1's. I just brought them as speakers in a sale with no idea how good they would be. I'm currently listening to lots of Metal, I had Machinne Head all day yesterday, Some Malevolent Creation and Massacre today with some Masterplan later. I think it's a lot to do with how well they are driven as even some bad sounding albums like some crusty Blackmetal I was listening to sounded nice and clear.

And as said already, it depends on the room size/shape. Make sure you get some think gage speaker cable as thin stuff will just squash the signal and make the bad metal albums sound worse.

I found cables have made more difference in how good things sound but I'll leave that up to you if you want to try some mid priced interconnects £35 and up to see if that helps with the sound.

If you're in England, the Bristol Sound and vision show is coming up in Feb. I would attend it as you can hear more speakers and talk to the people who make them and play some of your own music if you ask for a private listening session. You get show discount too. Same for the interconnects.

I recommend The Chord Company but only because that's how I've got my system sounding so good and they won't just suggest their most expensive. They will advise what is best for your set up.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't like thinking of speakers in isolation to the rest of the system....so I would be saying "What system for Metal"; or "What speakers would work with a given system for Metal"?

Almost any speaker can be made sound good or bad, depending on how its fed (imo).

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I was going to recomend old AR3 speakers ... a bit bigger than bookshelf but they are really good (old) speakers

until I checked the prices on ebay .... some guys are asking over £1000 per pair

I will be searching for these at carboot sales

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
which will be nicer; the 685S2 or the expensive CM 6S2? My experience with metal music is how expensiver it is, how worser the sound. Expensive speaker let hear the bad records to much. I think the 685S2 makes more fun. Agree?

SteveR750

Rock / Metal has a lot of HF energy in it, so you need to avoid on over bright / grainy sound otherwise it just gets painful after a while to listen to it at anything more than library levels. I'd therefore avoid anything with a metal tweeter in a budget speaker which tend to be on the brighter side of neutral.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
good speakers sound good with any type of music

but you need an amp that will get the most out of the speakers

and if you are not happy with the bass, add a sub

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
What about the KEF R300? It sound not so open with extended highs as the R500. And that is good for me! And what is a good stand for this speaker?

Not hear the B&W yet, but read complaints about sharp highs??????

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
What do you think is the vest for older rock and metal, the new b&w 683s2, a floorstander or thd kef r300, a big bookshelf? Which has the nicest not bright highes and best punchy bass ans sound nice warm?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:
What do you think is the vest for older rock and metal, the new b&w 683s2, a floorstander or thd kef r300, a big bookshelf? Which has the nicest not bright highes and best punchy bass ans sound nice warm?

IMO. The R300 isn't bright and has substantial bass.....haven't heard the B&W.

IME. It needs a good amp to keep the bass under control.

Don't get to hung up on the b&w 685 s2.I think my older original 685 sounded better.And £500 for them . there havin a laugh.you could probably get some used cm5's for that cash which imo are great for metal and a considerable step up from both aforementioned speakers .nice deep extended bass,treble not too harsh and more forgiving of some suspect recordings.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
It's b&w 683s2 (not the 685s2) vs kef r300. On a german forum someone found the kef r300 too dark sounding with slow bass and too laid back voices. Also boring.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
You have to demo them as to me after auditioning lots of brands the kefs stood out. I find the voice and mid range a strong point and the bass is fast so rather listen yourself and dont listen to reviews to much as they might sway you away from a good product by taking what they said out of context

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I have had the pmc twenty 22's for a year or so , r300 before, and IMHO they are really good for this sort of stuff and handle the complex treble without sounding muddled. You are right that sometimes the better the system is the worse the music sounds as it really highlights poor sound engineering, but there is a certain magic in the gritty grass roots recordings as there is in high budget perfect production.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:
It's b&w 683s2 (not the 685s2) vs kef r300. On a german forum someone found the kef r300 too dark sounding with slow bass and too laid back voices. Also boring.

Opinions are like pollen, which is floating around the internet. Just make sure you get pollinated by the right one....and the only way to do that, is to form your own.....otherwise you may grow weeds.

Is pretty much all I listen to. Many different sub genres with loads of different styles.

ive had focal speakers for around a year, and they sound fantastic. They are definitely worth auditioning.

They are not "bright" at all.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
B&w 683S2 is "out". Topend with metal and rock still too bright. Maybe the B&w cm8S2 are better? Otherwise it will be the Kef R300. The Kef R500 sounds brighter than the R300. I think R300 more suitable for rock and metal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts