Which B&W speaker package would be a great upgrade from my current speakers and work well with a Pioneer amp?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

As above. Been looking but can't really identify one, is there a different brand going about more suited? Budget around £12,000. Only looking for a 5.1 setup. Thanks!

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
gel said:
As above. Been looking but can't really identify one, is there a different brand going about more suited? Budget around £12,000. Only looking for a 5.1 setup. Thanks!

Have you typed the wrong budget price.

D

Deleted member 2457

Q5 said:
gel said:

No, I was just wondering, my current speaker package costs £4000, so it's only three times more.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Q5 said:
gel said:

No, I was just wondering, my current speaker package costs £4000, so it's only three times more.

Gel, I am worried about you - do you need to have a chat with your doctor? ;)

D

Deleted member 2457

expat_mike said:
gel said:
Q5 said:
gel said:

Probably - cheers mate!

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
expat_mike said:
gel said:
Q5 said:
gel said:

Probably - cheers mate!

*good*

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
wow, just wow. few days ago you said you was out of money, now you have a £12,000 budget for just a speaker package? you probably wouldn't even hear a difference.. you stole your parents cards or something?

D

Deleted member 2457

No, I was just dreaming if I came into some money.

D

Deleted member 2457

RobinKidderminster said:
I have called for the white-van man. Not a moment too soon judging by recent posts.
regular_smile.gif
Yes, I have learnt they are heavy!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I don't recall which Pioneer AV receiver you have Gel, but presuming it's about £2,000, I wouldn't be putting ANY £12,000 speaker package on it (or any other £2k AV receiver).

Speakers are a lot more revealing and demanding when you get to those levels, and I would say a £4/5k speaker package is about a general limit. To move above that price you'll need speakers that are an easy load - the main package to me that springs to mind would be the PMC Twenty series.

I've replied to this not to give you advice to spend £12k, but as general information for all.

D

Deleted member 2457

David@FrankHarvey said:
I don't recall which Pioneer AV receiver you have Gel, but presuming it's about £2,000, I wouldn't be putting ANY £12,000 speaker package on it (or any other £2k AV receiver).

Speakers are a lot more revealing and demanding when you get to those levels, and I would say a £4/5k speaker package is about a general limit. To move above that price you'll need speakers that are an easy load - the main package to me that springs to mind would be the PMC Twenty series.

I've replied to this not to give you advice to spend £12k, but as general information for all.
Thanks David. What did you pair the Susano with? I got the Pioneer sc-lx81 £2000. I heard my package together many times and knew that is what I wanted. Just thinking about the future and what kind of package I might aim for. Will there be a big difference? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2457

RobinKidderminster said:
Did you not answer your own question?

Gel

B&W 800 Diamond floorstanders speakers pair black £12,500

http://www.pjhifi.co.uk/clearance/
I did give them a call but they couldn't answer my questions. So it was a no no. Besides I learnt how big they were and how heavy, but it's useful to know they offer big discounts.

D

Deleted member 2457

David@FrankHarvey said:

Ick they're urgly got anything better than that? I like the style element too, that's why I went for B&W.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
wow, just wow. few days ago you said you was out of money, now you have a £12,000 budget for just a speaker package? you probably wouldn't even hear a difference.. you stole your parents cards or something?

I used to be concerned about gel's means but not any more. I feel quite stupid now at why I worried!

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
nugget2014 said:

I used to be concerned about gel's means but not any more. I feel quite stupid now at why I worried!
I don't have that sort of money.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks David. What did you pair the Susano with? I got the Pioneer sc-lx81 £2000. I heard my package together many times and knew that is what I wanted. Just thinking about the future and what kind of package I might aim for. Will there be a big difference? Thanks.

[/quote]If it was my own personal system, I'd probably look at a PMC TwentyFive package. Like the Twenty Series, a pair of easy load, but a nice quality jump up to suit.

For speakers like B&W 800, KEF Reference, Monitor Audio Platinum levels, I'd be looking at pre/power combinations.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
We had a Twenty Series package in our AV demo room for a couple of years, initially based on a pair of Twenty.24s, but seeing as they were set to small, we swapped them out for a pair of Twenty.22s, saving a couple of grand on the whole package. It was one of the best AV packages we have had in that room, along with KEF R Series and the Ken Kreisel Quattro package.

D

Deleted member 2457

David@FrankHarvey said:
gel said:
We had a Twenty Series package in our AV demo room for a couple of years, initially based on a pair of Twenty.24s, but seeing as they were set to small, we swapped them out for a pair of Twenty.22s, saving a couple of grand on the whole package. It was one of the best AV packages we have had in that room, along with KEF R Series and the Ken Kreisel Quattro package.
Thanks David, very helpful.

D

Deleted member 2457

What do you think a Yamaha amp will sound like in my current speaker package? The B&W FPM series 6 X 2 5 centre and 4 rears. Pv1 sub? Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts